IGNORED

RetroTINK 5x. Is it worth it?

Same here.  I have a 2X Pro and I love it.  If the 5X is as good as it looks on paper then it is a beast!  I also agree that $300 is a lot of money.  If you've got the cash then buy the flash!

• Like 3

I would love to have a 2x mini or 2x-pro but their website says:

"Sega Genesis and PS1/PSOne composite video generates off-spec signals and may not work correctly."

I have a Genesis model 2.

?

Edited by guitarmas
added txt " I have a Genesis model 2"

7 hours ago, guitarmas said:

I would love to have a 2x mini or 2x-pro but their website says:

"Sega Genesis and PS1/PSOne composite video generates off-spec signals and may not work correctly."

I have a Genesis model 2.

?

I'll bet they work Great with HD RetroVision Componenet cables (made for your Model 2),  but I don't know...My new advice to you is to buy an Analogue Mega SG first!  Then with an HD Genesis (style) FPGA (HDMI out) in your collection, you can focus on everything else...

Just a thought.

https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg

• Like 2

Another thing I've always wondered about...No idea if these are good or not,  though they sound like just another (Chinese) brand of Retro Tink type scaler...

https://www.amazon.com/Jdeijfev-Retroscaler2X-Converter-Line-Doubler-Consoles/dp/B09R4C2FBG/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=retrotink+5x&pd_rd_r=a4c6e7eb-5a25-4f75-8308-cf513c3683b9&pd_rd_w=taJet&pd_rd_wg=vzH4M&pf_rd_p=4fa0e97a-13a4-491b-a127-133a554b4da3&pf_rd_r=K42B5M0RNH3VQBD809T2&qid=1649571731&sr=8-6

41FMvy1QQfL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I wonder if anyone has reviewed these on YouTube or anything?   (I'm heading off AA right now or I'd look)...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I had no interest in this sort of thing at all until I saw this thread.  Now I want one.   Dammit!   ?  Time to research the difference between 2x and 5x

I know... it's 3x. 

You must own a Jaguar as I see you've done the math. ?

• Haha 1

I like mine, but my TV is older and apparently has a slower refresh rate so the whole screen would dim when scrolling in certain games (mostly older stuff like nes, genesis, snes).  It has nothing to do with the 5X itself, but it's something to keep in mind.

I also found that no matter what filters I put on games, they still didn't look as good as they did on a crt.  But since most people don't have large CRTs laying around, the 5X is the next best thing.  

Oh and one other annoyance I found with the 5X was that the Component, Composite, and S-Video all use the same set of audio plugs.  Keep that in mind If you plan on hooking up multiple systems.

3 hours ago, guitarmas said:

I would love to get the Component cables for my Genesis. Unfortunately my 52" doesn't have component input. Bummer.

I have those, and they look great, but they're a pain to use on my CRT.   They scoot the image to the left about 1/8th of the screen or so, and I have to adjust the screen each time I use them, and back when I'm done.   I don't remember the specifics, but their official support said it was "normal" and had something to do with the overscan from the Genesis.  So, usable, look great, but annoying.  

• Like 2

Ya see,  I'd love to use the HD Retrovision Component cables going into my Retro Tink 2X Pro, Hopefully getting rid of all the little patterns and artifacts that S-Video does on my Genesises (Genesi?), for High Quality output from an actual Genesis (HDMI)...Of course that said, I Do already have an Analogue Mega SG so it would really be just to give me more options, for more HDMI.

Also of note,  I've tried cheaper (like $20-$35 range) converters for S-Video,  and while some work, (though they aren't line doublers)...I've had at least 2, maybe 3 that just quit working.  They really don't seem to be very well built,  and I just wished I'd bought the Retro Tink sooner and not even messed around with the cheap stuff...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I have those, and they look great, but they're a pain to use on my CRT.   They scoot the image to the left about 1/8th of the screen or so, and I have to adjust the screen each time I use them, and back when I'm done.   I don't remember the specifics, but their official support said it was "normal" and had something to do with the overscan from the Genesis.  So, usable, look great, but annoying.  

I didn't have that problem so much with component, but with RGB on my PVM it's super annoying.  Each systems wants to move the image a certain amount left or right (SNES and NES seem to be about the same though so that's what I use as my base).  I ended up getting an RGB video shifter to manually correct and center the image.  It works well, but it's annoying to have to do that for each system.

