IGNORED

What was the worst system ever made?

On 10/24/2022 at 8:37 PM, Reaperman said:

Remember when they stopped supporting 3dtvs because 'nobody wants to wear those lightweight 2032-powered shutter glasses'?

Instead, now we strap a whole cell phone/lens setups to our faces and magically there are no complaints

I was never into 3DTV because it's too limiting.  VR puts you into a full 360 degree 3D environment so it's a lot more insteresting IMO

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I have one. Would it be possible to make a homebrew game for this thing?

Oh my gosh--never thought about it, but probably, and pretty easily.  My guess is it works like the xavixport. meaning the 'brains' of the games are in each cart, with power, sound, and buttons being passed around through cart pins. (educated guess, I've never checked)

A pi-zero, with a small screen could possibly make the best 'game wizard' cart ever. 

• Like 1

If it works like other "LCD games consoles" then yes, the brains are in the ccarts and the console is just a fancy gamepad.

Modern Chinese LCD games (yes, they are still made) unfortunately doesn't work that way, with game variants in the console and the screens are just screens with a select pin to choose the right "game".

Depending on which is which you could make a homebrew, or not. As in the second game, the screen only receive information and select a game, it doesn't send data.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 4:48 PM, roots.genoa said:

I guess it depends on your definition of 'worst'. If the worst system is the one with the best rated games, then yes, the Wii U might be the worst system ever. 🙄

Nope. Definitely the worst console in the history of consoles. Even the crappiest of consoles at least we're quirky and or physically cute. The Wii u was an ugly shiny white and black chocolate bar that scratched so easily feather dusters left skid marks which is fitting since it was a turd.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Nope. Definitely the worst console in the history of consoles. Even the crappiest of consoles at least we're quirky and or physically cute. The Wii u was an ugly shiny white and black chocolate bar that scratched so easily feather dusters left skid marks which is fitting since it was a turd.

OK, sorry for trying to be factual. 😬

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The Wii U is a much better system than any home console Sony has released since 1994, and it isn’t close.

Whatever you’re smoking to make you believe that – you can probably find a “big dollar” buyer like Snoop Dogg or something to take the whole lot off your hands  🤣

I like the Wii U quite a bit, but with a fraction of the PS2, PS3, or PS4 library size, usually got the shaft and had the inferior 3rd party titles, and digital library is tied to that specific system, so when the NAND corrupts (known issue according to Nintendo’s Customer Care) your digital games are just gone and can’t even be transferred to play on another system (again, according to their Customer Care)

Even Nintendo didn't like the Wii U that much.

Best thing about the Wii U is how easy it is to ignore the Wii U and play (often superior versions) of the Wii U games on PC using Cemu

• Like 2

WiiU fits the worst.  I'm not thinking of just gaming content, but the total big picture of the console on the whole and it's impact both on the industry and specifically, Nintendo as a company.

Of all the systems and handhelds being dumped on here in the thread, ask yourself this?

Did this system cause the company to have its ever first recorded loss on the stock exchange for a quarter, repeated quarters even?  WiiU did

Did this system cause the company to have its ever first recorded loss year over year on the exchange? WiiU did this too

Did this system cause the company to have such losses that they had to reorganize internally, fire/transfer/close internal departments to lessen the bleed?  WiiU did

Did this system cause the company to not just once, but repeatedly shut down production housing tons of units to sit unpurchased in warehouses because no one bought it?  WiiU did.

Did this system cause known developers to run away from the company entirely causing them to create nothing?(Other than snark and shade)  WiiU did

Did this system have critical flaws with the internal workings of the machines own code causing the system to get stuck for periods of times just using the menu?  WiiU again

Did this system have such a poor design that its internal workings were backwards to the others causing ports to be utter nightmares, often left not happening or buggy/lesser?  WiiU did.

I can continue this, but I think those 7 points are enough to say F the PiiU.

Quite honestly unless you're a Nintendo fan denier it's pretty clear to get, if they didn't own a large chunk of the Pokemon juggernaut, they'd be the Sega of 20 years ago today because of that shit bag system.  3DS helped cut some of the bleed, Pokemon did too, yet they were still lost into the billions range on finances because of that turd despite those 2 pillars propping them up around that colossal failure.

The only value the WiiU had was first party games, and all but one or two are now on the Switch or 3DS in this case so even they get the turd needed to historically be scrubbed from existence while allowing the only good it had to get a fair and honest fight to earn consumer money and appreciation on a system that doesn't suck balls (switch.)

