IGNORED

Atari VCS used for MIDI

vcsred.thumb.jpg.9b0da9d1d7ef347d96a9010bf2217e5f.jpg

Curious if anyone here is using their VCS as a DAW or for any other MIDI-related applications and would love to learn more about your setup, if so.

Has anyone successfully emulated an Atari ST for use with Cubase and/or Notator or otherwise?

Kind of wondering how it would do with a Focusrite Scarlett interface... and technically, it'll run Ableton Live Lite with no issues.

I have Reason in P.C mode (Windows) and it works very well.

I would love to emulate the ST (and Falcon) music apps, but I'm not sure how to do so.

Having them available in the VCS store would be great, and make them much more accessible.

The VCS can run Daw's very well, and using the right equipment, makes an excellent studio rig.

Midi should pose no problems either.

Edited by Gunther

That's one of those things I keep meaning to try.  I have been looking at USB MIDI keyboards, but I don't see any problems using the VCS, it's a fairly decent PC for most tasks.

Regarding ST emulation, I run Hatari (I use Linux as my main OS) and it runs great, it also appears to have MIDI support.  There may be some issue for Windows users though, do a web search for "Hatari MIDI Windows".

On 5/30/2022 at 9:56 AM, Clint Thompson said:

Curious if anyone here is using their VCS as a DAW or for any other MIDI-related applications and would love to learn more about your setup, if so.

Has anyone successfully emulated an Atari ST for use with Cubase and/or Notator or otherwise?

I have used hatari with a MIDI setup and played MIDI-enabled games, and apps like music studio, that worked fine.   Not sure about the more professional packages, but I'd expect it to perform as well as any other PC for MIDI.

• Like 1

Well I’m bound to find out first hand either way I guess. Went ahead and ordered some extra bits to give it a go.

Right now I think my main goal or use will be to digitally record the audio in using a Focusrite Scarlett.  

Cool to hear @Gunther! I haven’t used Reason in about 20 years!

Edited by Clint Thompson

3 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I actually responded over the weekend, but must have failed to hit send. I have a Focusrite in the office and can formally check it out within a few weeks but I would expect it to run just find in PC Mode as it uses pretty standard drivers. 

Right on! I haven’t picked up a Focusrite yet but as you mentioned, it shouldn’t be a problem. Are you using Ableton in general or?

Just now, Clint Thompson said:

Right on! I haven’t picked up a Focusrite yet but as you mentioned, it shouldn’t be a problem. Are you using Ableton in general or?

I am not. I myself tend to just record voice audio so use Audacity unless I am at work, in which case I use Adobe Audition as part of the work suite we have. I can say that Audacity works no problem, but no surprise there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I am not. I myself tend to just record voice audio so use Audacity unless I am at work, in which case I use Adobe Audition as part of the work suite we have. I can say that Audacity works no problem, but no surprise there.

Good to know. 

Well, if I were to go the Audacity route, I could just use my Roland TR8 as it has a few analog inputs and can record over its USB interface. I gather for most of the stuff I do just for fun anyways, it would be sufficient. 

2 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Well I’m bound to find out first hand either way I guess. Went ahead and ordered some extra bits to give it a go.

Just be aware that some USB -> MIDI cables suck, and can't get the timing right no matter what system you plug them into.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zzip said:

Just be aware that some USB -> MIDI cables suck, and can't get the timing right no matter what system you plug them into.   

I’ve learned this the hard way heh and stand by that those cheap generic usb cables are garbage. 

I did spot an actual enclosed hardware midi usb box for roughly $44 so that may be worth checking out 

1 hour ago, Clint Thompson said:

Well, I'm willing to give it a try.

Here's to my new digital audio workstation.... ?

daw.thumb.jpg.7fd4dab629368fd786c8f5c1046a9505.jpg

Will be upgrading the RAM, installing internal 500GB SSD and Win10 this weekend...

You bought that TaCo BoX????

