IGNORED

What is the Atari Jaguar's Biggest Design Flaw / Problem?

Jag64

37 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Maybe. But you put it in the same ballpark as the Vita which does not make much sense: it's 80 Million vs 16 Million.

While the PSP was not "the Walkman of the  21st century", it was still a very popular handheld console, especially in Japan with the Monster Hunter games. 

Sorry but no. 

I responded to talk of:

"To be fair, most companies have screwed the pooch a time or two (or three or four) in the home market. Look at Sega." 

And simply used the Vita and PSP as examples of pooch screwing by Sony. 

You talked of sales figures. 

I'm talking about the systems as a whole and how they didn't live up to wider expectations for Sony and the hot water Sony landed itself in with them. 

Least we forget the 'racist' PSP advertising campaign.. 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-withdraws-racist-psp-ad-campaign

I thought these and the Vita issues were well documented? 

Some of the Vita ones.. 

The memory card issue:

A mere 32GB memory card was around $100, and even a 4GB memory card was what.. $20?

Flagship Vita games clocked in  around anything upto  4GB at the time and required updates, so the smaller cards soon ran out of space. 

The Federal Trade Commission filed a lawsuit against Sony..

Sony's advertising campaign for the PS Vita before it launched, saw the company touting 3 notable features:

remote play, cross-platform gaming / saving and 3G play.

The FTC claimed that Sony misrepresented how these features would work and how many games supported them.

Screwing the pooch relates to handling of a product in all aspects, not just sales. 

Anywho, this is going way off topic and I have no wish to derail it any further. 

Edited by Lostdragon

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

While the PSP was not "the Walkman of the  21st century", it was still a very popular handheld console, especially in Japan with the Monster Hunter games. 

And you have to admit it is a rather cool looking device even years later. UMD lost out to YouTube/NetFlix/Co. but who should have guessed that when it was developed?

Can't say much about the Jag's shortcomings as I don't understand the innards well enough. Can't even say more buttons would have been better as I struggle with 3 already, having been raised on Atari single-button sticks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slx said:

And you have to admit it is a rather cool looking device even years later. UMD lost out to YouTube/NetFlix/Co. but who should have guessed that when it was developed?

Can't say much about the Jag's shortcomings as I don't understand the innards well enough. Can't even say more buttons would have been better as I struggle with 3 already, having been raised on Atari single-button sticks. 

Totally agree, which is probably why I still own so many PSP systems, along with a decent sized stack of UMD movies and games ?

3 hours ago, Jag64 said:

How in the fck can people spend so much time on a site devoted to Atari and not have a fcking clue which Atari was which?

I usually don't say anything because I don't want to be rude, but I'm often surprised by the level of ignorance about video games in general on this forum. Of course I tend to forget that I know a lot about it because it's my "job" but still, I don't understand how people can spend so much time playing video games and ignore so much about it.

Sometimes we're not that far from people wondering why Atari doesn't release a new Space Invaders or a new Pac-Man, for instance. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:22 PM, roots.genoa said:

I usually don't say anything because I don't want to be rude, but I'm often surprised by the level of ignorance about video games in general on this forum. Of course I tend to forget that I know a lot about it because it's my "job" but still, I don't understand how people can spend so much time playing video games and ignore so much about it.

Sometimes we're not that far from people wondering why Atari doesn't release a new Space Invaders or a new Pac-Man, for instance. ?

Look at YT and Games Authors these days, an awful lot of them are covering platforms and subjects they are painfully unfamiliar with, taking historical viewpoints, yet either didn't own them at the time or weren't even born. 

History is being replaced by pure speculation and one-sided accounts. 

Forums themselves are a dying breed. 

• Sad 2

On 5/6/2022 at 3:22 PM, roots.genoa said:

Of course I tend to forget that I know a lot about it because it's my "job" but still, I don't understand how people can spend so much time playing video games and ignore so much about it.

I dunno. As a kid I was completely oblivious to industry politics and the forces that shaped it. I just wanted to play my vidyahgamez and that was it. At the most I would wonder why a certain game was made for one system and not the other. Or perhaps say to myself why they can't do this or that..

I still like to maintain some form of ignorance today and keep the mystery alive. Like the innocent days long past.

• Like 3

I like to hear about the technical challenges and the personal stories of individuals solving them. Always good to hear a fellow engineer's lightbulb moment they still remember 20yrs later, a fun office prank/inside joke that became an easter egg, or a story about a party after a horrible crunch.

The politics and generally the business moves are probably best left to the past. That stuff is rarely satisfying to hear about and tends to be very similar to business dealings in any other industry then or now AFAICT. Still, it's hard to resist a little armchairing when the opportunity arises.

• Like 2