IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

10 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Lolll.  If the 'haters and trolls' single-handedly took the Amico down then the project didn't have a chance in the first place. 

Honk honk  🤡

As someone else eloquently said it to me. Ahem...

"Truth is, the only people who took Amico down were the incompetent dimwits who were trying to pull it out of their ass. You're bound for failure when you're looking for excuses before you're even out of the starting gate, which they still haven't exited by the way."

🤡🤡

Edited by MrBeefy
Oh and honk honk.
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

What was it about Tommy that had so many people fooled? His delusion about himself is one thing, but for others to buy into it, too. I just don't get it at all.

It's been analyzed to death, elsewhere but I think it boils down to one word: validation.  

TLDR: It's easy to miss yellow/red flags when a celebrity (even a minor one) validates you and makes you feel like you're part of a team that's working to resurrect an IP that you treasure. 

Tommy T. had some level of celebrity status and when a celebrity acknowledges or even compliments one of us mere mortals, many of us will get a certain thrill. 

Here's an example, taking Tommy out of the equation, strictly for hypothetical purposes.  I've visited the Discord for the new company that Corey and Lori Ann Cole run (they are former game developers from Sierra Online).  They even answered a question or two that I had about "Quest for Glory" lore. It was all pretty pleasant and normal and it was cool to interact with the people who made one of my all-time favorite games series, which I remember very fondly from adolescence.

Let's tweak that story a bit and pretend that Corey Cole started saying how impressive my writing style is and how I should be making video games, etc.  Before you know it, he's in my direct messages and acting like a personal friend and asking me for my professional opinion, regarding storylines, etc. Personally, I'd like to think that I would be asking myself questions like: "Does this guy want money, what's the angle here, etc.".  Still, a really good salesman doesn't always appear to be "selling", they just appear passionate. 

When I started posting here, I saw the Amico saga as a curiosity.  I do genuinely enjoy classic retro-style games and I thought that a few first-party Amico titles looked interesting.  I never thought that they were good enough to justify buying another console but I thought that it was conceivable that they were at least trying to make a legitimate product.

I was very much on the fence in terms of being "a hater".  I definitely thought that the odds were against the Amico finding a market but I thought that they had just as much right, as anyone, to try to find a niche.  

I remember posting about the artwork for the Astrosmash menu select screen and Tommy T. jumped in and the conversation flowed across 80s Sci-Fi references (Last Starfighter, Tron, etc.) as well as some "behind the scenes" snippets about who did the artwork, etc.  As someone who enjoys watching the director's commentary on films/shows, I always enjoy those little tidbits about people in the industry who aren't household names, etc.  Still, I remember thinking: "Is he just having a normal conversation or is this some kind of grooming?".  Of course, any company exec / celebrity who is engaging with fans has an agenda but it was intriguing to see his modus operandi unfold.  Without the Amico saga context, I wouldn't have seen any sinister ulterior motive - just a startup company guy chatting up a potential customer.  However, after reading/hearing so many accounts, from other folks, it certainly seems to fit a pattern. He didn't seem to only want customers, he appeared to desire acolytes/evangelists.  

Tying this all together.  I wasn't a huge Intellivision fan.  My family had one, when I was very young and I do have my first, very hazy, video game memories of playing Star Strike and Soccer, on the system.  I also wasn't much of a Tommy T. fan.  I saw him on the Video Game years and just knew that he made video game sound tracks. I mention this because it made it easy for me to be skeptical about Tommy T.'s "outreach".  If it had been someone from the video game world that I did highly admire like: the Coles or Sid Meier, perhaps it wouldn't have been so easy.  

With that in mind, considering the deep and genuine "love" that many folks here have for the Intellivision legacy, I have some sympathy for why they may have missed some of the flags.  I don't extend that sympathy to any of the folks who turned into "hatchet men" for Tommy but I can understand how some of the less zealous supporters were, basically, taken in by a guy who knows how to pitch a concept. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

It's been analyzed to death, elsewhere but I think it boils down to one word: validation.  

TLDR: (...)

