IGNORED

Has anyone bought an 810 Happy Enhancement from B&C?

Larry

If so, what version of the Happy Enhancement did you receive and install? There are H, L, and X versions, and I need to know what kind they are supplying.  Or did you have to call B&C and give them more info about your 810 drive?  

There is a similar issue with the Rev7 upgrade rom.  You need the serial number of the Enhancement of <5000 or >5000 to get the correct rom.

3 hours ago, videofx said:

I have and the version you receive is based on your 810. I called B&C to Mae sure I received the correct version.

Anyone have more info on these different versions ?

To my knowledge there are MPI mech 810s, Tandon mech 810s, and early 810s (MPI mech, no analog board, with or w/o data separator).  The latter drives (early 810s) should get newer power boards and the analog board.  The later MPI and Tandon drives, I though were identical minus front bezel and the mechanism.  As far as I know the firmware and electronics are the same ?  So why are there different Happy versions ? 

810s have been worked on, upgraded, etc over the years, so you could easily have a drive who's internals don't match the serial # on the decal on the case. 

There is some information about this in the Happy 810 Enhancement Installation Instructions.  My recollection from many years ago is that I had to call Happy Computers and give them info about my 810 drive.  My original drive required an "H" model.  Here are the install instructions:

Happy 810 Enhancement Installation Instructions.pdf

It would appear that at least -H and -L were for different socket types on the sideboard.  Atari probably used different socket suppliers, and to get a good fit maybe different size pins were required ?

Can anyone confirm if this is the only differences between the -H, -L, and -X Happy 810 enhancement versions ?

• 11 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, cwilbar said:

It would appear that at least -H and -L were for different socket types on the sideboard.  Atari probably used different socket suppliers, and to get a good fit maybe different size pins were required ?

Can anyone confirm if this is the only differences between the -H, -L, and -X Happy 810 enhancement versions ?

As mentioned in...

There are 3 versions of the Happy810: HE810S-X - HE810S-H and HE810S-L.
Installing the X-version requires a lot of soldering. Small warning in the manual: 'Do not use a soldering gun'. This one was the cheapest version.
With the H- and L-version the color of the 40-pin socket (
ed. re-atari: I presume the author means a 40-pin socket on the sideboard) is decisive. A black socket requires version L, a blue or brown socket version H."