IGNORED

Mega Drive Mini 2

Steven Pendleton

Judging by what appears to be a Fantasy Zone port to the Sega Genesis, it looks like M2 is likely again at the helm and is including some newly developed ports (They did the same thing with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini with Fantasy Zone and several others). Not exactly a surprise given past collaborations, but it's certainly unofficial confirmation that this is in good hands.

As a Fantasy Zone fan, I approve. Along with this I hope that they sneak in the SMS version of the original as a hidden bonus game, with the M2 developed optional FM soundtrack that was produced for the 3DS port a few years back.

Edited by Atariboy

Tentatively interesting and cautious about this one.  I like what they did the first time around, it was well up there in quality that only Nintendo and NEC(Konami) pulled off all these years in solid game selection on a locked system with great output, great menu, nice build.

So far Popful Mail and Silpheed have my interest, that's it, but of 50+ games we know like what...10?  Sega is going to do another drip feed over the months to keep people dramatically waiting too long I guess (lame.)  I was shocked to see the one JP MD game cart I do own in that little list, Magical Taruruto-kun, an excellent colorful beautifully done platforming game made by the pokemon people...Gamefreak (they also did Pulseman on Sega too.)  I can safely recommend that cart from the few we know.  I like that the CD unit is a fluff piece for show, for those who want it, but seemingly is there just as fluff so it's not forced.  Kind of messed up this time charging for the added controller, a backwards stunt opposite of how Nintendo did it NES (1) SNES (2) on their minis.

I want to see how this plays out because the library of the first one is quite amazing but sure, with a library that fat it's missing some obvious entries this may button up.  I have few plugs and hdmi spots left, and one is empty for the Pocket(dock) when that shows probably around the time this comes out anyway.  Hey maybe it'll use the same wires??  I wouldn't mind swapping if the CD side of things really makes me want this bad enough, as it would have to, given I have a Mega Sg+Nomad already so it'll come down to the ISOs of CDs they stuff in there I think in the end.

Oh man, they really went all in with all the decorative add-ons related to the CD and 32X, including the additional pieces for mixing and matching Mega Drive 1 & 2 and Mega CD 1 & 2! I was just smiling at the sheer craziness of a) the original designs and b) the dedication to creating very finely detailed miniature replicas.

So far Silpheed and Thunder Force IV are the highlights to me. I'm hoping they'll include some more great third party titles, after seeing how many they did for Astro City Mini V.

However, I don't have the kind of nostalgic attachment to the Mega Drive 2 design that I do for the OG design, so I'm not sure if I'll get this one.

The Thunder Force IV box art they have isn't the Thunder Force IV box art

img-thunder-force-IV.thumb.jpg.4b119cad68cef5c8db2a54eca1aed322.jpg

This is actually from the Switch Sega Ages release.

7 hours ago, Atariboy said:

M2 is likely again at the helm

They are. Koshiro is back doing the menu music again, as well. 6 minute medley of various game music. It was a lot shorter than that last time.

5 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

I doubt most FMV titles will make it out on this.  I’d love a legit way to play “Sewer Shark” (a guilty pleasure).  

Sewer Shark wasn't released in Japan, so probably not going to happen. Japan didn't get very many FMV games at all. The only 2 that I am aware of that got released in Japan are Rebel Assault and Road Blaster. I'm sure there are more, but most of the ones that are famous outside of Japan never got released in Japan as far as I know.

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I want to see how this plays out because the library of the first one is quite amazing but sure, with a library that fat it's missing some obvious entries this may button up.

You mean Sonic 3 & Knuckles, of course

...right?

They seem to have resolved whatever issues they had with that game, so maybe they'll put it on here. We didn't get Sonic 1 last time, though, so maybe they'll limit it to only Sonic CD. I'd be satisfied with just CD, though, as that's my #2 favourite old Sonic game. Maybe they'll do something crazy and put Sonic 3D Blast on here even though it never got a Japanese MD release.

• Like 1

I believe it was confirmed shortly after Sonic Origins was announced last year that Sonic 3 & Knuckles would feature at least some replacement music. So whatever the issues are there with the soundtrack apparently haven't been resolved.

Plus, Sega seems to want Sonic 3 & Knuckles as the headliner for Origins. Putting it here as well just dilutes that, I suspect. So if this comes west, I bet buyers that love Sonic will just have to content themselves with the first official emulated appearance of the Sega CD version of Sonic CD (Unlike Japan that likely will see Sonic 1 appear here, we already got that with the first Mini alongside Sonic 2).

Edited by Atariboy

The problem with the replacement music is that Sonic Origins isn't emulation based. It consist of ports of the mobile versions of Sonic 1, 2, and CD (The last of which also saw a 360/PS3 release). Alongside these is a comparable port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles that was newly commissioned for Origins.

These were built from the ground up for modern HD capable hardware and don't include any Genesis code. So the soundtrack they've created for S3&K in Origins isn't going to be plug and play on the emulation based Mini 2. While M2 certainly has the skills to recreate it to run on the Genesis sound chip (or could cheat and just playback an audio file), it's still a hurdle that works against it. But like I said, I really doubt Sega even wants it included since it's a big selling point for Origins after not having been rereleased in recent years. 

