IGNORED

Intellivision fans - Thoughts on Evercade?

Rev

Just now, T.A.P. said:

I picked one up last year, and I think it's a nice little portable.

The build quality on the systems is hit or miss. The first one I got had a bad screen. Luckily I got it through Funstock.com, and they sent me a whole new system for free.

What about the Vs?

9 hours ago, Rev said:

What about the Vs?

I find myself consistently going back to the handheld to play the Evercade games,many of which I enjoy.

I don't use my VS. much as I don't have a second player to game with on most days.

You can get a long Hdmi to mini Hdmi cord to hook your Evercade handheld up to a TV if you want a larger screen playing option anyway!

5 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

Ooooooh, reminds me of another famously dismissive review ...

https://slashdot.org/story/01/10/23/1816257/Apple-releases-iPod

There were mp3 players before ipod but what Apple did was convince the music industry to sell songs on their system.  That was amazing.

Edit:

If the Evercade has an Intellivision game that you want to play than it can be perfectly fine.  Emulation looks like libretro freeintv but I'm not certain.

Edited by mr_me

1 minute ago, mr_me said:

There were mp3 players before ipod but what Apple did was convince the music industry to sell songs on their system.  That was amazing.

I'm sure CmdrTaco tells himself that before going to sleep every night.  :lol:

1 minute ago, mr_me said:

It was the next logical Step, Music industry was suing everyone to stop Mp3 to spread, Involving them make it viable.

1 minute ago, edintv said:

It was the next logical Step, Music industry was suing everyone to stop Mp3 to spread, Involving them make it viable.

Also, those comments before ignore the fact that the iPod was superior in other ways:  easy, end-to-end integration with iTunes; direct support from the operating system for synchronisation; and easy to use user interface on the device -- and that is not even getting to the coolness of the design and neatness of the click-wheel interface.  It made ripping your own CDs to carry with you a simple, one step operation.  There was even a campaign from Apple to push for this use case.

The iPod was the cool gadget to have by all the kids, even before it was clear that the music store was going to be a hit.

-dZ.

2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Sure there were all types of mp3 players, a lot of it garbage.  Itunes being better, easier is a matter of opinion, I prefer straight file copy.  And my favourite mp3 player to this day only has a few buttons for navigation.

Yes, you are right.  iTunes or the iPad being "better, easier" is a matter of opinion.  I agree wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately for your argument the number of people who shared that opinion was significantly higher than the tech-savvy minority that did not.  That minority included Slashdot nerds like CmdrTaco, and so history looks dimly upon his short-sighted dismissive review.  *shrug*

Back on topic:  I do not know if the Evercade will be a long term success and increase in popularity -- certainly, it won't ever match the iPod to any extent -- but so far it has proven to be well regarded among its intended niche.  It has gotten good reviews, and one thing I read about it is that it is a lot of fun to play.

There are other competing devices out there, but I wouldn't dismiss it off-hand just because it does not match my own personal expectations 100%.

-dZ.

I don't think it's the tech savvy minority that's only capable of copying files from one folder to the other, although for sure there are some that can't do that.  But I didn't think there was a real option to purchase music digitally prior to Itunes.

For Intellivision fans, I'd recommend a flashback over an evercade vs.  Neither is ideal and it's too bad they're out of production but many intellivision fans already have a flashback.

12 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I don't think it's the tech savvy minority that's only capable of copying files from one folder to the other, although for sure there are some that can't do that. 

Maybe not, but they sure are the ones vocal enough to always point out their consternation at why other ostensibly inferior products tend to be more popular than their preferred one.

But I didn't think there was a real option to purchase music digitally prior to Itunes.

I think your assumption that the iTunes store was the main reason for the popularity of the iPod is flawed.  It certainly was a factor, and once it reached critical mass it may have even been the most important one; but the iPod itself did grow in popularity and desireability across the mass consumer market, which is what gave the opportunity to the iTunes Store to take hold.

Also, keep in mind that the iPod was first released in 2001, and the store did not open until 2003.  I remember when the store was opened to much fanfare, but I also remember that iPods were already established as a very popular product by then.

For Intellivision fans, I'd recommend a flashback over an evercade vs.  Neither is ideal and it's too bad they're out of production but many intellivision fans already have a flashback.

Good options.  I personally like the Intellivision Flashback quite a lot, so I would recommend it.  I would only recommend the Evercade to someone who is interested in playing other games besides Intellivision ones.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

I think your assumption that the iTunes store was the main reason for the popularity of the iPod is flawed.  It certainly was a factor, and once it reached critical mass it may have even been the most important one; but the iPod itself did grow in popularity and desireability across the mass consumer market, which is what gave the opportunity to the iTunes Store to take hold.

Also, keep in mind that the iPod was first released in 2001, and the store did not open until 2003.  I remember when the store was opened to much fanfare, but I also remember that iPods were already established as a very popular product by then.

I would say that Apple is above all a top marketing company, unparalleled by its competition.  I didn't remember the timing, but I wouldn't suggest Ipods wouldn't be successful without the store, but the store was what I was most impressed with.  All the publishers suddenly selling songs for 99 cents, amazing.

All I said is that the Evercade has limitations when it comes to Intellivision and you could do better.  That has nothing to with Apple but didn't mind the conversation at all.

16 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I would say that Apple is above all a top marketing company, unparalleled by its competition.

I would say Apple is that, among other things. ;)

For instance, it takes some heavy engineering skill and discipline to successfully manage an underlying architectural transition from one CPU platform to another in a mostly seamless and invisible manner for their substantial (and mostly non-technical) user base -- and it takes even more of it to do it thrice upon the same operating system.

I didn't remember the timing, but I wouldn't suggest Ipods wouldn't be successful without the store, but the store was what I was most impressed with.  All the publishers suddenly selling songs for 99 cents, amazing.

I completely agree.  That, when treated as good natured adults and given a good and easy solution, people would rather pay a small price for something they really, really want, even in the face of various free alternatives of dubious legality or clear illegality -- that is the key insight that apparently nobody had considered at that point.

It may seem obvious in hindsight to some, but it was blindingly novel and counter-intuitive at the time.

All I said is that the Evercade has limitations when it comes to Intellivision and you could do better.  That has nothing to with Apple but didn't mind the conversation at all.

Fair enough.  And all I said was that the comment, as worded, sounded just like another similarly dismissive one which history holds in ridicule.  I was not trying to argue that the Evercade was an iPod, or that it is superior to anything else (I do not know, I've never even seen one); just that such comments -- in isolation and devoid of additional context -- tend to be short-sighted.  It just reminded me of that review from the early 2000s.

Anyway, I also enjoyed the digression. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

On 3/25/2022 at 8:27 AM, wolfy62 said:

I find myself consistently going back to the handheld to play the Evercade games,many of which I enjoy.

I don't use my VS. much as I don't have a second player to game with on most days.

You can get a long Hdmi to mini Hdmi cord to hook your Evercade handheld up to a TV if you want a larger screen playing option anyway!

How's the emulation?

The handheld is a convenient way to play Thunder Castle, Thin Ice, Astrosmash, and Night Stalker.

I notice that its version of Thin Ice is not the same as what INTV released back in the 1980s.