IGNORED

New Manufacture SIO Cables from VCC?

Larry

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these new SIO cables from the Vintage Computer Center.  I've made two previous purchases from VCC and have been well pleased with the products.  Has anyone purchased one of these new cables?  What do you think about them?  Fit, sturdiness/durability, etc.?  If you've bought one, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.  BTW, it's great to be able to actually purchase new SIO cables!

https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/3-atari-sio-cable  (3' cable)

https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/5-atari-sio-cable  (5' cable -- but not quite 3 meters) :)

• Like 1

If that is the case, I can say that I have one of Lotharek cables and it look good quality to me. No problems at all

Edit: I rechecked the VCC page and they still look 3D printed to me. Particularly, the white connector, probably a problem with the pictures.

Also my cable (Lotharek) does include 12 conductors, instead of 13, but the missing conductor is one of the two grounds rather than the Motor Ctrl, as stated int he webpage. Therefore, there is not functionality difference with the original (I have used Lotharek SIO cable with Cassette drive, MIDI and RVerter based modem).

I guess that is a mistake in the description. Gavin is super responsive and might clarify the situation, soon.

Edited by manterola

I messaged VCC about the cables being from Lotharek, and the photo appearing to show 3D printed connectors and they responded "Yes they are and it's an old photo."  So there is one positive user response about the (Lotharek) cables.  Any others?

You actually have two positive responses. I also think they are good. They feel and look like the original Molex ones, except that the cable jacket is grey instead of black and the strain relief is different. I can upload some photos later.

Edited by manterola
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, manterola said:

You actually have two positive responses. I also think they are good. They feel and look like the original Molex ones, except that the cable jacket is grey instead of black and the strain relief is different. I can upload some photos later.

Oops! Yes, re-read your earlier post. Make that two, and now three.  So I think I'll order one to cut for my AVG CART.  One thing I think someone should offer are cables about a foot long (for stacks of drives).  BEST used to sell those, but are no longer listed.  And just saw your pictures -- thanks, those cables look very good!

I just received my order from VCC.  The SIO cable (from Lotharek) looks great!  It actually fits in a couple of my 600XL's better than the original Atari SIO cables.  (Original plugs were slightly too large and would not fully seat in the 600XL SIO socket.)  Lotharek/VCC get an A+ from me for these cables!  And I won't be cutting this one -- I'll cut an old one and use the new cable.