IGNORED

40th Anniversary of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Atariboy2600

Today is the 40th anniversary of E.T. and wondering about the 2600 game as I was 10 when I saw it in 82 and also got the game and to this day I still have the box game and I dont hate it as other do here's some of my ET stuff. In 1982 I was at the age of 10 and saw E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in theater and I was the same age as Elliott and have the same reactions and feeling as a kid.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

• Like 4

That fan art is awesome!!

I like E.T. (the 2600 game) too and also had it as a kid.

It's been almost 40 years since I've seen the movie though, I saw it in the theater when it came out and that was the last time. I found the book at a Thrift shop for $1 so I read it for fun, there was quite a bit of the story I had completely forgotten. I plan on watching the movie again sometime soon...

• Like 2

ET was among the first batch of games we got with our 2600 in 82.

I loved it as a kid and didn't even know it was such a hated game until much later.

I was able to figure out the gameplay mechanics and found escaping the wells easy.  Plus it was one of my first true video games, so the thrill and novelty of being able to fire it up and play a game on our TV was remarkably awesome.

• Like 3

I've immensely enjoyed the console's multi-screen adventure games since Adventure and Superman first captivated me as a ten-year-old in 1982, so briefly thereafter, I considered Warshaw's later games, including E.T., to be follow-ups along the same lines.

I've always enjoyed the game. You get to walk around and look for hidden stuff, so I'm already there. My favorite selection is Game 3, since you're not constantly hounded by the humans and you can enjoy the search. Maybe one reason the game fell out of favor is that most people don't read manuals, and only play the default game (1). That's the hardest. The title simply doesn't warrant its bad rap. The Swordquest games were far worse.

Also, I believe E.T. contains the most Easter eggs out of any VCS game (there are four).

https://orphanedgames.com/articles/The SSC/et.htm

Edited by Chris+++
  • Thanks 1

I had no negative opinion of E.T. (the game) as a kid.

I thought it was light-years ahead of other games simply because it had an opening screen with an actual picture of E.T.

et1.png.3ea7b94a57a20cfbfce27636f70802f9.png

The game had a spaceship that landed, and that was cool. Once you realized where the pits were on the edge of the screens, you knew better than to fall into them. It was always a race against time to get it all done before your energy was depleted, but the game was decent. It's not HSW's fault that Atari produced too many of the cartridge. FOUR MILLION???? Are you CRAZY????

How many copies of ADVENTURE (released in 1980) sold? Anyone? ONE MILLION.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, keithbk said:

I had no negative opinion of E.T. (the game) as a kid.

I thought it was light-years ahead of other games simply because it had an opening screen with an actual picture of E.T.

et1.png.3ea7b94a57a20cfbfce27636f70802f9.png

This screen was amazing at the time,  I had never seen a 2600 screen with so much detail like on E.T's face prior to this.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1