IGNORED

Mega Drive Mini 2

Steven Pendleton

4 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

A great list, just disappointed in the lack of Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside, really.  Mickey Mania CD, EWJ SE, Keio Flying Squadron, obviously Snatcher...all would've been terrific gets.  But we did get Shining Force (my favorite Sega CD), Silpheed, and Final Fight.  Big big wins.

Agreed. EC: CD is top-tier Sega CD goodness. :sad:

• Like 2

I think the first Mini had the original Eternal Champions for the Genesis, which was a surprise given that they typically avoided it in past classic compilations to keep the age rating down.

Given that and suspicions that they'd have trouble securing 20 good Sega CD titles to include for the western release, I figured the Sega CD follow-up was a shoo-in. There's no obvious hints at a rights issue in the fine print on things like the manual, with it appearing to be an in-house Sega production through and through. One of those things where you wish that M2 or Sega would do an interview and give some insight on how they selected games and explain why some of the seemingly obvious ones got passed over (They did a good job here I believe, but we're always going to be curious about why game A made the cut and why game B didn't).

I don't think anyone misses it like they do Eternal Champions CD, but I'm surprised that After Burner III isn't here (Given that they already did the work to secure a F-14 Tomcat license for this product from Northrop Grumman to clear the Genesis port of After Burner II).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Yeah After Burner III is.. ugh. Not great. I even tried revisiting it a few weeks back myself and, nope.. couldn’t do it. However, if it costs them nothing, then why not include it anyway?

I do wonder if space is an issue as a means to keep costs manageable, hence the limited amount of CD titles (those ISOs get pretty large).

If they are trying to keep the ESRB rating down, then I could see that being a reason for Eternal Champions CD not being included. Some of those fatalities are still ridiculously gory, haha.

Spoiler

• Like 3

I doubt few if any of the folks in here that have been talking about the game list are concerned about the ability to play a particular game.

For instance myself and at least one other individual in here that have been talking about the games that are included on this both own jailbroken Mega Sg's. And while I don't own a MiSTer, he does and has loaded up Sega CD games on it (And I doubt we're the only ones in the thread that this applies to). And obviously most of the people partaking in discussion in this corner of AtariAge also own at least one original Sega Genesis system, a variety of original cartridges (and quite possibly a Sega CD and some discs), and probably an Everdrive or equivalent.

Rather, the conversation is being driven by our curiosity over what made it and what didn't and our own personal opinions on what games we feel deserved to be highlighted by being included on this device. It's fun for many of us to see favorite classics return to the public eye, watch and see what ends up being included in the latest plug and play or classic compilation, checking out the finished product, etc.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

Personally I'm mostly fine with it.  The only raw cut I think was the fact there were 3 obvious solid games on CD that the Japanese got we got iced out of, and really they do have english releases too -- Lunar, Snatcher, and Popful Mail.  I personally don't care about Snatcher, too much like blade runner which I never enjoyed, but the other two... what the f??  Lunar of all things, you can buy it for $6 today on ios/android, it's the SegaCD version too adapted for touch control but left unmolested otherwise... why??

And then to put that crap pair of Ecco games and sucky shark and night crap in there?  Why?  The cartridge games, top notch as are the extras, and really Centy alone, a $700+ game -- wow.  Nice.

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

I doubt few if any of the folks in here that have been talking about the game list are concerned about the ability to play a particular game.

For instance myself and at least one other individual in here that have been talking about the games that are included on this both own jailbroken Mega Sg's. [...]

Rather, the conversation is being driven by our curiosity over what made it and what didn't and our own personal opinions on what games we feel deserved to be highlighted by being included on this device. It's fun for many of us to see favorite classics return to the public eye, watch and see what ends up being included in the latest plug and play or classic compilation, checking out the finished product, etc.

Yeah, most people on these boards are capable of playing these games in a variety of ways. The discussion is really about why Sega/M2 decided to include what they did. It's like the Playstation Classic, people just what to know why they chose what they did. The vast majority of normies arent going to have these things, so for those people the game choices are interesting.

5 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I went ahead and pre-ordered it. I have gotten a good amount of play out of the first Genesis Mini, and I like the fact that this one has some cool "deep cuts" that haven't usually been featured in collections.

