IGNORED

Expensive NES games that are worth playing

Often when people ask for NES recommendations, I hesitate to recommend some of them due to how expensive loose copies tend to get. So I thought to make a dedicated thread about them for anyone willing to pay more for them, so that they can know what to expect when looking for more games to buy and enjoy. Of such games, my recommendations would include:

Wacky Races

The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper!

Snow Brothers

Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom

Fire'n Ice

DuckTales 2

Bomberman II

Rockin' Kats

Gargoyle's Quest II

Metal Storm

• Like 1

Of course with bootlegs, repros, and pirate carts (esp. Famicom) many prices can be lower...Or a list of ROM recommendations for your Everdrive can look an awful lot like a list found here...

I'd say,  if you're considering them,  maybe look up some videos of gameplay to make sure you're gonna like it,  or conversely you might want a cheaper option like I mentioned above.

Off the top of my head,...And I haven't checked prices in a while...

Bucky O'Hare

Bubble Bobble (1 & 2)

Gun Nac

Recca Summer Carnival

Little Samson

Zombie Nation

For some reason a couple of games I thought were high dollar are actually quite affordable like Pinball Quest or Little Nemo (which I must have confused with Little Samson)...I had a pirate Fami cart of Flintstones 2, and I thought it was fun but a ridiculously high price for the real deal...Also I don't recommend a real deal Recca Summer Carnival '92 as it's just too high to ever justify (Fun game though)...

Edited by GoldLeader
I wanted to add part 2 of Bubble Bobble as well :)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Of course with bootlegs, repros, and pirate carts (esp. Famicom) many prices can be lower...Or a list of ROM recommendations for your Everdrive can look an awful lot like a list found here...

I'd say,  if you're considering them,  maybe look up some videos of gameplay to make sure you're gonna like it,  or conversely you might want a cheaper option like I mentioned above.

Off the top of my head,...And I haven't checked prices in a while...

Bucky O'Hare

Bubble Bobble

Gun Nac

Recca Summer Carnival

Little Samson

Zombie Nation

Bubble Bobble 2 is the expensive one, not the original.

SCAT

Kick Master

Ninja Gaiden 3 and Shatterhand are now in the $100 range for a loose cart.

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Bubble Bobble 2 is the expensive one, not the original.

SCAT

Kick Master

Ninja Gaiden 3 and Shatterhand are now in the $100 range for a loose cart.

Yeah, Bubble Bobble Part 2’s prices go for like 20x more as the original. They don’t play too differently from each other though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Yeah, Bubble Bobble Part 2’s prices go for like 20x more as the original. They don’t play too differently from each other though.

Yeah and Both are fun!  I've played the original lately, but haven't played Part 2 in a while...However,  You guys are right and I edited my post to also include Part 2.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head not reading up on posts before and sticking to US stuff I'd come up with.

Duck Tales 2

Bomberman 2

Gargoyles Quest 2

RC Pro Am 2 (seeing a pattern here)

Rescue Rangers 2

Bubble Bobble 2

Mighty Final Fight

Gun Nac

Bucky OHare

Little Samson

Panic Restaurant

Ninja Gaiden 3

Kickmaster

Metal Storm

Rockin' Kats

Felix the Cat

Bonks Adventure

Mega Man 1 and 5

Dragon Warrior III and especially IV

That's some, trying to think of the near $100 and up from there stuff.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Off the top of my head not reading up on posts before and sticking to US stuff I'd come up with.

Duck Tales 2

Bomberman 2

Gargoyles Quest 2

RC Pro Am 2 (seeing a pattern here)

Rescue Rangers 2

Bubble Bobble 2

I understand that quite a number of sequels to NES games were also released on NES, even when the SNES was out, in support of the NES being sold at a cheaper, bargain bin price for those that didn't feel like buying a SNES, explaining why other games like Kirby's Adventure and StarTropics II released on NES when they did. I'm not sure how true that is though.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

I understand that quite a number of sequels to NES games were also released on NES, even when the SNES was out, in support of the NES being sold at a cheaper, bargain bin price for those that didn't feel like buying a SNES, explaining why other games like Kirby's Adventure and StarTropics II released on NES when they did. I'm not sure how true that is though.

Well actually you're not off the mark on some.  Partly it was the massive install base so it made sense as people still were scooping up considerable amounts of games, others yet were just cheap and small team easy to make so they could run less, sell less, and do nicely.  But as you guessed, some really did just pop up to help move the system, especially as late as 1993/94. The red top stuff like Capcom refused to do Mega Man 6 so Nintendo did, and 5 was done in a smaller run which is why it's costly now.  Star Tropics II, red topped reissue of both Zelda games and Metroid fall in there too, Wario Woods(the last) it was to keep the top loader/nes alive into late 1994 early 95 to gobble up cheap easy sales because that top loader was only $50 for its later time on the market.

