IGNORED

Look at this screen... Tell me what you think?

I got this Inty 2 system and want to try and fix it.

Title screen comes up goofy sometimes, but turns normal with a few pushes of reset.

The real problem is the controllers. When i put in a game, its like the Disc is being pressed in the up position at all times! (You can see the player ran all the way up to top of screen on his own during baseball play).

Its probably an easy fix as the games seem to all work as expected other than disc issue. Opening these controllers is a pain so im just trying to get ideas on what to look for before i crack it open. Hope the plastic doesnt give.

Let me know any ideas if youve run into this before.

20220326_181956.jpg

20220326_182510.jpg

• Confused 1

Some quick basicis....

1. Make sure the cartridge contacts are really clean

2.  Open the INTY and disconnect the and controllers (so much easier with a Sears!!).  Does the game auto start and the player still run?

3. Re-seat all the connections outside of the CPU.

4. Open the CPU and carefully reseat any chips that can be reseated.

i agree, this looks very fixable, but it might take a few tries to get it

3 hours ago, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

Title screen comes up goofy sometimes, but turns normal with a few pushes of reset.

Yes, I have one that does this exact thing. It is not normal to have to push reset to correct a graphics problem. On mine, the rCpy was 1789.... LOL. Controllers are not functioning correctly either. The 9600 and AY-3-8914A are my main suspects, but won't know until I dig into it. Could be power supply problems, oxidized connections, weak/bad solder joints, etc.

I could have tried another controller but am in no rush to fix it as I have 60 INTV's I & II ready to be rebuilt and/or modded. I just take my initial notes stating behavior, tape to console, and put it in a pile of working or not working.

9 hours ago, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

I got this Inty 2 system and want to try and fix it.

The real problem is the controllers. ...

Do both controllers have the same problem?  If it's just one then swap the controllers to make sure it's the controller not the system.  If it's the controller, it could be a short in the cable or problem with the flex circuit.

5 hours ago, walldog1 said:

Which ROM Chip has this part?

All the title screen text except the cartridge title and year is in the grom.

Edited by mr_me

12 hours ago, walldog1 said:

Yes, I have one that does this exact thing. It is not normal to have to push reset to correct a graphics problem. On mine, the rCpy was 1789.... LOL. Controllers are not functioning correctly either. The 9600 and AY-3-8914A are my main suspects, but won't know until I dig into it. Could be power supply problems, oxidized connections, weak/bad solder joints, etc.

I could have tried another controller but am in no rush to fix it as I have 60 INTV's I & II ready to be rebuilt and/or modded. I just take my initial notes stating behavior, tape to console, and put it in a pile of working or not working.

I am in the same boat.

Ill look into it further and maybe swap some parts. Im in no hurry either.

Thanks all for info and ideas. Ill post what i find out.

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

Do both controllers have the same problem?  If it's just one then swap the controllers to make sure it's the controller not the system.  If it's the controller, it could be a short in the cable or problem with the flex circuit.

All the title screen text except the cartridge title and year is in the grom.

Flex circuit looks ok.

Not sure if it is both yet as it does the same thing when i swap out with new controllers.

(I just checked them)

Make sure the round spacer is between the sheets under the disc.

If both controllers have the exact same problem, it might not be the controllers. Try plugging in only one controller and with a cartridge like NBA, NHL, or Tennis, see if the player goes up without there even being a controller.  It would be unusual for both controllers to have the same problem, but if that's what you find, it could be a short in the cable

53 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Make sure the round spacer is between the sheets under the disc.

If both controllers have the exact same problem, it might not be the controllers. Try plugging in only one controller and with a cartridge like NBA, NHL, or Tennis, see if the player goes up without there even being a controller.  It would be unusual for both controllers to have the same problem, but if that's what you find, it could be a short in the cable

Ok...

Ill try.

Ok...

Got this one all fixed! Thanks everyone for the help. All solders and connections were good. I cleaned everything up, tightened up pin connections and switched out 1 controller that was bad. Havent had an issue since. I played a few games fully and no issues! Im not sure if grom is on the fritz or not, but for now its working good.

With that one down, i started to try and figure out one of my many 2609 non-working systems. This one pulls up the title screen perfectly. It looks good no matter what game is plugged in, except it will not go to game play. No matter what button or disc is pressed, it stays at title screen. I took apart and replaced both controllers with working ones... same result. Just title screen. Looks to be something internal.

Any ideas before i start desoldering?

