IGNORED

Physical USB Game Cartridges for Atari VCS

Hello all,

Some of you may know who I am from my Jaguar releases. But what you don't know is that I have had plans for the Atari VCS for some time now. I have tried over the course of the past 2 years to open up a dialogue with Atari SA in getting some conversions of my Jaguar games put in the VCS store. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a single response.

I have a plan B, it is a game changer, and I have decided to roll with it. In this thread I will explain the idea of System VCS Cartridges in full detail and  as well as provide info on what the first 3 ATARI VCS game releases from WAVE 1 GAMES will be. This thread will also serve as the birthplace to something that I hope will become a much bigger and more important thing for both Atari VCS fans (and collectors!) and aspiring VCS developers. I will try to make the info in this first post as easy and organized as possible. I encourage any input folks may have here and feel free to ask questions.

System VCS Cartridges Overview:

What is System VCS Cartridges? System VCS Cartridges are a new idea from WAVE 1 GAMES that allows us to create new game content for the system without actually being in the Atari Store. These games require no install, they will self boot outside of the AtariOS so they will be instant plug and play games just like old cart games were. I will detail the advantages of this later on in the next few sections. These are games that will be on a USB cartridge in the same exact shell and art label style as Atari 7800 and 2600 game cartridges. The only visible difference is that they will have a USB 3.0 connector where the cartridge connector is on the older games and each game will come with a short 3.0 USB extension cable in the box. Visually they will be just like a 2600 cartridge but these games will use 16 GB USB flash memory. The ideal place to connect them would be on the second USB port on the front side of the VCS however you could connect them to any of the 4 available ports.  

How do these work, and what will they look like?

Each cartridge will contain its own OS (most likely custom builds of Lindows) that will boot via usb boot. These OSes will be stripped down meaning there will be no desktop or start menu or anything that the end user can access. They will be locked so as the only thing running on boot up is the game and a few other programs running in the background that keep things going like the VCS controller and internet. These cartridges will be made by hand using USB flash sticks and 2600/7800 shells. They will each come with color boxes, and full color manuals just like our Jaguar releases have. For the VCS games the boxes will be almost identical to the style of the ATARIVCS controller and console packaging, ie the top of each box will have purple/red/orange/yellow flap with game logo on it.  both the left and right sides of the box will be brown or cardboard colored with the games title in bold white lettering. The bottom flap of the boxes will be solid red with info about wave1game and such. The back of the boxes will contain info and screenshots of the game similar in style to our Jaguar releases. The face of the boxes will be all white with an artwork square centered just like the old 2600 and 7800 boxes were. The bottom left hand corner of the front of the box will contain bold black text that says Physical USB Game Cartridge The developer logo will be on the bottom right hand corner where the Atari logo is on the other packaging (In this case Wave 1 Games) and in the upper left hand corner will be a custom blue and red logo that says SYSTEM VCS

DISCLAIMER: If I can establish contact with Atari SA, work out a deal and this becomes an official line of Atari licensed products this logo will be the official ATARI VCS logo. I will not use the official logo if these are unlicensed. As of this writing the plan is to proceed with these as UNLICENSED physical game cartridges, but this is subject to change.

Why do this and what are the benefits?

For starters having a self contained game on a USB cartridge allows the user to save space on his or her Atari VCS system. Some users may not have upgraded their systems with bigger hard drives and disk space may be sparse if they wish to keep buying and downloading all of the great new games from Atari.

Plugging in a game and instantly going into the game is another bonus. No navigating through the AtariOS or waiting for a system update just straight into the fun, just like the old days with cartridges.

Something to collect! A lot of people enjoy collecting, this new Atari system doesn't currently have anything to collect for it being that its all digital making some people write it off as "not a real Atari console"

Utilizing a custom OS for each individual release means we have more options for indie developers to get their ideas onto the console. Currently the Unreal engine, Unity and Game Maker 2 seem to be the go to route to make games for the system. But what about all of the other software out there? This opens the door for more developers to come along and use virtually ANYTHING to make a new game for the system. I'm willing to bet some of you guys out there started a game project back in the day on some older software like MMF or even Dark Basic games that you may have given up on and put to rest indefinitely can now be revived and come to fruition after all of these years!

