IGNORED

How to install rEFInd for the VCS permanently

.nIk0.

On 12/25/2022 at 2:06 PM, Goochman said:

So Ive been messing around with all of this the past few days with 0 luck.  I have a 1Tb SSD and first installed Bactoera which took the whole disk (8gb partition and then a 550mb one).  I booted Mint via USB and the "Disks" app could not make changes to the partition.  I couldnt resize Batocera nor add new partitions to free space saying it could not makes changes due to not being able to manage the disk.  I gave up on Batocera and installed Mint with 500gb and created another partition for Win10 at 500gb.  Started the Windows installer and was told it cant install due to not being a GPT disk...............I converted the disk to GPT and the installer would not finish..................I changed the BIOS to Legacy and ran the Windows installer again.  Was told it cant install because the disk WAS GPT.............Went back to Mint and repartition the drive as an MBR disk.

The Windows installer seems to be working with MBR partition and Legacy BIOS - not UEFI.

Im assuming anything Batocera brought to the table I can install on my own via MAME.  I left 400GB free on my SSD for Mint or some other Linux distribution.

Batocera doesn't play well with other OSes.  there's ways to deal with it, but I heard that installing EmulationStation on any Linux distribution give the same experience as Batocera.   You may want to try that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 11:20 PM, .nIk0. said:

You can DL VCS Themes, with link to video for the first method. https://tinyurl.com/diskrefindvcs 

Hi, 

These links respond with "This page is not allowed in the US". If I use a VPN set to a different country, the links say that hotlinking is not allowed. Is there another location where these files can be downloaded?

Thanks!

Hot linking is not allowed on Uptobox.
Please use the original uptobox link (e.g https://uptobox.com/abcdefghijkl) and not the direct link, or subscribe a premium account below.
This problem can be caused by several factors:
- Your IP have changed between download link generation and this page.
- You are using a VPN/Proxy or a data saver (like Chrome data saver on Android).
- Someone other than you generated this link.

• 3 months later...

And in case you want to hide the Atari update partition (and keep showing the Atari OS partition), please use this setting in your refind.conf:

dont_scan_volumes "EFI-B" # omit the AtariOS update partition from getting scanned

45 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

And in case you want to hide the Atari update partition (and keep showing the Atari OS partition), please use this setting in your refind.conf:

dont_scan_volumes "EFI-B" # omit the AtariOS update partition from getting scanned

Thanks for that tip, I'll try it out!

it seems like my Atari OS and Update partition keep changing places though?    Like for a while the OS partition works, but then one day it becomes the update partition.    I haven't managed to get a boot manager that works 100% of the time without eventually launching the update.

Anyone else run into this?

42 minutes ago, zzip said:

It seems like my Atari OS and Update partition keep changing places though?    Like for a while the OS partition works, but then one day it becomes the update partition. 

I didn’t realize that; yes maybe those two partitions are switched around after an OS update. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

On 5/15/2023 at 8:10 AM, Dionoid said:

I tried this, but my AtariOS partition is now hidden in Refind. Maybe "EFI-B" isn't current or the layout isn't the same on all systems?

2 hours ago, crash said:

I tried this, but my AtariOS partition is now hidden in Refind. Maybe "EFI-B" isn't current or the layout isn't the same on all systems?

Do you now only see the update partition? In that case I think the EFI-A and EFI-B partitions switch around after updates. What happens if you config Refind not to scan EFI-A?

I changed it to not scan EFI-A and now the AtariOS partition appears in Refind. Super annoying if they are going to switch places periodically 😜 This would explain the problems I have had for quite some time.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:44 PM, Dionoid said:

I didn’t realize that; yes maybe those two partitions are switched around after an OS update. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

They do switch around, but I'm not sure that an OS update is a trigger.   Seems to happen out of the blue?

6 hours ago, crash said:

I changed it to not scan EFI-A and now the AtariOS partition appears in Refind. Super annoying if they are going to switch places periodically 😜 This would explain the problems I have had for quite some time.

There was a post in another thread that said there was a patch coming this summer that would fix this issue.   We'll see

• 7 months later...

With the latest firmware update, the name changed again, and I'm not sure what the correct one is to omit. With the following active:

dont_scan_volumes "EFI-A"

all of the Atari EMMC partitions are omitted.

I commented out this line for now, but rEFInd no longer identifies any of the AtariOS partitions as linux, so it is using the wrong icon now. I'm trying to figure out how to resolve that. 

10 hours ago, crash said:

With the latest firmware update, the name changed again, and I'm not sure what the correct one is to omit. With the following active:

dont_scan_volumes "EFI-A"

all of the Atari EMMC partitions are omitted.

I commented out this line for now, but rEFInd no longer identifies any of the AtariOS partitions as linux, so it is using the wrong icon now. I'm trying to figure out how to resolve that. 

Does reFind still boot into Atari OS with the wrong icon?  If so, you can always make a theme and force it to use the icon of your choice.

I did notice with the latest firmware, my grub installation can no longer boot into AtariOS,   But I haven't sat down to figure it out yet,  I've been hitting escape at boot instead,   I was considering switching to reFind.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to make an adjustment to my icons, but now they are all showing up correctly. I think I was using unknown OS for the Atari icon, and I may have renamed it to match the OS. I don't recall off the top of my head, but let me know if you need me to look it up. Also, I had put something in rEFInd to prevent the AtariOS firmware update partition from loading, but after the most recent update, they renamed things so it was preventing both AtariOS partitions, so I had to remove that.

12 hours ago, crash said:

I had to make an adjustment to my icons, but now they are all showing up correctly. I think I was using unknown OS for the Atari icon, and I may have renamed it to match the OS. I don't recall off the top of my head, but let me know if you need me to look it up. Also, I had put something in rEFInd to prevent the AtariOS firmware update partition from loading, but after the most recent update, they renamed things so it was preventing both AtariOS partitions, so I had to remove that.

I only see one Atari partition under the BIOS boot manager now.  Did they remove the firmware update partition?  Or change how that works?