IGNORED

Intellevision heating up?

jham55

So I bought this used, took out the power supply and put in a new one. After turning it on it started to smell like something was melting. The corning started to get hot. I'm not sure what to replace at this point but curious what you all think.

thanks

John

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

It doesn't look like anything is amiss in your pics in that everything looks pretty normal there. That said, Intellivision model 1 consoles do get hot...very hot. There are three components that get right toasty on that PSU board alone. Both voltage regulators, along with the high watt power resistor there just center of the board. The other really hot spot is actually on the main board itself and is where the two 3906 transistors are located. They are taking in a high amount of voltage (I've seen as high as around 20v) and it causes them to get really hot. So hot in fact that many boards actually show discoloration on the PCB from the heat over time.

The main power transformer can also get warm, but it doesn't usually get to skin burning temps like the other components I mentioned do.

• Like 1

Can you post a pic of what you are using to connect the unit to your TV?  I'm not sure what you are describing is what I am thinking.  

The TV will accept the signal direct from the ANT port.  Should work on any TV with that setup. 

You should be using a female RCA to male RF coax antenna adapter like this... 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BYD8GV4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_6M91VD63FN4PXBMR0B1A

Unless it has a video converter already installed, then you can go with RCA to RCA.

Do you have a multi-meter.  Some basic voltage checks on the power board will tell a lot.  

https://youtu.be/SuitUmqk_TQ

Edited by IMBerzerk

11 hours ago, jham55 said:

Thanks so I tried it again and it doesnt seem to be turning as hot.  I cannot get a game to play though. I added a picture and video to what is happening.  I tried 2 different games. Are there tvs that I cannot use. I'm using an RCA Video Cable with RF TV Connector.

You should use a shielded RF cable.  An AV cable does work, although you might get interference.  The TV should have an NTSC tuner, if it doesn't it can't tune in analog channels.  Try both channels three and four.

Edited by mr_me

1 hour ago, jham55 said:

Hey thanks for the messages im using a  female RCA to male RF coax antenna adapter to the back of a insignia lcd tv. When I go to tune analog channels nothing is found. It picks up digital channels.

When you do the scan on your TV does it scan for analog as part of that process? If so, then you might need to have the Intellivision plugged in with a game and turned on while the scan takes place so that the TV can 'see' it and lock into it as a valid signal. If you don't see a check for analog (could be labeled as cable too btw), then your TV might be digital only. If that is the case, then the Inellivision and any older console that is RF only isn't going to work without either getting a converter such as using a VCR or RF demodulator type device, or having the console upgraded with something like composite video output.

How do you hook up using the VCR method? I can try that as well. I have an RCA tv and a older JVC VCR. I have the RF Cable going to the VCR using the RF out  using the RF adater. Then I hooked the  Yellow and RED cables from the VCR to the RV.  Is this correct? There is an antenna out on the VCR and a RF on the tv that I'm not using.

4 hours ago, jham55 said:

I only get a blue screen for channel 3 and 4.  Is there something else to tune a vcr?

The standard output signal for the INTV is an RF signal. If you have an old CRT TV , therefore non digital, then you can run straight to TV using Coax adapter.

Running thru a VCR, DVR, etc. will change the signal output and send to the output Composite, S-video or whatever other outputs on your in between device. But this is where INTV hook-up to some digital TVs or monitors using this method gets problematic. Not all digital TV's will recognize this signal and give horrible picture or worst, nothing. Try a different TV just for grins.

If your digital TV turns out to be the problem, you can always add a modification kit directly inside your INTV and this will guarantee that it will work with any digital TV.

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

That's correct, use the composite video out from the vcr.  You'll have to tune the vcr to channel three or four to match the Intellivision.

This will work 85 - 90% (a guess) of the time. Some digital TVs just can't understand signal it is receiving.

I have heard that Atari's will work with most every set up and any brand TV. However, this does not apply to Intellivisions as they are a little fussier. I don't know why, I have just read this often and have first hand experience selling refurbished Intellivisions on eBay. Customer had an Atari set-up and I guess he used same set-up for the INTV. He did not take pictures of connections. He only sent pics of white noise. He did not contact me first and filed a broken claim. Lost $90 because of my wording. I got it back, worked fine, resold to another customer who was delighted. Now I think I scare people off because I will only guarantee my listing works with older CRT TVs. I also add to contact me for work around solutions, other options to make this work, or any other questions. I actually get more side business off of my eBay listings than sales.