I don't want this to be just a Wave 1 Games thing. I encourage other indie game devs to jump on board me and use this new format to both get their ideas out there and at the same time increase the Atari VCS library. I hope that seeing a physical game cartridge on the new VCS will inspire folks to jump in and start getting creative, after all it was always Ataris intention for the homebrew scene and tinkerers to keep this thing interesting and afloat.

After the fire sale at Gamestop all of this crazy talk about, "will Atari stop supporting the system" started. Well if that does happen (even though I do not believe this is happening anytime soon) it is likely the store front will go down and no new games will be available for the system. This new format allows for the system to get new games for as long as people want them.

What games will Wave 1 Games release on these cartridges?

Fast Food 64 Deluxe: A new version of my Fast Food 64 game that I started working on a year ago specifically for the VCS. This was the game I was pitching to Atari for the Atari store. I am also making a Jaguar version of the game alongside it and the plan is to release both game versions simultaneously. The VCS version of the game as of this writing is about 90% complete. The Jaguar version is 60% completed.

More info on this game to come very soon

JagZombies 2: A conversion of my last Jaguar game running on a real 3D engine this time around. With 16 GB of flash memory this version of the game will contain actual 3d models, rich textures and much much more blood and animations than was possible on the Jaguar version of the game. As of this writing JagZombies 2 for the VCS is about 20% completed.

RETROPIA: A game I started on for PC but ultimately abandoned. This game will have you flying one of 2 crafts to take on inter-dimensional alien invaders in arena style levels with controls and gameplay similar to Robotron 2084. An onboard computer guide named Vinny will trash talk you along the way and provide tips for each mission. This character was very much inspired by Cybermorphs' Skylar.

As this game was already very far along in development when I abandoned it, as of this writing Retropia for the VCS is about 80% complete 

These are the planned first 3 releases on cartridge for the VCS from Wave 1 Games, but if this all goes well there could be many many more in the future. As I stated before, I want other developers to come on board with this idea too so we can make System VCS carts a viable source for exciting new and unique games for the Atari VCS

When will we see the proof of concept?

I can't give an exact date at this time, but the plan is to build a few prototype System VCS cartridges and let interested people from right here on Atari Age try them out on their VCS systems at home! Not only will this serve as beta testing, but it will give folks a visual aide vs a wall of text that will help in understanding exactly just what the hell this idea is.

If you are interested in trying out one of the first System VCS prototype cartridges please shoot me a PM. (The game will likely be Fast Food 64 Deluxe)

For now I will let those who took the time to read this book digest it, and I hope people find this idea as interesting as I do.

comments? questions? additional ideas? Feel free to reply!

Thanks guys

Edit---> I just considered the possibility that maybe one of Atari SA's people could see this thread. If you do maybe now we can talk?

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
typo
  • Like 12

It's an interesting way to physicalize games for the system. Hope it works! As an oldster from the original VCS days I would find a USB connected cartridge to be a cognitive dissonance festival. Perhaps fresher minds would disagree?

And yet I did similar on my emulation PCs for a while. At first it was CF, then SD, then portable HDD, then hot-swap SSD. Had one for MAME, Classic Consoles, Astronomy, Doom, early ID games, shmups, science.. And more. All looked nice on a small shelf with cartridge-like labels.

Eventually I got tired of updating and swapping and managing space on removable media and just stuffed it all on the internal HDD. Convenience was becoming an issue. The whole concept of lending physicality to otherwise invisible data bits is good one, but I had to go about it another way.

I made laminated sheets highlighting the top software and put them in a series of thin 3-ring binders. Each sheet has the project logo, an introductory paragraph or two, the project's art (if any). And on the reverse is a reference card/chart for the important commands.