You 100% nailed it™️! 😉

In the early days of his arrival here, that's what he would reply to (almost) everyone. I remember when he wanted to display in his office a quote that I mentioned... 🙄

To be honest I almost feel responsible for bringing Tommy here because the day before I made fun of a video interview in which he explained how the controller's touch screen could be used to replace several buttons. 🤢 (I wasn't the only one he replied to the day after though) I don't think I was starstruck the same way other members were because I was never a fan of him, on the contrary. I actually didn't like him since the day he bashed the Wii when it was released, so I even thought he had changed a little, that he got a little wiser, but not really I'm afraid. 😩 I never liked Earthworm Jim or Aladdin, was never interested in the concept of Video Games Live (I'm not keen on covers in general, they tend to disfigure the original work imho), etc. I was even bothered to learn he "worked" on Metroid Prime because I love that game and especially its sound, but I found out Tommy's work was basically dumped. ☺️

That being said, I admit I'm not brave enough to contradict 'celebrities' (at least not too vehemently), but maybe it's just because I'm quite younger than him. I tend to be respectful towards older and famous people, even when I (maybe) shouldn't. Some of the first banned members really sounded insolent (to me) sometimes, but they were around the same age as Tommy I guess. Maybe that's why I lasted longer than most before being banned, while still posting regularly.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

You 100% nailed it™️! 😉

In the early days of his arrival here, that's what he would reply to (almost) everyone. I remember when he wanted to display in his office a quote that I mentioned... 🙄

To be honest I almost feel responsible for bringing Tommy here because the day before I made fun of a video interview in which he explained how the controller's touch screen could be used to replace several buttons. 🤢 (I wasn't the only one he replied to the day after though) I don't think I was starstruck the same way other members were because I was never a fan of him, on the contrary. I actually didn't like him since the day he bashed the Wii when it was released, so I even thought he had changed a little, that he got a little wiser, but not really I'm afraid. 😩 I never liked Earthworm Jim or Aladdin, was never interested in the concept of Video Games Live (I'm not keen on covers in general, they tend to disfigure the original work imho), etc. I was even bothered to learn he "worked" on Metroid Prime because I love that game and especially its sound, but I found out Tommy's work was basically dumped. ☺️

That being said, I admit I'm not brave enough to contradict 'celebrities' (at least not too vehemently), but maybe it's just because I'm quite younger than him. I tend to be respectful towards older and famous people, even when I (maybe) shouldn't. Some of the first banned members really sounded insolent (to me) sometimes, but they were around the same age as Tommy I guess. Maybe that's why I lasted longer than most before being banned, while still posting regularly.

Whatever you hater!

Weren't you banned shortly after me? Fun times.

200.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

So is I.E. still pretending this thing will get released?  I took a little break from following this whole fiasco.  

Phil is still at the helm of the SS Sleaze.  Tommy is still hiding in shame (and apparently broke).   We'll be seeing that small/test/pilot production run any day now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rowsdower70 said:

Phil is still at the helm of the SS Sleaze.

Been 9 months since Intellivision stopped responding to investor questions on Republic. Phil's June update disabled comments and the September one has gone unanswered weeks later.

Been 3.5 months since their European store for the box sets went down due to non-payment but nobody has updated their website yet.

One investor indicated writing 12 times to the email address Phil supplied, without once receiving a response. This aligns with my own experience of elapsing a month without any comment from them after I'd requested a refund.

None of this is a good look for their operations, to say the least. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Rowsdower70 said:

Phil is still at the helm of the SS Sleaze.  Tommy is still hiding in shame (and apparently broke).   We'll be seeing that small/test/pilot production run any day now. 

20 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Most likely in two weeks

Or so

It'll be in Hours not Days,

AbsoluteZanyIberianmole-size_restricted.

Heh

6efec66156451bac62ae1d35a3c69ac0.jpg

• Haha 5

On 9/30/2022 at 9:10 PM, MattPilz said:

Been 9 months since Intellivision stopped responding to investor questions on Republic. Phil's June update disabled comments and the September one has gone unanswered weeks later.

Been 3.5 months since their European store for the box sets went down due to non-payment but nobody has updated their website yet.

One investor indicated writing 12 times to the email address Phil supplied, without once receiving a response. This aligns with my own experience of elapsing a month without any comment from them after I'd requested a refund.

None of this is a good look for their operations, to say the least. 

I think the biggest indicator is that Mr_Me hasn’t corrected anyone for a while now. If he’s jumped ship, then…

3D7E3CE0-8F84-4554-9A60-B87349273A8C.jpeg

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

The marketing continues to be great!

I clipped this great endorsement of the former CEO.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4IhiyMBS5aKNIAlp1Ir1a9seVTXXtxYl

Welcome to ReviewTechUSA where it has nothing to do with tech, we don't do reviews, but we may show you our man boobs during something about YouTube drama!

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

The marketing continues to be great!

I clipped this great endorsement of the former CEO.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4IhiyMBS5aKNIAlp1Ir1a9seVTXXtxYl

I don't think Tommy needs to be blacklisted tbh. From what people have said elsewhere it seems like Tommy had already burnt his bridges with most people in the industry previously. He hasn't done any game music for over a decade. It's probably not a coincidence that most of the people at Intellivision were people he already knew, and when anyone else new came into the picture (J Allard, Cara Acker etc), they often didn't stick around long at all.

• Like 4