IGNORED

Arcade-style racing games

5 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Oh!!! I took home a free giant 3d tv to play the 3d motor storm game for PS3.  I had to buy the glasses on eBay and stuff. After setting it all up what a giant disappointment. I mean I guess I knew it would be but it really was lame. The 3d effect not the game.   

That's a bummer, I was about to try it out. I just got Motorstorm Apocalypse in the mail, and am playing it on a 3d projector--so it'd just be a matter of digging out the glasses.  One thing that is a neat thought, is two-player full screen with the shutter glasses.

I like Apocalypse more than I thought I would. Usually I don't like the 'post-apocalyptic sequel' syndrome. I still like Riptide GP2 over Riptide Renegade, for example. But MS Apocalypse comes off with a lot of Split/Second DNA, and that's one of my faves--especially since I posted it on the second post of this thread 😎

As far as uses for your 3dtv, I recall the original PC version of Deus Ex Human Revolution plays on it. (not sure if the director's cut does) I probably wouldn't have known if it didn't pop up into that mode by default. Here's an SBS-3d vid of it in action. It's the only game I can recall playing in 3d.

Edited by Reaperman

Just bought split second on sale on Xbox ! Have it for the PS3 but like having it on my Xbox more.  I hooked up my Wii last night and played some Cruisn Wii and despite the shitty control options is a great game. Really like the track design. I was playing on a giant CRT this time so maybe that's why.  

If u like split second , try out Dangerous Driving.. fun arcade racer !

• Like 1

Night Driver - possibly the first third-person perspective racing game? I mostly played it on the Atari 2600 as a kid. Decades later, at the NW Pinball Expo I got to play the original sit-down arcade version, in a beautiful sparkling purple cabinet. Obviously the graphics are very rudimentary but the steering is so silky smooth and responsive, and the engine sound is nice a bassy. A very cool game.

Turbo - A really ambitious game for 1981, you're driving through several different landscapes - green countryside, cities with towering buildings, along the edges of cliffs, through different times of day, clear weather and snowy weather. The analog scaling effect is a little weird, as shapes get distorted near the edges of the screen, but I see it as just a signature effect of the game as well as the pioneering spirit of the era.

Enduro - A really fun racing game for the 2600, following a similar set of rules as Turbo. I think it still holds up well today as one of the best on the system.

Enduro Racer - Sega's arcade game builds on the motorcycle experience they started with Hang On, but adds in hills and the ability to jump by pulling back on the handlebars. It was probably a headache for arcade operators to maintain!

Outrunners - Perhaps the apex of the pseudo-3D sprite scaling racers, the branching courses take you through beautiful locations all over the world (even under the sea), with a selection of cars with different handling characteristics, a comical cast of drivers, and other travelers along the roads.

Re-Volt - I love this tough but fair remote control car racing game - I played it a lot on the Dreamcast. It has some kart-like weapon pickups but they're not always necessary to win. I heard years later that an Xbox version was developed for Xbox Live beta testing, but it was never released - that's too bad, I would have loved playing it online with my friends.

Outrun 2/Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast - "The beautiful journey" as it's nicknamed, for some reason this is the one game I've ever been close to the top of global rankings. Also one of the only games where I met really cool random people in online races. It's just a perfect evolution from the original, with gorgeous dreamlike courses. It adds in a very precise handling/drifting model and displays an artistic rating of your driving skill after each stage by showing you something flying by in the sky - a flock of geese, hawks, flamingos, hot air balloons, the dragon from Panzer Dragoon, etc.

24 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Re-Volt - I love this tough but fair remote control car racing game - I played it a lot on the Dreamcast. It has some kart-like weapon pickups but they're not always necessary to win. I heard years later that an Xbox version was developed for Xbox Live beta testing, but it was never released - that's too bad, I would have loved playing it online with my friends.

There was RC Revenge Pro for the PS2 which was a sequel of sorts I think. Fun games but the handling was a bit annoying sometimes with how easy the cars would spin out.

I'm on the Xbox store just now and out of no where ser atari has an anniversary collection coming out and I was big whoop and then saw it spanner multiple systems including jaguar and lynx. Doesn't list the games but one of the scree shots was for Atari Karts. I always wanted that game when I had the Jaguar but heard it sucked badly and I didn't want to pay 50 for it at the time.  But it appears to be on this so day one purchase for me.

