IGNORED

Prototypes for Kasumi Ninja and I-War UPDATE 5/21 NOW WITH WORKING IWAR PROTO

swlovinist

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Can you provide any insight to the code that was supposed to disable texture mapping?  Do you know if it ever got implemented, or why the code never worked?

If the revision of code i downloaded from somewhere is final version, i don't think it looks promising.

If TEXTURES_ON is not a red herring, it appears there is code to set and save (based on filenames of options.s and eeprom.s) and the referencing macros presumably only apply to demo mode only.

image.thumb.png.7dadd5e9c7dd40344fdd081782a3cbaa.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jguff said:

If the revision of code i downloaded from somewhere is final version, i don't think it looks promising.

If TEXTURES_ON is not a red herring, it appears there is code to set and save (based on filenames of options.s and eeprom.s) and the referencing macros presumably only apply to demo mode only.

image.thumb.png.7dadd5e9c7dd40344fdd081782a3cbaa.png

Maybe TEXTURES_ON is a red herring.  Appears to be a texturesoff which is read by some logic.

image.png

Edited by jguff
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jguff said:

Attempt to read and apply texturesoff

image.thumb.png.cef04a6564c51b4f6f1cad9a950b7db9.png

If you can change this value in the ROM, maybe could disable textures for a ROM instance:

image.thumb.png.1b412865406885784a65c69b22fd9752.png

Might also be if person successfully changes value in ROM, code goes down an untested path of execution and crash.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jguff said:

If you can change this value in the ROM, maybe could disable textures for a ROM instance:

image.thumb.png.1b412865406885784a65c69b22fd9752.png

Might also be if person successfully changes value in ROM, code goes down an untested path of execution and crash.

Does encryption get in the way of hacking a Jaguar ROM?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jguff said:

Does encryption get in the way of hacking a Jaguar ROM?

No, because it isn't actually encryption of the ROM content. Only the checksum stuff in the header is actually encrypted. If you hack on a ROM though, you do need to regenerate the encryption header or swap in the universal header to get it to load on things like the Game Drive menu, or if you burn it back to an actual set of ROM chips and put them in a cartridge. However, that is trivial. Just use the latest version of pc_jagcrypt or your favorite method of adding a universal header.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

Can you provide any insight to the code that was supposed to disable texture mapping?  Do you know if it ever got implemented, or why the code never worked?

In earlier versions the game was just gourard shaded - which the jag is built to do. Atari would have asked for texture mapping which Karl would have implemented but of course doing more stuff slows things down. So until we HAD to have texture mapping we had it on the switch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything on the cart is compressed so we can fit a lot more into a smaller rom ( smaller equals cheaper to make ) . To change anything on the rom you would have to split the rom into files , decompress the files you want to change , alter them , compress them and finally rebuild a rom image.

If you had a rom cart on say a skunkboard so you could load the game into ram and run it then it would be lot simplier as you have to build the game - which chances are you wont be able to as i would image some files might be missing .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seedy1812 said:

In earlier versions the game was just gourard shaded - which the jag is built to do. Atari would have asked for texture mapping which Karl would have implemented but of course doing more stuff slows things down. So until we HAD to have texture mapping we had it on the switch.

Does the texture mapping switched off actually improve frame rate?

Form my understanding, Iron Soldier runs just fine with sparse/liberate texture mapping on objects without any loss in speed.

Iam asking because I saw some other examples were texture mapping did not affect speed much, btw. the F1 Racer demo did not run much better than the WTR release, and Checkered Flag runs far worse without having any texture mapping. 

Edited by agradeneu

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Does the texture mapping switched off actually improve frame rate?

Form my understanding, Iron Soldier runs just fine with sparse/liberate texture mapping on objects without any loss in speed.

Iam asking because I saw some other examples were texture mapping did not affect speed much, btw. the F1 Racer demo did not run much better than the WTR release, and Checkered Flag runs far worse without having any texture mapping. 

I cannot answer that as I worked on the game about 28 years ago , I have drank beer since then ,killed quite a few brain cells and as I said Karl was the guy doing the 3D work. Mileages vary into what textured polys you are drawing and their size and orientation. Drawing horizontal triangles is a lot cheaper than vertical ones as you need calculate the details each scan line.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, I verified I-War works on real hardware as well w/Skunkboard. This is a very stable, playable build. It's been a while since I played the final one, but it seems essentially the same from what I can tell.

I played the Kasumi Ninja build as well. That's a different story, but again, can further confirm it works on HW with a Skunkboard.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2024 at 12:44 PM, Ian McCranor said:

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself, I am the guy who played the role of Angus MacGregor in the game Kasumi Ninja:) 

You can add me on Facebook, if you like, would love to chat with fans.

Ian McCranor 

https://www.facebook.com/fightingwithmyself.co.uk

CxUqBZ_UcAAenYj.jpg

2666122-angus2.jpg

Holy Moly! Welcome to AtariAge mister McCranor :D It's really freaking awesome having one of the Kasumi Ninja character actors aboard on the forum :)

On 1/26/2024 at 6:44 PM, Ian McCranor said:

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself, I am the guy who played the role of Angus MacGregor in the game Kasumi Ninja:) 

Ian McCranor 

CxUqBZ_UcAAenYj.jpg

2666122-angus2.jpg

Welcome! Any luck in nightlife with this?

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2024 at 4:44 PM, Ian McCranor said:

Ian McCranor 

CxUqBZ_UcAAenYj.jpg

2666122-angus2.jpg

Welcome Ian. 

An absolute pleasure to have you here.