IGNORED

Why did they deliberately change the name from Ultra Vortex to Ultra Vortek?

sirlynxalot

I was watching a video about jaguar at E3 in 1995 and the prototype version of Ultra Vortek they have running is called Ultra Vortex (see image on left)

As we all know, the game was released under the title Ultra Vortek (see image on right).

Not only that, but the game really doubles down on this vortek idea, referring to the "vortek" on the back of the game box and in the endings.

It seems like a fairly last minute change considering at E3, one of the people demoing the game in the video I watched said it would be finished in a week. 

Maybe it was designed as a marketing thing, or like the equivalent of being cool by incorrectly spelling combat with a K like in Mortal Kombat, or beetles as Beatles.  Nevertheless, it had the opposite effect on me when I first heard of the game and went "vortek? do they mean vortex?  Was this an unintentional misspelling?"

ultravortex.jpg

Edited by sirlynxalot

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Never heard of a sequel?

I was just kidding around. That's one of the pseudo sequels I made. :)

As for the name, it was the 90s. Cool Kidz spelled things Xtreme, like Kombat.

Maybe ... throwing wild ideas at the wall: Ultra Vortek used the modem ... Tech ... 90s Tek.

Honestly, just glad the thing was playable. That makes it a Top 10 Jaguar game out of the gate.

• Haha 1