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

When you do the scan on your TV does it scan for analog as part of that process? If so, then you might need to have the Intellivision plugged in with a game and turned on while the scan takes place so that the TV can 'see' it and lock into it as a valid signal.

I finally tried this idea 3 months ago on my 2009 Panasonic Plasma. This is old enough that I get the option to search for channels analog or digital. So I had my running INTV hooked to antenna input, searched for analog signals only, but the TV did not recognize the RF signal. Bummer, but I got my question answered.

18 hours ago, jham55 said:

I only get a blue screen for channel 3 and 4.  Is there something else to tune a vcr?

A blue screen should indicate the TV is getting a signal from the VCR but the VCR is not getting a signal from the Intellivision.  A switch under the Intellivision selects the output channel, make sure you try both.

We don't know if this Intellivision works.  Check the voltages coming out of the power supply board.

https://console5.com/wiki/Intellivision

Is the connection coming to the power supply board from the transformer backwards?

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

Is the connection coming to the power supply board from the transformer backwards?

I looked at original pictures again and now I see it is backwards. My guess is that you may have damaged something on the DC Board. Check that the 6 test points including 6L (with Logic Board wires attached) are within spec. If 6Loaded is not in range, that can point to a problem in the LB.

I am curious why you changed the entire power supply system to start with? And any other testing done?

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

The first transformer might be okay, just needing a plug.  Test voltages for the transformer are on page 2-8 of the service manual.

Did the cord get cut right at the 1st transformer? If yes, on that 1st transformer, carefully pull and bend the sides of the top cover off of the transformer where power cord goes in. This will give you access to about 2 to 3 inches of wire. Now you can add your own power cord. I took an old fried transformer apart once to see its construction, that's how I know this.

Here are the AC voltage acceptable ranges. Pins 4 & 5 are the blue and yellow wires FYI. Pins 2 & 3 are the same as pins 1 & 3. Green/yellow tracer wire is a center tap for pins 1 & 2. I usually get about 9VAC for 3&1 and 3&2. These 2 values need to be almost identical or there is a problem developing on the Center tap portion. Pins 4&5 usually measure around 18VAC.

2101129092_2609ACVoltagetesting.thumb.jpg.631b9ae0d4b2f6517642e9e5cdf80600.jpg

2 minutes ago, jham55 said:

So should I recap the power supply, or buy a new transformer. Nothing is coming across from voltage on any of the tests.

Like Mr. Me mentioned, add a cord to first transformer and measure that one to see AC Voltage measured. Cut so your connection is inside the console. If good, then test DC test points.

Unless you have lots of money, the only Cap that might need changing because of wrong AC plug in direction is the 16V 10,000qF cap as it would have had 18-19VAC applied. But they build in some tolerances so it may have lived. Pull/ testing the caps is the best thing to do if no leaking or bulging seen.1459786100_2609PowerSupplyDiagram.thumb.jpg.5dae074074fd22d0baa79f4bbb4253f6.jpg

Once that is acceptable, go on and measure the DC test points without Logic Board 2 connectors attached. If good, turn off power and then attach LB wires and measure TP 6Loaded. That reading gives me some insight into possible LB problems. Usually reads a little higher than set point (up to 12.85VDC). They have 0.02% +/- tolerances.

10 minutes ago, walldog1 said:

So should I recap the power supply, or buy a new transformer.

You remind me of my automotive technician days (25 years). A Customer throws a whole bunch of parts at their vehicle, it still doesn't work, and it ends up as my ticket repair job. Usually, it is none of the parts customer installed because no diagnostic approach was formed or they knew little about cars and watched some YouTube back yard hillbilly suggestions. This is not a knock of your repair capabilities.

Use the 1st transformer with cut cord, repair cord inside of console, and test that one for AC voltages. If good, then hook to DC Power Board and test DC Test Points. If all measure good, you are all set. But the 5V DC regulator might have took a hit from extra voltage, or a few of the 0.1qF caps (not in the rectifier), or a Zener diode.

You may not have to buy anything, but it is a step by step process of repair to find any other bad parts. I am sure you have an old appliance/extension  cord laying around your place somewhere to fix Input voltage cord of 120 VAC.

You can download a copy of the repair manual on line to help you if your problem lies even further down the line than power supplies.