I don't know why you bought that thing, YoU cAn BuY a ReTrO Raspberry Blueeeberry strawberry pi for less and put a taco in a toaster and buy a mini pc and play all the old games on the newest flashback gold.

Here's my favorite one I read online:

Why not just take a dead VCS shell and shove a good PC motherboard in it? Thats the same thing RIGHT? RiGhT? I'm sure it is because that sounds S.M.A.R.T. ?

I mean at the end of the day ItS jUsT aNoThEr OUYAAAAAA

Welcome to the club and good luck with your music

• Haha 2

It would be interesting to see ST and Falcon music apps available from the VCS Store.

There are still many using the ST for sequencing, and it would be a great way to preserve people's ST's.

The VCS would also be a lot easier to carry then a real ST.

ATARI could even produce their own D.A.W, and audio plug-ins that work with the ST and Falcon apps.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:33 PM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

You bought that TaCo BoX????

You had me at Tacos.

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

It would be interesting to see ST and Falcon music apps available from the VCS Store.

There are still many using the ST for sequencing, and it would be a great way to preserve people's ST's.

The VCS would also be a lot easier to carry then a real ST.

ATARI could even produce their own D.A.W, and audio plug-ins that work with the ST and Falcon apps.

7 hours ago, Gunther said:

My U.S.B audio interface works fine with the VCS. 

It's more than up to the task.

I have a Roland UM-One that works great with Linux -> Whatever (I've tried it with my old Keyboard, Roland SC-88 Pro and Roland MT-32).  The previous USB to MIDI device I'd tried just sucked.  It literally would cause the USB bus to hang when I'd try to boot my computer with it plugged in...

I also have a USB-C to MIDI cable now that seems to work fine for my macbook, which I recently was going to attempt to get working on the Steam Deck...

I'll have to give one of these a shot with the VCS, been a while since I powered it on...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, leech said:

I also have a USB-C to MIDI cable now that seems to work fine for my macbook, which I recently was going to attempt to get working on the Steam Deck...

I'll have to give one of these a shot with the VCS, been a while since I powered it on...

Please do report your findings on this when you try it out. If it works out well, I’d be interested in knowing the exact model you’re using.

13 minutes ago, leech said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00967UN50/

This one for sure works with Linux. 

I found lots that work with Linux, but the real question is can it play Midi music properly, or do all the instruments go out of sync after a bit?   Every USB to MIDI cable I tried had that problem, so I don't feel confident buying another unless I know it doesn't have this issue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zzip said:

I found lots that work with Linux, but the real question is can it play Midi music properly, or do all the instruments go out of sync after a bit?   Every USB to MIDI cable I tried had that problem, so I don't feel confident buying another unless I know it doesn't have this issue.

Valid point. The problem I had with mine was latency for sure in the cheap $20 usb midi cables. I just went back to a real Atari system and it’s perfect. 

I see there’s a hardware box variant that seems to be slightly more than just a cheap capable for about the same price as this Roland cable but can’t know for sure how it performs. 

15 minutes ago, zzip said:

Do you happen to have some MIDI examples to test with?  When playing Dark Forces it never seemed to go out of sync.  But then there are parts where it fades out and starts again if I recall, but that's just the way games work.  Funny how 1985 had a perfect machine for this, and so many decades later, they struggle with what amounts to a simple serial interface :P

1 hour ago, leech said:

Do you happen to have some MIDI examples to test with?  When playing Dark Forces it never seemed to go out of sync.  But then there are parts where it fades out and starts again if I recall, but that's just the way games work.  Funny how 1985 had a perfect machine for this, and so many decades later, they struggle with what amounts to a simple serial interface :P

Yes.   This midi file,  Africa by Toto sounds amazing when played on a properly working setup.   But when played through one of the cheap USB midi cables, it sounds horrible after just a few bars.    Also the same problem occurred no matter what OS I tried, so that's why I blame the cable and not a buggy Linux kernel.  Amazing how they could sell a product so obviously defective, but there you go :)

africa.mid

• Like 1