I agree, and applaud your bold bravery!  I am on the fence - one because I am budgeting hardcore for a big home purchase, and two because I would basically be getting this in order to play Shining Force CD, one of my faves of all time.  I have the game actually and a Sega CD model 2 that works (!), but its memory doesn't hold.  Plus I'd rather play it in HD I think.  OTOH, I could kick in some more $ for a TerraOnion, which is completely out of stock but supposedly more coming in December.  I will probably do what you did though, just to make sure I get my hands on one of these esp if they're as limited as reports say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, masteries said:

Its very interesting that this modern release version includes a functional cartridge port.

I suppose original, and aged, cartridges can be used in this console version.

What are you talking about? Are you referring to the Mega Drive Mini 2 still? It is literally less than half the size of the original so you won't fit original carts in it old or new. 

On 8/23/2022 at 12:32 PM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

What are you talking about? Are you referring to the Mega Drive Mini 2 still? It is literally less than half the size of the original so you won't fit original carts in it old or new. 

You are true, I have confused this with another model (the Mini G2 or Mini M2 from Mindkids, that includes a functional cartridge slot).

SEGA makes the same error two times in a row, a decorative slot cartridge :(

Edited by masteries

On 8/26/2022 at 4:39 AM, masteries said:

SEGA makes the same error two times in a row, a decorative slot cartridge :(

If you want to play Genesis cartridges, an original Genesis still costs like $20 bucks. A Retrotink will cost $100. The cable is like $50.  But now you can play anything you want.

Or get an Analogue Mega SG when they’re back in stock. These systems are made for people who got rid of all their games, not for people who still have real cartridges and cds to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

If you want to play Genesis cartridges, an original Genesis still costs like $20 bucks. A Retrotink will cost $100. The cable is like $50.  But now you can play anything you want.

Or get an Analogue Mega SG when they’re back in stock. These systems are made for people who got rid of all their games, not for people who still have real cartridges and cds to play.

Well... I still have the real console and cartridges. I just also think these mini's are awesome! Having a simple plug-and-play setup is nice, and I like the new games/variations that are added. Plus the save states are definitely a good quality-of-life improvement. And let's face it, if Sega made a toaster or a stapler or something I'd probably be tempted. 😆 It's just nice to have some new Sega hardware.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I agree. Just don’t quite get the complaints about no cartridge slot. That would increase the cost and headache factor for them considerably, and they’re not up for that.

Yeah, not to mention it would ruin the whole exact-miniature-replica aspect and end up being some kind of superdeformed monstrosity.

Interestingly, Yosuke Okunari mentioned that in the future he'd be open to creating some sort of mini console that could end up being as expensive as a current-gen console. I'm not quite sure how to interpret that - probably just a hypothetical statement of pure technical ambition rather than an indication that Sega would greenlight such a product. But who knows? Theoretically if they created some kind of mini console that connected to an online store where you could buy additional games, the infrastructure required for something like that could be considerably more expensive than what is necessary for these closed systems. In any case, he did say whereas he originally considered these mini's to be one-off products, he now conceptualizes them as part of an ongoing series.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have to go to work in 13 minutes, but my initial impression is good! Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the Cyber Stick to work with Space Harrier II or Night Striker for some reason. I'll see what I can do when I am back home tonight, although it will be a while.

For now, have some more pictures. I do not have a Mega-CD 2 to compare it with, but here it is with garbage lighting, blur from my amazingly shitty photography skills, the Mega Drive 2, and the Mega Drive Mini.

Pic_1027_163.thumb.jpg.d7fd62449d7cdae537c975b472c5655c.jpg

Pic_1027_164.thumb.jpg.7ef35134f3f2c10c26f019cdc5b71b61.jpg

Pic_1027_165.thumb.jpg.f37b07f9ddb107f6faf8af870ef3155e.jpg

I had to dig out my Virtua Racing cart from inside my desk and under my Mega Jet, but while I had the Mega Jet out, I noticed that it's slightly smaller than the Mega Drive Mini 2 + Mega Drive Tower Mini 2, which I thought was somewhat mildly interesting.

• Like 1