• Like 3

What I will say about wii-u is that it's a handy way to play all generations of powerpc nintendo (gc/wii/u/triforce) in one console via HDMI. Granted I got my wii-u used, once the price deflated out, and I instantly hacked the snot out of it. Outside of the lonely online lobbies, that was probably the best time to get in. My expectations for its library were not high, so it naturally vastly exceeded them, especially since it's big titles were something near $5-10 each at the time.

BITD, I can see it not being a great console, but it's smaller library had a decent ratio of winners. Of them I think xenoblade chronicles x is the only exclusive that I hugely loved which hasn't been moved or light-sequel'd over to switch. That game's got a crazy story, even by xenoblade standards--more of a xenosaga game, almost.

I've got a huge soft spot for the thing, and keep it in rotation, but primarily for backwards compatibility.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

I like the Wii U just fine.

Say what you will about the Wii U...The System has a D-PAD!

Now look at Switch:

11149258?fmt=auto

Seriously...What is that??  It doesn't even have a D-PAD!!??  It's got some shit in the wrong spot it must think is a D-PAD, but it's not!  I know,  I know,  people will say but ya need the Classic controller or Pro controller or something...But...That thing just looks Awful to me.   Games for the Switch do seem pretty cool however, but how many make ya use that analog stick that is somehow in the wrong spot on Both sides??

Edited by GoldLeader
(Ducks!)
  • Like 4

The Wii U gamepad is one of the most comfortable controllers I’ve ever used, and it brought the DS experience to the big screen. The range to the main unit was miserable, but I have much better memories playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on it than on GameCube (or Wii). The Switch is kind of awful to play handheld  no matter what model I’m playing. The Split Pad Pro helps but it’s still poorly balanced and too heavy.

It was also the last time (ending with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, which started as Wii U games) that Nintendo had a real creative spark. All of the Switch’s best first party games are Wii U ports. Nintendo’s been flailing creatively ever since, even though they’ve been raking in the money. I have hardly played any first party games on the Switch, as I don’t feel drawn to any of them. The Switch is essentially just a way to play my (expensively repurchased) Steam backlog. If the Steam deck had come out earlier I may have even skipped it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The d-pad isn't worth crying over just how shitty out of the box start to end WiiU is at their asking price or even a good fraction off, the damage it did to Nintendo was critical and could have Sega'd them right out of existence.

The only value the WiiU has was made very clear again by reaper -- a hacked system, if you hack it and load all your powerpc console goodies to it for HDMI use, and the rest with even older via emulation fine, it's cool.

But defacto it's fucking garbage, point blank.  You want a d-pad, get a pro controller on Switch, sure it's an added controller, but that's a light complaint compared to that shitbox.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I will concede the Wii U table controller was comfortable.  But even playing it alone in my bedroom caused me embarrassment to hold. I always shut my blinds when playing the Wii U as imagine most people who played or did.

Tanooki, we should get together and make some Wii u smash videos! (Not the game, but sledgehammer meets console). I'll spare the controller because those are gonna be crazy to come by in the future. (You know there's gonna be some weirdos lining for it ten years from now).

• Sad 1

Of course the HyperScan is a game console. What the hell else would it be? It is also a toy, as that is what all video games and all video game systems are, without exception.

Yes, the Wii U is kind of shit unless you hack it, but just Mario Kart 8 alone is better than the entire libraries of garbage like the HyperScan, the game.com, probably the RCA Studio II, and arguably the 32X, although Virtua Racing Deluxe is pretty great.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:30 AM, wolfy62 said:

I don't know if this qualifies for making it the worst,but definitely the most frustrating from a hardware perspective has to be the Genesis 32x. The games looked ok,it was just so hard to set up to play.

Those stupid metal clips you had to insert into the Genesis were a complete pain in the ass and would constantly get dislodged or not stay in place.

Just a horrible design.

I never used those metal clips. It worked fine without them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

It did???

Damn,I wish I knew that 30 years ago!😄

Yeah most of the units I've been through didn't even have them included as they were lost. But they worked fine even on my model 1 systems. I think they were either there to prevent scratching of the unit when sliding them in or out, or they were to block RF interference which I have also never experienced on a Sega system. I do get interference in my main bedroom so I can't play my older Atari systems in there, but they work fine without that interference in my other rooms. I don't know if it is the electrical circuit causing the noise or if it is because of the nearby bluetooth devices.

Sega CD will also usually work without the metal plates attached to them.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1