I suppose it's similar to getting a collector's box and some sort of NFT code and trading card. But without the NFT nonsense of course. Looks just as nice as a shelf of removable media. What I'm saying is it's a way to lend some physicality and presence to what's otherwise invisible bits on a disk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

It's an interesting way to physicalize games for the system. Hope it works! As an oldster from the original VCS days I would find a USB connected cartridge to be a cognitive dissonance festival. Perhaps fresher minds would disagree?

And yet I did similar on my emulation PCs for a while. At first it was CF, then SD, then portable HDD, then hot-swap SSD. Had one for MAME, Classic Consoles, Astronomy, Doom, early ID games, shmups, science.. And more. All looked nice on a small shelf with cartridge-like labels.

Eventually I got tired of updating and swapping and managing space on removable media and just stuffed it all on the internal HDD. Convenience was becoming an issue. The whole concept of lending physicality to otherwise invisible data bits is good one, but I had to go about it another way.

I made laminated sheets highlighting the top software and put them in a series of thin 3-ring binders. Each sheet has the project logo, an introductory paragraph or two, the project's art (if any). And on the reverse is a reference card/chart for the important commands.

I suppose it's similar to getting a collector's box and some sort of NFT code and trading card. But without the NFT nonsense of course. Looks just as nice as a shelf of removable media. What I'm saying is it's a way to lend some physicality and presence to what's otherwise invisible bits on a disk.

Physical media has a lot of appeal as Evercade have proven, they have built a very loyal fanbase around collectable media and their own hardware to play them on (incl. Atari stuff).  Yet those carts are just repackaged SD cards (I've done some hacking with those).  There is something very reassuring about having something tangible to hold and use that is not reliant on the internet, whether it is to provide downloads or some online service which can vanish tomorrow.  Like you say, it adds physicality to invisible bits.

• Like 5

A SATA SSD kinda looks like a cartridge.  A USB external SATA SSD dock kinda looks like a cartridge slot.

Why not put a sticker on an SATA SSD drive as a cart label and call it a cart?  Install Linux and launch a commercial use friendly emulator for a game?

I think there needs to be a clearer value add to warrant something like a console cart format.  Like reading real 2600/7800/Jaguar carts and launching them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

A SATA SSD kinda looks like a cartridge.  A USB external SATA SSD dock kinda looks like a cartridge slot.

Why not put a sticker on an SATA SSD drive as a cart label and call it a cart?  Install Linux and launch a commercial use friendly emulator for a game?

I think there needs to be a clearer value add to warrant something like a console cart format.  Like reading real 2600/7800/Jaguar carts and launching them.

you mean like this one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-USB-3-0-to-2-5-SATA-Hard-Drive-Docking-Station-with-3-Port-USB-3-0-Hub/49419794

I do like the idea of the VCS getting 3 more USB ports.

and the smallest one I can find is this 32GB drive

https://www.walmart.com/ip/KingSpec-SATA-II-SSD-2-5inch-32GB-SATA-Solid-State-Drive-High-speed-Shockproof-Solid-State-Drive-for-Desktop-Computer-Laptop/368491056?athbdg=L1400

my only issues I see with your version of the idea is if I go this route the boot up time may suffer. This way you are still using USB but I'm not sure the boot to USB option would work the same way and if it did, would it be slower? This would also require each person wanting to buy a System VCS cartridge to purchase the additional hardware of the USB dock.

I'm not throwing this one completely off the table, I do like the way that SATA SSD looks. I need to think about this one further.

Do you have a USB SATA dock yourself?

• Like 3

I boot Windows off of USB solid state storage (NVMe based).  Even hobbled by USB throughput SSDs get you a better experience than what they put into most USB sticks.  Only some of the traditional USB Sandisk Ultra series have been OK booting and running a full copy of Windows.  Linux should be far more graceful - especially if you choose Debian, Arch or roll your own.

I have a USB HDD dock somewhere.  But, usually I use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA

• Like 1

Pretty sure USB sticks (while greater in capacity today) are worse in performance + endurance because TLC and QLC, whereas older ones are SLC/MLC.