• Like 3

I didn't have that problem so much with component, but with RGB on my PVM it's super annoying.  Each systems wants to move the image a certain amount left or right (SNES and NES seem to be about the same though so that's what I use as my base).  I ended up getting an RGB video shifter to manually correct and center the image.  It works well, but it's annoying to have to do that for each system.

I have the same problem with my PVM and found the same solution. [emoji1]
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2022 at 10:54 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Similar to the others, I have a 2x Classic and can't say enough goods things about it.  The 5x is pretty pricey, but if you can swing it, then why not.  Good luck and happy gaming!

RetroTink2X.jpg

HDMIoutput.jpg

Look at that picture!  Beautiful!

If I didn't already have one,  I'd buy one based on this post! ;)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Look at that picture!  Beautiful!

If I didn't already have one,  I'd buy one based on this post! ;)

Thanks.  I'm very happy with its output.  If/when it dies, I'll get a 5x or whatever is available.  I'm sold on RetroTINK products. 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2022 at 1:59 PM, joeatari1 said:

You must own a Jaguar as I see you've done the math. ?

well 5x - 2x = (5 - 2) x = 3x .... he's not wrong you know!

Now onto the RetroTink,

I have both a Tink 2x-ProMulti (not currently in prod anymore https://www.retrotink.com/post/introducing-the-retrotink-2x-pro-multi-format ) and a Tink 5x and the Tink 5x is better all around, with any/all Tink-2x products your TV/Screen MUST be able to sync to the vertical frequency which for these consoles is a little off (HDMI requires a strict 60Hz or 50Hz) as those are only scan doublers.
Your mileage may vary but in my case some console/TV combinations would just not work with the 2x but are fine with the 5x in buffer mode (which adds a little lag but at least works .... in this regard it's very similar to the xRGB mini just better all around).

I chose the 2x-ProMulti (instead of the 2x-Pro) because it was "better" supporting 480p passthrough etc... it costed the same so I chose that, little did I know the 5x was coming out relatively soon (I think less than a year) ... if I had known I would just have bought the 5x.

(together with the 2x-ProMulti I also purchased Mike's RGB2COMP transceiver so I could use the 2x-ProMulti with Scart inputs and it worked, the Component RCA connectors on the 2 devices line up perfectly so you can use 5 male2male RCA adapters and join them .... I assume the same is true for the 2x-Pro ....).

If you have to use Scart sources (you can find Scart cables for quite a few consoles like Megadrive, Master System, neo-geo/cd, atari jaguar, saturn, PS1/PS2) and you end buying both (like I did) that will set you straight in the 200US$ .... note that per-console special component cables will cost you even more in the end.

• Like 2

The RT5X makes the Framemeister completely obsolete as far as I am aware, and pretty much everything else on the market for that matter, but it is expensive and that is the price you must pay to get the best thing there is. You want me to make you want to buy one? Behold the glory of my RT5X + Sega Mega Jet (basically a Mega Drive 2, so basically a Genesis 2) + HD Retrovision on my PC monitor. Check out those jailbars! Oh yeah, there aren't any jailbars because the Mega Jet is incredible.

Pic_0414_986.thumb.jpg.e94939d79e10c635d07dc5e6a9c27ad5.jpg

Pic_0414_988.thumb.jpg.a0441c3172d8155f40809930f5729128.jpg

34 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

If you have to use Scart sources (you can find Scart cables for quite a few consoles like Megadrive, Master System, neo-geo/cd, atari jaguar, saturn, PS1/PS2) and you end buying both (like I did) that will set you straight in the 200US$ .... note that per-console special component cables will cost you even more in the end.

You can get the HD Retrovision Genesis cable + adaptors for all of those except the Jaguar for less than $150 USD total + shipping.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

When I got my 5X Pro I decided to upgrade all my SCART cables from the 'ebay specials' I had been using to something a bit more robust.  I found that the Insurrection Industries cables were the best for the price.  Lots of people gush about Retro Gaming Cables and Retro Access but they were really REALLY pricey and RGC was in the UK I believe so the shipping to the US was costly.  They're all good cables from what I understand.

I couldn't find a decent SCART RGB cable for my DC (I'm using a SCART composite one), so I ended up just using my VGA box on a monitor.  For some reason real RGB SCART cables for the DC are uber expensive.

• Like 2