IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

So what do you think? Did they actually spend marketing money after all or wasn't there any marketing money to begin with? In any case, 'someone' lied. Wouldn't that be something?™️

TT talk of marketing money was BS like everything else that was said.

What made it obvious was TT saying they wouldn’t start marketing until they were selling the Amico. That makes no sense. You want product awareness and publicity before it goes on sale, not after. 

if they had money they would have been marketing. 

p

• Like 6

No one really talks about this much, but it was one of the more wild claims from Intellivision. Specifically the first two lines. Those first two lines seem grossly exaggerated, or wishful thinking. This is from the Republic investment page, if anyone cares to look. https://republic.com/intellivision-amico

Screenshot_20220816-172510_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1224b45ab532002efbb81acc1e17441.jpg

Fig only showed a little over 13k and that has since lowered to 6000. That is a stark contrast to the claim of $25 million in purchase and preorders. If they really had that much, money to manufacture would not be an issue.

This talking point or claim magically disappeared along with some other ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rayik said:

What made it obvious was TT saying they wouldn’t start marketing until they were selling the Amico. That makes no sense. You want product awareness and publicity before it goes on sale, not after. 

p

Iirc in the Patel video it was said those investor funds would be used in marketing. :P

I should rewatch it, but it is so slimy.

17 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

No one really talks about this much, but it was one of the more wild claims from Intellivision. Specifically the first two lines. Those first two lines seem grossly exaggerated, or wishful thinking. This is from the Republic investment page, if anyone cares to look. https://republic.com/intellivision-amico

Screenshot_20220816-172510_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1224b45ab532002efbb81acc1e17441.jpg

Fig only showed a little over 13k and that has since lowered to 6000. That is a stark contrast to the claim of $25 million in purchase and preorders. If they really had that much, money to manufacture would not be an issue.

Those first 2 lines are the same.  $250 x 100K

That also is not that hard to believe.  If they were in Wally World.  They have 5K + locations alone.  Then they had Game Stop and others.

That is really easy to see.  I think North America alone could have hit that number.

Also remember, those are just going on the shelf, they are not "sold".  I think 10K+ preorders was plausible also.  I have 1.  ;)

At $329?  or whatever it is now.  Not going to happen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

Those first 2 lines are the same.  $250 x 100K

That also is not that hard to believe.  If they were in Wally World.  They have 5K + locations alone.  Then they had Game Stop and others.

Also remember, those are just going on the shelf, they are not "sold".  I think 10K+ preorders was plausible also.  I have 1.  ;)

Key word is "if". That is a big potential problem. It was stated as fact on Republic where they were trying to entice investors.

Saying something you hope happens and presenting it as fact to get money from investors is a big "no no".

Even if preorders were still at 10k that is still a gross misrepresentation to investors of the reality of their situation. There has been zero evidence of them being in any place beyond Gamestop.

Edited by MrBeefy
Also it wasn't happening at $250. They couldn't get 10k out at that price...
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Even if preorders were still at 10k that is still a gross misrepresentation to investors of the reality of their situation. There has been zero evidence of them being in any place beyond Gamestop.

What about that sweet picture outside the Ellen show studio???

• Haha 10

If they really had 100,000 in retail purchase orders it should be nice and easy for them to give a breakdown of where they were going, and on what terms, don't you think?

After all, they'll be worth considerably less than $25 million if the only place that'll take them is thrift stores.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

What about that sweet picture outside the Ellen show studio???

Have you read The Secret?

6 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

If they really had 100,000 in retail purchase orders it should be nice and easy for them to give a breakdown of where they were going, and on what terms, don't you think?

After all, they'll be worth considerably less than $25 million if the only place that'll take them is thrift stores.

You would think. Unless it was another pie in the sky claim. If they really had that much it should be easy for them to get a line of credit (which they also stopped talking about/disappeared).

1 hour ago, rayik said:

p

What they said was they would start that marketing about a month or so prior to release.  The $5M they were talking about is not a large amount so they would have had to be careful when and where they spent it.

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

The 13k on the Fig site was a combination of revenue share investors and product preorders prior to the campaign transferring to Republic.  

The 6000 preorders were only those done direct with Intellivision Entertainment, and does not include customer preorders through retailers, e.g. Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, etc.

As 1980gamer explained the 100k units would be over 90% retailer purchase orders.

Edited by mr_me

33 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

I am not interested enough to do this.... But I know people post you could preorder at XYZ.  Then you would know the retailers.  At least most of them.

But I think they had a sweat spot release date.  Pre-Christmas.  When that date was missed, they may have lost a few?

2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

As 1980gamer explained the 100k units would be over 90% retailer purchase orders.

There is no evidence any of that is true and he himself had a bunch of "ifs" in there.

They were still claiming them as pre-sold which is not the same as purchase orders. Sold units net retailers money. Purchase orders don't do them jack. It is misleading and the only place who showed any evidence of units was Gamestop. Wal-mart was wishcasting. 

Saying they were sold is a potential issue for them as that was used to net investors. 

• Thanks 1

Key word is "if". That is a big potential problem. It was stated as fact on Republic where they were trying to entice investors.

Saying something you hope happens and presenting it as fact to get money from investors is a big "no no".

