IGNORED

Please test: FG99 firmware for both non-QI and QI

JJB

Hi Geoff, 

Can you give us a bit more detail on how this happened, which versions you used etc? Bricking through SD updating should be unlikely, minus a powerfail or perhaps a bad GROM port connection. 

I guess if you have a FG99 that has trouble updating the AVR and you brick it, the only way to get it running again is indeed the programmer. Others can just re-update as the bootloader (who does the AVR updating) will still run. 

Bad luck! Just ping me if you need any help. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 9:28 PM, JJB said:

Hi Geoff, 

Can you give us a bit more detail on how this happened, which versions you used etc? Bricking through SD updating should be unlikely, minus a powerfail or perhaps a bad GROM port connection. 

I guess if you have a FG99 that has trouble updating the AVR and you brick it, the only way to get it running again is indeed the programmer. Others can just re-update as the bootloader (who does the AVR updating) will still run. 

Bad luck! Just ping me if you need any help. 

I followed the directions in one of the prions posts: do the update.pld and then subsequently the update.avr files in the root of the SD card. The pld image seemed to work fine, but not the avr update.

I’ve got the programmer now, so I’ll try that next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 12:45 AM, Geoff Oltmans said:

OK, I ran a couple of attempts again to run the update after recovering my board.... the first attempt failed with the quick flashing light, and required reprogramming out of circuit. The second attempt did the same thing, but was recoverable loading the old firmware and cpld code through the update process.

Hi Geoff, 

This is puzzling; you say the out of circuit programming went OK (presumably with 1.3?) but when you tried to update the AVR it screwed things up and you had to get out your programmer again; but for the 2nd screw-up you were able to update the AVR normally? 

Did you try to load the updated AVR firmware at all through the programmer? What about the updated CPLD? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 10:37 PM, JJB said:

Hi Geoff, 

This is puzzling; you say the out of circuit programming went OK (presumably with 1.3?) but when you tried to update the AVR it screwed things up and you had to get out your programmer again; but for the 2nd screw-up you were able to update the AVR normally? 

Did you try to load the updated AVR firmware at all through the programmer? What about the updated CPLD? 

Not exactly. After recovery with the v1.3 image, I attempted to load the cpld and avr update files in order. The updated cpld was accepted, the avr image however did the same fast blinkt thing as it did during the first attempt where it bricked, but this time I was able to recover to 1.3 with the same on target update process. I haven’t tried to load the updated firmware through the programmer yet.

To be honest I’m wondering if something else is wrong with my final grom board. Several cartridges do not work correctly when there is anything plugged into the expansion port on the console, speech or peb. Without anything plugged in it seems to function correctly. At first I thought this was a problem with my console, but I’ve since borrowed another from a work friend and it behaves similarly with that one (though not precisely the same). I loaded the test software from the GitHub repo on the SD card and the grom tests flake out when things are connected to the console and run fine without. Maybe something marginal with the cpld programming or the cpld itself?

Both consoles are black and silver. mine its an early one, my friends is a later one (no solid state cart badge and the tray for the overlays)

I guess your experience is similar to some other members experiencing FG99 instability / random behavior at times. Your marginal comment triggered me as well; although I can't speak for the FG99 I have designed a sideport peripheral myself with an initial batch of 5 working right of the bat after assembly (the hardware isn't overly complicated). 8 months later, I am now building a second batch of 5 with the initial 2 displaying weird timing behavior.  I can only conclude that some of the IC's I ordered recently are either marginal or fake. And yes most of them come from reputable sources although for some I can't avoid Ebay.

Still curious if the updated AVR would work through your programmer ;-)

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, JJB said:

I guess your experience is similar to some other members experiencing FG99 instability / random behavior at times. Your marginal comment triggered me as well; although I can't speak for the FG99 I have designed a sideport peripheral myself with an initial batch of 5 working right of the bat after assembly (the hardware isn't overly complicated). 8 months later, I am now building a second batch of 5 with the initial 2 displaying weird timing behavior.  I can only conclude that some of the IC's I ordered recently are either marginal or fake. And yes most of them come from reputable sources although for some I can't avoid Ebay.

Still curious if the updated AVR would work through your programmer ;-)

Do you have a .bin file I can program out of circuit via the programmer?

Sorry for the delay... I got the firmware loaded using the programmer and... it works! In fact, it works much better than the v1.3 firmware on my unit. Several games wouldn't work at all if anything was plugged into the expansion connector (speech or PEB) and now they are working properly. I also tried the GROM test images from the github repo and that test passes too.

This was on not one, but two non-QI units. One was an early black and silver, and the other a later one (no solid state cartridge badge with drop in overlay tray).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Geoff Oltmans said:

Several games wouldn't work at all if anything was plugged into the expansion connector (speech or PEB)

I have run into this issue, as well, but I cannot recall which of my FG was responsible.  This is both a thank you to you, and a reminder to me to check this out.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 5:56 AM, arcadeshopper said:

i noticed the test firmware removes the ability to load a single cart in the sdcard and have it bypass the menu

If I put just one cart image on the SD, it is listed directly as choice 2. What do you see then: nothing, the FG99 choice with just one cartridge, anything else etc?

On a separate but related topic: you were going to program the AVR in 2 FG99's out of circuit to see if it would enable the normal AVR update process (a la Geoff's approach); curious if you have any results to share?

51 minutes ago, JJB said:

If I put just one cart image on the SD, it is listed directly as choice 2. What do you see then: nothing, the FG99 choice with just one cartridge, anything else etc?

On a separate but related topic: you were going to program the AVR in 2 FG99's out of circuit to see if it would enable the normal AVR update process (a la Geoff's approach); curious if you have any results to share?

i just see the fg99 menu entry ..this was on a 4..which doesn't work with the menu properly.. I'll test again and get details

been too busy to do the latter but will get to that soon

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

ok I updated Dan's two fg99's

one works great on a 2.2 the other nothing on the boot menu.. software was identical..  on the one that didn't work right on the 2.2 box I had to slow down the clock to 300khz to program reliably at the fast rate I got errors programming and erasing

both work fine on qi and normal ti's with 1981 roms

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1