An SSD can do multiple chips to compensate for the slower parts used today. So that makes the SSD experience better. And SSD is just engineered differently anyways. With different goals in mind. IMHO that needs to filter down into jumpdrives.

• Like 2

Its seeming more and more like these cartridges will have to be using a custom built OS from the ground up that use Windows emulators to run .exe files. I will have more info on this as soon as I get it.

As for the SATA SSD option Im leaning towards it if the boot to usb protocols work in the same manner as say a Windows XP portable thumb drive. The idea is plug it in fire it up and jump instantly into whatever game you have menus and GUI. I dont want it to FEEL like the user is booting up an OS but rather popping in a cart for play. I suppose I could make the prototype I spoke of AND try a SATA SSD and see which one works best or as close to how I intended and then ultimately go with that one.

Another thing I already mentioned is that the particular dock I shared is only $20 and it adds 3 more USB 3.0 ports to the VCS. I dont know about you guys but thats a hell of a bonus for me! I clould also buy some of those and offer them for sale in my store. I could even rebrand them with the SYSTEM VCS logo I guess. Didn't the Atari 2600 have an add on for it called the supercharger or something of that nature or am I thinking of another system?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Didn't the Atari 2600 have an add on for it called the supercharger or something of that nature or am I thinking of another system?

Yes it did. At the time it was a novel idea. Instead of cartridges we could use cassette tapes. We knew and understood that there was a practical advantage of more memory & bigger games than the lowly 2K and 4K cartridges. Way of the future! This was also another example of doing something because it could be done. The idea never went much beyond the SuperCharger and tapes for consoles died pretty quick. Adam and stringy floppies died too.

Now.. I don't know if I like it that the SYSTEM VCS "cartridge" itself would have a USB port on it. And that it plugs into the VCS directly via cable That's no better than a USB HDD plugging into a PC. My god I'd be a rich guy these days if I had a dollar for each time someone told me that that method has zero personality. Or that it's just a hard drive with zero tactile feel and no nostalgic throwback to cartridges.

A docking station is a step closer. But now reminds me of external card readers used in conjunction with early digital cameras and some MP3 players. A dotcom era technology that might be retro - but not in a desirable way.

What I could get to like is somehow modding the console to accept a flash memory device without any visible cables. Maybe like a sidecar arrangement or replace part of the housing and give it a slot to plug stuff into.

OR, make a dock that has VCS styling cues to it. Not something PC'ish looking. Or maybe a set of stickers that make an existing dock look visually in-sync with the VCS itself.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Keatah said:

OR, make a dock that has VCS styling cues to it. Not something PC'ish looking. Or maybe a set of stickers that make an existing dock look visually in-sync with the VCS itself.

This was what I was suggesting based off the SATA SSD dock idea

• Like 1

I'd use 32 bit WINE and 32 bit emulators.  You might go crazy trying to figure out incompatibilities in 64 bit and WINEtricks doesn't work (64 bit).

If you're not used to customizing your own Linux you might be able to get away with Puppy Linux.  It's small, fast to boot and made for session based customization:

https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To have a cartridge feel about it, it would need to become active and present a game menu within seconds of power-on. 5 max IMHO. Somehow the the bloat of today would need to be countered. How? Dunno. That's for technical wizards to figure out. They've got billions of cycles per second to work with. So it shouldn't be impossible.

The original VCS presented us with a fun and challenging game 45 years ago. Instantly. Using parts that were literally clocked thousands of times slower.

It was just like the red-LED handhelds and other electronic toys of the era. Instant on. And that was so important to a kid.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

I think there needs to be a clearer value add to warrant something like a console cart format.

Maybe.

18 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Like reading real 2600/7800/Jaguar carts and launching them.

I totally dislike cartridge readers/dumpers however. Like the RetroN 77 from Hyperkin. There's always compatibility issues. And it's not real like a 1977 VCS where the cartridge contained an integral part of the system, a fixed-function program in a diode array (in consumer-friendly removable format).

And the amount of engineering and programming needed to interact and use a cartridge's information in real-time would essentially need a 100% accurate emulator or FPGA. Because just dumping isn't enough. And reading a checksum and launching a ROM is just so fake.

