IGNORED

Key Click Volume?

Larry

The thread about SIO beeping made me think of this...

I have noticed that different computer types (600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, XE) have different levels of key click volume (and also differ relative to the SIO sound "beep" levels).  The 800XL and XE series seem quite OK (to my ears).  OTOH, the 1200XL in particular seems to have a violently loud key click when volume is set to make the SIO sounds only moderate.  The 600XL is similar, but not quite so bad as the 1200XL. 

Are there separate settings for SIO and Keyclick volume in the OS?  I don't want to turn the key click OFF; I just want to reduce its volume.

There is a mixer of sorts where the key click is injected into the audio so that you get the key click on the rf and monitor jacks, you could attenuate it there (add a resistor), or even disconnect it and add a speaker back in like on the 800 :).... you could also split it off to an rca jack and make it the right side channel for that stereo sound... just download some GTIA music (aka beeper tunes)... the world is your oyster.

• Thanks 1

XL uses VCOUNT wait rather than hitting WSYNC as the delay method though I don't think it makes any audible difference.

Of course 400/800 have the internal speaker so that's fixed volume.

XL mixes it into the audio output of Pokey + the external audio in from serial and PBI.  So there's every chance the circuit is different among the later machines which could alter the ratio.

GTIA audio has no provision to change the volume.  Possibly having a tape drive attached and changing Motor On state might affect the GTIA audio.

• Thanks 1