IGNORED

810 drive "Load Error" vs "Boot Error" when booting?

Larry

I seem to remember that these are two different types of error, but can't find the distinction. Can someone explain this?  I have an 810 that won't boot, and just does the "810 'SNARK' sound" and puts up "Load Error."  Most of the search results that I get here at AtariAge are about tape "loading errors."  Even with quotes, the search engine doesn't make a distinction. (I think it should.)

I think one (boot) is an overall inability to boot and load is a file system based error, ie it can see the disk in the drive but can't load from it. (I think that's the difference)

Well for me that is the most logical explanation...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Thanks 1

There's only "BOOT ERROR" with the stock OS.

I don't know where "Load error" comes from - language processors will usually just spit out an error code and "Load error" is too generic to be much use (I guess Error 20 from Basic could be classified as such since it happens when trying to load an invalid file as a Basic program)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

There's only "BOOT ERROR" with the stock OS.

I don't know where "Load error" comes from - language processors will usually just spit out an error code and "Load error" is too generic to be much use (I guess Error 20 from Basic could be classified as such since it happens when trying to load an invalid file as a Basic program)

There is no software loaded (including Basic), so it would have to come from the OS or the drive's rom. But I'm not sure which OS I was using -- probably Omniview.  Omniview seems to allow more old stuff to work than the Omnimon OS.

Omniview XE has LOAD ERROR in the ROM instead of BOOT ERROR (tried in emulation with a blank image)

Whatever reason, who knows?  Modded OSes like that were generally used by people with higher technical knowledge so it's not like they'd be asking what a boot is.

• Thanks 1

My first thought is this is the result of a custom/replaced OS...

Checking some of my XL/XE OS's...

• OmniMon XL - BOOT ERROR
  • OmniView XE - LOAD ERROR
  • XL BOSS V1 - LOAD ERROR
  • XL BOSS V2 - BOOT ERROR
  • OSN XL - BOOT ERROR
  • SuperMon '86 - BOOT ERROR

Funny XL BOSS switched back to "BOOT ERROR" in V2...

• Thanks 1