IGNORED

Vic 20 Question

Got my hands in a inoperative Vic 20. Found fuse is blown. Was looking to find proper fuse for this item. Also maybe ideas on what damage could of happened due to said blown fuse. Ive done some google searching and dont know what to get for fuse. I think. 1.3A slow blow? Fas as condition. Nothing looks blown or burnt other than the fuse itself. Thank you.

Edited by Black0Panther
  • Like 1

Is it a two-prong 9VAC model or the cost-reduced model with DIN conector and 5VDC + 9VAC? The first one takes a 3.15A fuse, the cost-reduced one takes a smaller 1A fuse, same as the early C64, I believe.

You might have use of Ray Carlsen's troubleshooting sheet:

https://portcommodore.com/rcarlsen/cbm/vic20/vic20.txt

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

One major difference is that on the two-prong model, the computer won't work at all if the fuse is blown. On the cost-reduced model as well as the C64, it still will boot except that functions that use 9V AC (e.g. cassette) don't work. That is a big source of confusion that despite the LED lights up and you get the boot screen, the computer may be partly broken.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/4/2022 at 3:08 PM, carlsson said:

You might have use of Ray Carlsen's troubleshooting sheet:

https://portcommodore.com/rcarlsen/cbm/vic20/vic20.txt

Appreciate the link, though I’m not OP. A VIC-20 is in my repair queue for this fall/winter, and stumbling across a comment like this is the exact reason I read/search before posting a question someone’s likely asked previously. 

• Like 1