• Like 2

I guess my main point is that it needs more cowbells.  Don't think the extra steps involved in plugging in a fake cart is exciting enough for joe enthusiast.

If Atari doesn't want to let homebrew developers in WAVE 1 GAMES could go to Steam or Itch.io.  Getting someone to boot to USB just to play a game might be hard.  I hope I'm wrong :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keatah said:

And the amount of engineering and programming needed to interact and use a cartridge's information in real-time would essentially need a 100% accurate emulator or FPGA. Because just dumping isn't enough. And reading a checksum and launching a ROM is just so fake.

Not only that but this idea is meant to extend the VCS life by adding a new potential source for homebrew games should the good servers at ATARI VCS LTD go down in the future. NEW content. Not the ability to load older games. That has been done to death already anyway. I'm fairly sure that anyone who owns a modern VCS probably already has a way to play these older games. They either own original hardware or 1 of a bazillion compilation packs that have been released over the last 40 years. I'm staring at a Flashback 9 right now in front of my TV that has all of the older games loaded onto an SD card, thats on the top shelf. Exactly one shelf down is my AV modded 7800 and the 10 or so carts that have survived decades of me not playing them. I can't be the only one!

And yes I said Atari VCS LTD. The company that is the registered owner of the VCS is a sub brand of Atari SA, and an LTD on top of that! However long the VCS has left, Atari SA seems to have their companies best interest at heart. I want to enjoy the system for what it is and get the most we can out of it for as long as we can. I really hope other developers get on board with this idea too. I guess folks could create a new storefront in the future to replace the Atari one but that sounds complicated just thinking about it. Would likely require owners to mod their systems similar to how people modded their Wiis. I dont see a whole lot of people wanting to do that. Physical carts that people can hold in their hands and enjoy a new game? Thats what Atari homebrew is all about. That's FUN!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I guess my main point is that it needs more cowbells.  Don't think the extra steps involved in plugging in a fake cart is exciting enough for joe enthusiast.

If Atari doesn't want to let homebrew developers in WAVE 1 GAMES could go to Steam or Itch.io.  Getting someone to boot to USB just to play a game might be hard.  I hope I'm wrong :)

I dont think so. By default the Atari VCS will boot to a USB drive. I know this as I connected my USB SSD with Windows 10 on it (from MY vcs) directly to my new VCS I bought for $99 right out of the box! It booted up just fine. There aren't any extra steps for the end user. That's the whole point

well..... buying the dock would be an extra step. But that's why I originally said USB carts made from thumb drives and 2600 shells

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Thats what Atari homebrew is all about. That's FUN!

Good enough. I personally don't like online stores for games. Unless the stuff can be downloaded and saved locally to contemporary media. Or the media of my choice. Whatever lets me play a game years down the road without server dependence.

When we were kids we started collecting without knowing we were collecting. Just having a small wall of carts meant there was always something to do on a rainy day.

Presently.. One of my PCs still accepts SSD cartridges like so.

2421F901-E0E4-4D4B-8BD0-0CFB21D20A6Eb.thumb.jpg.bec098c076ec91126fb2c5dd61951cff.jpg

This can work for me since I came from the cartridge days. And having "been there" means I can apply nostalgia to a small box of chips containing my favorite stuffage. But I kind of have to work at it. As mentioned elsewhere I've grown attached to the convenience of having it all stored internally. Eventually this rig is destined to be decomissioned or donated or re-imagined into something more practical.

Today's youth may not see the full benefits of having things available offline. They'll need some convincing.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Keatah said:

Yes it did. At the time it was a novel idea. Instead of cartridges we could use cassette tapes. We knew and understood that there was a practical advantage of more memory & bigger games than the lowly 2K and 4K cartridges. Way of the future! This was also another example of doing something because it could be done. The idea never went much beyond the SuperCharger and tapes for consoles died pretty quick. Adam and stringy floppies died too.

Supercharger for the new VCS?  :)

usb-cdrom.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...