What's the evidence they were in Gamestop.  Several retailers were taking preorders on their websites.  The combination of the 6000 preorders direct with IE plus those preorders through retailers could have been about 10k units.  Although I don't think they presented that number to investors.

There is no evidence any of that is true and he himself had a bunch of "ifs" in there.

They were still claiming them as pre-sold which is not the same as purchase orders. Sold units net retailers money. Purchase orders don't do them jack. It is misleading and the only place who showed any evidence of units was Gamestop. Wal-mart was wishcasting. 

Saying they were sold is a potential issue for them as that was used to net investors. 

Either they had the purchase orders or they didn't, this is just explaining what the numbers mean.  And retailer purchase orders do mean something to investors.  Shipped units means more but at the stage they were in, investors do like to see retailer purchase orders.

Should have been left as pre-orders and purchase orders.  Saying they're all presold isn't correct.  It's possible they might have got some prepayment from retailers and some customers may have prepaid in full, but even those likely could be cancelled/returned through agreements and policies.

Edited by mr_me

We all know that mathematics isn't Tommy's strong suit and he's the sort of guy who can mistake a 2000 capacity concert for a stadium gig with 130,000 people inside and 600,000 outside watching on screens.

So yeah, 100,000 or 6000. What's the difference to him? 😄

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, rayik said:

p

Yeah, I questioned the whole "We will market two weeks before launch" BS many times.     Who the hell markets only two weeks before launch, especially a company who is trying to go after the mainstream casual/non gamer audience?   Makes absolutely zero sense. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Although I don't think they presented that number to investors.

Wrong. https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNnZV8iBt1lalApQLWji4DQkZ9ld2JQzb

Claimed it was, "revenue in the bank".

The Rocketship is built! https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxzIxL_0idJBZUuTLfWSDQ_8RBZXPsva57

Using investor money on marketing. Money is gone... https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxPyT-5fzvQTuh0Q1Ki8dCEvMGY7WgOKM-

Gamestop has shown also that they aren't carrying it anymore. They acted like those were guaranteed sales to investors. If those sales were not locked in (as evidenced by Gamestop pulling their product), then they lied to investors and potential investors.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Again, that's 6000 preorders from customers direct with IE, versus about 100k purchase orders from retailers.  That's the difference.

Well, that and the latter number seeming rather implausible and having no evidence to back it up, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt_B said:

Well, that and the latter number seeming rather implausible and having no evidence to back it up, of course.

Probably was implausible. I wonder if that is why they lost their line of credit? They had no evidence of those actually locked in. I know I wouldn't give them credit if they couldn't show me anything.

Tommy also stated they had 10k preorders which means they've lost around 40% of those.

They won't make them. It is not financially in their interest to make them for only 6000 people. They will not make even 30k. They know they will get stuck with 24k of them.

• Like 1

Wrong. https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNnZV8iBt1lalApQLWji4DQkZ9ld2JQzb

Claimed it was, "revenue in the bank".

The Rocketship is built! https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxzIxL_0idJBZUuTLfWSDQ_8RBZXPsva57

Using investor money on marketing. Money is gone... https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxPyT-5fzvQTuh0Q1Ki8dCEvMGY7WgOKM-

Gamestop has shown also that they aren't carrying it anymore. They acted like those were guaranteed sales to investors. If those sales were not locked in (as evidenced by Gamestop pulling their product), then they lied to investors and potential investors.

What's wrong?  I already said it's not correct to describe purchase orders as presold. 

I was talking about the 10000 preorders.  I said 6000 preorders direct with IE plus preorders made by customers through retailers like Gamestop and others could very well have been around 10000 units at one time.  But usually we only see the 6000 number of direct preorders.

Edit:

And in that video he describes the 100k with retailers as "purchase orders" unlike the mistake in the Republic web page.  He does describe the 10k customer preorders as presold.

"Revenue in the bank" was not said by the CEO.  It was text overlayed in the video by the video creator.  It's not an IE video.

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Yeah, I questioned the whole "We will market two weeks before launch" BS many times.     Who the hell markets only two weeks before launch, especially a company who is trying to go after the mainstream casual/non gamer audience?   Makes absolutely zero sense. 

Can I ask who are you comparing them to?  Why does it make zero sense.  If you're going to do mall tours for people to play the thing, wouldn't it be good to have inventory to sell them.  If you're going to advertise, influencers, etc, would you not want inventory available.

Edited by mr_me

7 hours ago, rayik said:

That's my take as well; it always annoyed me when he claimed having spent zero money on marketing. For starters, if they have marketing people on their team™️ and pay them, they are already using a marketing budget to do so.

Also I really doubt the August event (let alone the E3 slot they had to pay for) was free. They even had two teasers beforehand that must have cost at least a little money to produce. Maybe the CGI video with the spacemen were stolen from elsewhere (I mean they were placeholders™️ of course), but Tommy in the big suit required work and no one would do that for free - unless he only asked AtariAge fans to create all that stuff for free? That would be even lamer than I thought...

5 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

I haven’t even read the Bible and so far I haven’t committed any fraud :)

Really? Don't you remember when you forged an accessory to avoid paying thousands of dollars for a complete Star Wars figure? 🙄

• Haha 1