20220329_213023.jpg

Edited by Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog
  • Like 1

Glad you got the first one fixed! If the problem with the characters comes back on that system, I see the following in the Mattel Electronics service manual:

"Test the SYSTEM LOGIC ... Replace the PCB LOGIC ICs as required. ... Most of the graphic problems are caused by PBC-LOGIC ICs U2, U4, U5, U7 and U8." It also suggests checking the power supply.

U2: System RAM, RA-3-9600

U4: STIC, AY-3-8900-1 (this was one of the culprits on my INTV)

U5: Graphics ROM, RO-3-9503

U7 and U8: Scratchpad RAM, GTE 3539

The service manual is here: https://console5.com/techwiki/images/c/c7/Intellivision_Service_Manual%2C_Model_2609.pdf

I was looking at page 2-11.

For your second system, page 2-13 mentions "Picture action freeze-up." It then suggests swapping chips in this order:

U1: CPU (I recently did this with a random freezing problem and it was the culprit!)

U4: STIC

U2: System RAM

U9: System ROM

U3: Program ROM

I hope this helps!

I wish I could find the MTE 201 test cartridge referred to in the manual (for a reasonable price). That looks like it would be very handy.

50 minutes ago, frdarryl said:

Glad you got the first one fixed! If the problem with the characters comes back on that system, I see the following in the Mattel Electronics service manual:

"Test the SYSTEM LOGIC ... Replace the PCB LOGIC ICs as required. ... Most of the graphic problems are caused by PBC-LOGIC ICs U2, U4, U5, U7 and U8." It also suggests checking the power supply.

U2: System RAM, RA-3-9600

U4: STIC, AY-3-8900-1 (this was one of the culprits on my INTV)

U5: Graphics ROM, RO-3-9503

U7 and U8: Scratchpad RAM, GTE 3539

The service manual is here: https://console5.com/techwiki/images/c/c7/Intellivision_Service_Manual%2C_Model_2609.pdf

I was looking at page 2-11.

For your second system, page 2-13 mentions "Picture action freeze-up." It then suggests swapping chips in this order:

U1: CPU (I recently did this with a random freezing problem and it was the culprit!)

U4: STIC

U2: System RAM

U9: System ROM

U3: Program ROM

I hope this helps!

I wish I could find the MTE 201 test cartridge referred to in the manual (for a reasonable price). That looks like it would be very handy.

Yes, me too (re mte201). I used to have a few years ago, but didnt start working on these until recently.

I appreciate the info and link!

Helps greatly.

8 hours ago, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

With that one down, i started to try and figure out one of my many 2609 non-working systems. This one pulls up the title screen perfectly. It looks good no matter what game is plugged in, except it will not go to game play. No matter what button or disc is pressed, it stays at title screen. I took apart and replaced both controllers with working ones... same result. Just title screen. Looks to be something internal.

Any ideas before i start desoldering?

Try a cartridge that plays music and animation at the title screen, to see if the sound chip works.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Try a cartridge that plays music and animation at the title screen, to see if the sound chip works.

Good idea.

Thanks.  I have alot of non-working systems (most of which power up but are glitchy) that i can use for parts. I am new to fixing them so any tricks or suggestions are appreciated.

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

Ahh, that's a good suggestion too. From what I understand, the AY-3-8914 also handles the controller I/O so if that wasn't working it would explain a lot.

Good to know.

Ive already learned so much from this Post and the members.

Im gonna be a veteran fixer by the time im done with all of them. Ha.

Tonight might be a desolder party if anyone is interested. Free Bourbon if you bring your irons!

20220330_102236.jpg

• Haha 1

I tried a few carts with music and motion on title screens...  they all worked. So, before i started desoldering shielding, I decided to try a couple different setups. I switched out the power board with one from a unit i have with bad rom. Then, since it was open, i swapped controllers again (3rd time) and cleaned all solder & contacts. 

Wouldnt ya know...

Works like a champ! 

Im thinking now that both times i switched out controllers, there was an issue with one or two.. not sure yet. Or, a combination of controllers & bad contacts.

Im happy that i saved 2 systems now in as many days. Thanks all for your help. I used all of your suggestions and it worked.

I was surprised that i was able to fix the 2609 without taking shielding off. I know it will not always be so easy but im happy it was.

Now a dozen more to go..lol.

I still want a FreeWheel diagnostic cart if i can find one? If anyone has one they dont wNt, pm me.  Thanks again everyone for the help.

20220330_134452.jpg

20220330_134418.jpg

20220330_134431.jpg

20220330_130642.jpg

20220330_134341.jpg

• Like 2