The version on Gems was a port of the PC source code (Same with Sonic R). 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Hmm, seems like those five CD games are the only ones there are going to be?

Still cool, though.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, Atariboy said:

Judging by what appears to be a Fantasy Zone port to the Sega Genesis...

Ran the text through a translator:

"Collect coins obtained by defeating enemies and power up in the shop! The first familiar shooter game is finally coming to the Mega Drive. In order to save the galaxy's currency crisis, the protagonist Opaopa adventures on eight planets. We've also added a beginner's mode."

On 6/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, Tanooki said:

Kind of messed up this time charging for the added controller, a backwards stunt opposite of how Nintendo did it NES (1) SNES (2) on their minis.

Maybe they assumed most people would already have the first Mini, and wouldn't need tons more controllers?

Edited by Asaki

3 hours ago, Asaki said:

Still cool, though.

No, this has at least a minimum of 50 games included and M2 via social media has apparently confirmed that 20 of them will be Sega CD/Mega CD releases.

I say a minimum of 50 games since the western press is reporting 50 games, but if you let Google translate Sega's own page for the Mini 2, it reads as if it includes 50 Genesis/CD games plus bonus games on top of those 50 games (Like this new Fantasy Zone port that presumably is viewed as a special extra along the lines of Darius and Tetris from last time that made for 42 games on the Mini 1, even though the boxart for the original says that it "includes 40 classic games".).

Auto translation is full of errors though so Google might be misleading me a bit (although the situation it suggests mirrors the first Mini to a tee), but regardless if it's 50 games or something like 53 games, we can expect a substantial lineup if it makes it out to the west.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/4/2022 at 7:20 AM, Atariboy said:

I believe it was confirmed shortly after Sonic Origins was announced last year that Sonic 3 & Knuckles would feature at least some replacement music. So whatever the issues are there with the soundtrack apparently haven't been resolved.

I have only read that replacement music was speculated rather than confirmed. If they just had to change the music then why not do it ten years prior? Whilst we can be sure there is an issue with the music I don't think it is the issue that most people think it is. We know from at least one composer that "Sega owe a lot of people a lot of money" but I also think it has to do with who has been credited for what. Note that Origins is S3&K not the stand alones and this format alone conveniently removes and replaces several tracks, will the others remain? Will see..

I don't know, I just remember some Sonic Origins news a while back that acted like it was all confirmed that some music replacement would be happening. Like you said, we'll have to wait and see.

I personally don't care if it gets replaced. If they used something like the prototype music that apparently then got replaced with the familiar music by the time it originally released, it would be a pleasing alternate way to enjoy the game in my eyes. I can see how someone that doesn't have an official way to enjoy the intact original would be disappointed to discover that it's been altered, but like most folks around here, that doesn't apply to me. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Asaki said:

Still cool, though.

Maybe they assumed most people would already have the first Mini, and wouldn't need tons more controllers?

I don't know about that.  50+ game system and they've released like 20% of the list so far of which half is roughly CD based.  There surely will be more.  They did this years back with the first MD/GEN mini, drip fed the games on it for weeks to drag out the fanboy n' girl frenzy over it.  I expect the same.

And it's possible, or maybe this one is a bit more advanced inside, parts had to get sourced elsewhere to others not being made, who knows... prices could just have gone up with what's in there.  Whatever the case, at least they're sold on the side.  I'll keep an eye on it anyway, the CDs will sell me on this or not, and if they do power the same I'll just pull the unit, leave the rest boxed and just pop the cables between the two. ;)

11 hours ago, Atariboy said:

...M2 via social media has apparently confirmed that 20 of them will be Sega CD/Mega CD releases.

Oh, okay. Just the way they have the menu and everything laid out makes it look like just five, but I know it's all just a mockup right now.

9 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I personally don't care if it gets replaced. If they used something like the prototype music that apparently then got replaced with the familiar music by the time it originally released, it would be a pleasing alternate way to enjoy the game in my eyes.

I actually like most of the proto music better than the MJ tracks... ¬_¬

• Sad 1

Ahhh I missed that comment, and don't do twitter, 20/50 are CD games, that depending on the titles, sells me on this system whether it's domesticated or I'd have to annoyingly import it, which would create a language barrier unfortunately for some like Popful Mail.

40 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Strange comment.

You regret not getting the original, the second has 1000s of US dollars worth of prime CD and cartridge games, but since the piece of plastic (you could hide if it's that big of an issue) isn't cool looking it's a pass?

The "piece of plastic" ends up being the most valuable aspect of it. I could just emulate the games on retroarch. With shaders and all the options is a superior experience. Or I could just have a Rpi instead for bigger flexibility. Having a nice, branded, piece of plastic is the biggest draw.

These games are worth 1000s of dollars for collectors only. I don't collect at all.

• Like 2

Agree to disagree on that.  Retroarch...shite, it's just emulated piracy not supporting the original game makers which I think at least to some should mean something.  I'd rather have an authentic release that a fat steaming dump of roms that have no value in the slightest.  No value, no cares, no interest, no long term use... slide show gaming with no value until boredom sets in.

• Like 2