IMG_20221031_225759113.jpg

Edited by NeonSpaceBeagle

12 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I don't know how you guys browse AtariAge but there are already several topics about that compilation and a least two other just about the Jaguar games on it.

I know how I browse Atariage is 'avoiding the heck out of the Jaguar section.' The place is just mean, and life's too short for that kind of drama. 😜

Though this Jaguar talk has reminded me of Super Burnout--which was my favorite racer on the system BITD, and probably a top5 for sprite-racers in general. I should probably revisit it to see how it held up.

Actually there are so many forums on AtariAge now that I miss a lot. If it's not in the root forum of classic or modern gaming, I usually hear about it on youtube first, and then follow the link back here.

Edited by Reaperman

I love plenty of racing games,far too many to name...

Lately been really into Super Hang-On and Slipstream. Super Hang-On especially. I also love Rock N Roll Racing and the Road Rage series.

Also love some of the overhead type racing games like Super Sprint and RC Pro-Am!

• 1 month later...

I'm on a big ridge racer kick right now right now. Have been for a couple months on-and-off. I'm playing PS1 Ridge Racer Revolution, the Turbo Mode Bonus Disc (R4's 60fps port of the first game), and RR64. 

That Negcon feels like it's wired right into my brain--finally got one that doesn't need a deadzone. Then today I try RR64 for the first time in maybe half a decade, and I'm really surprised how much better it looks than the ps1.  Far more detailed cars and scenery--but weird seeing the revolution track set in the mountains vs the beach, though.

TLCbfBkm.jpg hhC7ozDm.jpg

(embiggen)(embiggen2)

Full confession time, I've never even seen a Ridge Racer or any other flavor Namco driving cabinet in person, despite regularly visiting arcades. People always talk like they were all over the place, but it was Sega and Atari/Midway drivers everywhere I went. But I did something pretty silly, and went in for the black friday pricing on a Ridge Racer Arcade1up. It hasn't shipped yet, 🙄 and at this point the suspense is really getting to me. Any time now best buy...

bsaDXH5m.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, Tanooki said:

I know it's out of consideration maybe due to how basic (early polygonal dos game) it is, but Broderbund had STUNTS.  That thing basically out tricked Hard Racin and Hard Drivin, fantastic game and had its own course maker that was pretty robust (like the fzero one on 64dd good.)

Yes. Loved playing STUNTS back then. It was rather efficient how it used the PC hardware. My 486 DX2/50 was more than sufficient to give smooth gameplay. And there was no 3D hardware out yet. Just had a 1MB ISA card with mainstream budget chip on it. So more kudos for making it work so well on low-end hardware.

Now on Hard Drivin' - I'm not so sure I liked it or its successors. For one, the arcade operator set his machine at like $1.00 per play. That $1 would translate into a full hour of playing on other games. So I only played it a couple of times, mainly to see the advanced graphics and physics. Because of the cost I never earmarked the game for future play or one to develop a skillset for. I also may not have gotten into it much because us teens were coming of age. And even realizing the money being spent on tokens could be spent on home computer games or hardware.

But when I did play it it wasn't what I was expecting. I immediately thought thought the hardware wasn't powerful enough for the program. The game program simulated tires, transmission, engine, suspension, chassis dynamics, and mass, and how it all interacted together. That's a lot for a couple of 68K processors, especially in the amount of detail that Atari claimed. And the car and overall graphics didn't quite match up with the simulation. Close enough to certainly play the game. But not enough to really feel the expected realism.

And I thought all this physics modeling stuff was lost on the arcade-going populace. Quarter-popping punks of the time such as myself didn't care much about all that. It was just lost on us. It would take time for gamers to be acclimatized and expect that level of realism. Conversely and contradictorily we wanted the best possible physics on home simulations.

The game did leave some sort of impression on me because I was excited to add it to my MAME rig. And then it's successor, Race Drivin', which I never saw in the arcades.

Today I learned of a proto called Hard Drivin's Airborne. That'll be a nice game to experiment around with tomorrow night. Perhaps I can re-discover the first two in the series. That does happen ya'know. That's what's so cool about this hobby. Always something new to explore and discover and try out. Or just plain old re-experience.

Other racing games I liked back then were the original Night Driver, both on the 2600 and in the arcades. Slot Racers, Enduro, Night Stocker, S.T.U.N. Runner, and Road Blasters. Played those till I cried to mommy asking for moar tokens. Not all of those are exactly racing games as we know them today. But loads fun anyways!

• Like 2