6 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Are any of these expensive because they are worth it or just expensive because flippers have succeeded in selling them at high prices?

I mean, I bought Phantasy Star II for around $80 bucks but at the time the amount of ROM it had justified the price.

Both.  Stuff i listed I'd legitimately own, seek, and play if the prices weren't a disgusting joke, a few I do have, a few I wish I hadn't released back into the wild (Gunnac, TMNT fighter, Contra Force, BB2, Bonk, Metal STorm, Kickmaster, RCP2, but it is what it is.  At this rate I have some famiclones of Rescue Rangers2 and Panic Restaurant, and I have famicom for Bonk as its 20 vs like 600 or whatever...screw that.  Recently found a wicked cheap newly made multicart for famicom (famicom remix 1+2) and it has most of these games on it to avoid paying sharks.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Are any of these expensive because they are worth it or just expensive because flippers have succeeded in selling them at high prices?

I mean, I bought Phantasy Star II for around $80 bucks but at the time the amount of ROM it had justified the price.

I think that pretty much any NES game released after August 1991, when the SNES released in America, tended to sell less copies, and ended up selling for loose copies on the internet for prices higher than they did at retail. That might not be the case for games published by Nintendo though, since I understand they tended to produce more copies of a game due to being a bigger company to begin with, like Kirby’s Adventure.

• Like 1

If someone is trying to use real hardware and their goal is primarily to play, not collect, the first thing I would recommend is a flash cart. Honestly, that should be anyone's recommendation in this day and age. Prices are bonkers.

That said, some of my favorite "expensive" games include Ninja Gaiden III, Shatterhand, Mega Man and Mega Man 5. They obviously aren't up there with the likes of Little Samson, but being anywhere from $70 - $130, I wouldn't call them "cheap" either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use a kit as a last resort, I'm finding less it more is smarter as you actually bother to use it.  To combat the prices, get rid of something you don't use, then scoop the nicer stupid priced item with the funds that just freed up.  Kind of fits nicely into the box of something new, but less in the way and less out of the wallet to get there.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if I can explain this...But here goes:

I actually think this topic could be read 2 ways.  2 practically opposite ways.  And most

of us shoot for a definition landing somewhere in the middle.

Definition #1:   Games worth playing,  and the games are expensive.

Definition #2:   Games so good they are worth the expensive price.

This was why my initial list had Bubble Bobble 1, but not 2.   Even though it's expensive,  Bubble Bobble 1 is worth it.  Bubble Bobble 2 is not worth the astronomical price, (Yet is still a game worth playing)...

Not sure if this makes any sense...But might explain why most of us are starting to put good games on here...While at the same time recommending cheaper ways to actually play them.

PS:  I still think this is a Great topic,  it just contains a bit of a paradox depending on how you read the title.  ?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

This was why my initial list had Bubble Bobble 1, but not 2.   Even though it's expensive,  Bubble Bobble 1 is worth it.  Bubble Bobble 2 is not worth the astronomical price, (Yet is still a game worth playing)...

Bubble Bobble 1 is *not* expensive though, unless $15 for a cart is expensive to people around here? I'm a little confused on that one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Austin said:

Bubble Bobble 1 is *not* expensive though, unless $15 for a cart is expensive to people around here? I'm a little confused on that one.

Well,  if ya knew my current financial situation,  you'd understand...LOL!

I was thinking it sold for more I guess.   Haven't priced too many things lately.

Yeah Bubble Bobble has been in the $15-20 range since before the virus, oddly it dodged getting worse.  I could only guess why as it's a great game, as if the NES CE had some impact or it's getting more obscure outside of the 30+ aged fans.  A few months back I was happy to get it for $20 with a manual as the paper costs as much as the cart.

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah Bubble Bobble has been in the $15-20 range since before the virus, oddly it dodged getting worse.  I could only guess why as it's a great game, as if the NES CE had some impact or it's getting more obscure outside of the 30+ aged fans.  A few months back I was happy to get it for $20 with a manual as the paper costs as much as the cart.

I presume the original game sold well enough in 1988 to be well known even to this day, in contrast to Part 2 which released in 1993. If a game released after the SNES came out, and was only realized in hindsight to be worth getting, then it tends to be more sought after:

RbzEBGW.png

• Like 1