IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

17 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

If you watched the videos for Missile Command and Bomb Squad, and thought they looked easy and fun to play, you’re a much better gamer than me.  I thought Skiing looked good, and I was all in on Cornhole but they butchered that game.

Totally agree on the Missile Command, never understood why people seemed to like that one (or the original game), same with Astrosmash. Of the “pack ins” my favorites would have been shark shark, skiing and cornhole (if they managed to fix the physics/gameplay in the end). Other games I thought could have been fun was the new versions of cloudy mountain, dolphin game, night stalker, frogger and utopia

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, theswede said:

Totally agree on the Missile Command, never understood why people seemed to like that one (or the original game), same with Astrosmash. Of the “pack ins” my favorites would have been shark shark, skiing and cornhole (if they managed to fix the physics/gameplay in the end). Other games I thought could have been fun was the new versions of cloudy mountain, dolphin game, night stalker, frogger and utopia

Cloudy Mountain and Night Stalker both looked good, I agree. I’m hoping they will be included in the rumored Switch ports.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, theswede said:

Oh also I thought the Breakout game looked great, I’d buy that RIGHT NOW. But full disclosure those guys’ Bit.Trip series are my fondest Wii memories.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MattPilz said:

I wonder if Intellivision ever conducted independent focus groups with non-gamers to verify if this sector of traditional gaming is beneficial to play on a screen, versus just bringing out a physical deck of cards or cup of dice.

If I'm with a group of friends/family in the same room and want to play Poker or Yahtzee, it'd be a very abnormal occurrence to decide we should all get out our phones and controllers to play what could be done around a table casually as it has for hundreds of years. I'm not sure those are strong selling points for the controllers or game selection.

I've never seen an Amico controller in real life but the screen is around 3" diagonal 320x240, from the videos I've seen there is not a lot of space for detail on it. The resolution and screen dimensions are less than the first generation iPhones from 15 years back.

I'm pretty sure they were just winging it. It's not like there hasn't been a market for bringing board and card games to computers and consoles since the 1970s; it's just a niche one that rarely produces breakthrough hits and the attraction is usually more being able to play them without needing other people around. Still, hot seat multiplayer modes have long been a thing and in games where you absolutely need the privacy of your own screen there's usually a free phone version. I just can't see anything in this vein producing a killer app. Even Clubhouse Games only works because you're getting fifty-odd in one package, immaculately presented with tutorials and background information.

The screen in the Amico controller is about the same size and resolution as the bottom screen on a 3DS, and that's fine in terms of displaying useful text and icons. It's just something that doesn't come for free and, along with the LEDs, probably means that the Amico controllers cost about twice as much to make as controllers just sporting buttons and sticks.

• Like 2

j3u6vb40emx91.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s=59a879bb60a37807bd5284993b2b10a20122baf5

Here is the Amico Controller app for phones. The left shows one Tommy demonstrated a couple years back, and the right was shown by Mike NLG yesterday. Whoever developed the app seems to have failed at properly calculating aspect and placement of the components and as such it crops off the top and bottom trigger buttons. To me it also doesn't seem as polished as the one seen in 2020 but maybe that is a skin-based option.

One thing that was frequently mentioned in 2019-2021 was that the system would include phone accessories that could be adhered to create tactical wheel and trigger buttons. Those did not appear in either unboxing of the test units, so I am wondering how that will be effectively tested in this final run of test units before production begins. Mostly though the phone app needs more attention. (It's also not advised to have interactive components in the UI so close to the edges of the screen when modern Android and iOS operating systems use screen edges for so much else. It can greatly interfere with interactions.)

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

I just watched a DJC video where he and Mike Mullis are gloating that they each have an Amico console. 

Why were they gloating? Because some folks thought that Intellivision might have built only one test console and Mike would have to forward it along to DJC.  NOPE! Suck it HATERZZZ; there are at least two! 

Oh man, this is clearly VICTORY LAP time!!! 

YARN | Yep. This is one for our side. | Seinfeld (1993) - S08E08 The  Chicken Roaster | Video clips by quotes | 56b240ab | 紗

They've lowered the bar so much and moved the goalposts they are in the sewers acting like grabbing a 'log' to keep them from drowning is a 'win'.

10 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

Haha, it’s like you’re reading from that promo kit. Mr Beefy I think I was right! But maybe this is all a precursor to a TT return where he shows off those two systems and tells us he was winning this whole time.

Nah I was interested in it from a simple gaming side. I really don't care about the Intellivision name like others do.

Like I've said numerous times, my household is the target demographic. Once it hit $200 it was done. At that point it was just get a Switch price range.

The biggest thing it had going for it was it was cheap. Now its just as expensive and has fewer options.

5 hours ago, MattPilz said:

I wonder if Intellivision ever conducted independent focus groups with non-gamers to verify if this sector of traditional gaming is beneficial to play on a screen, versus just bringing out a physical deck of cards or cup of dice.

If I'm with a group of friends/family in the same room and want to play Poker or Yahtzee, it'd be a very abnormal occurrence to decide we should all get out our phones and controllers to play what could be done around a table casually as it has for hundreds of years. I'm not sure those are strong selling points for the controllers or game selection.

I've never seen an Amico controller in real life but the screen is around 3" diagonal 320x240, from the videos I've seen there is not a lot of space for detail on it. The resolution and screen dimensions are less than the first generation iPhones from 15 years back.

The screen is a glorified big button that seems to not always work. It's a very very very shitty version of a WiiU pad.

3 minutes ago, MattPilz said:

j3u6vb40emx91.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s=59a879bb60a37807bd5284993b2b10a20122baf5

Here is the Amico Controller app for phones. The left shows one Tommy demonstrated a couple years back, and the right was shown by Mike NLG yesterday. Whoever developed the app seems to have failed at properly calculating aspect and placement of the components and as such it crops off the top and bottom trigger buttons. To me it also doesn't seem as polished as the one seen in 2020 but maybe that is a skin-based option.

One thing that was frequently mentioned in 2019-2021 was that the system would include phone accessories that could be adhered to create tactical wheel and trigger buttons. Those did not appear in either unboxing of the test units, so I am wondering how that will be effectively tested in this final run of test units before production begins. Mostly though the phone app needs more attention. (It's also not advised to have interactive components in the UI so close to the edges of the screen when modern Android and iOS operating systems use screen edges for so much else. It can greatly interfere with interactions.)

They later said they weren't going to include that. Money is the reason I'm sure. Another great example of a statement they couldn't follow through on. Which unless your an idiot is just another lie.

There was a new article singing the praises of Amico recently released.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, theswede said:

For example all controllers have a screen that can be used for many different things, like having your cards hidden from other players, rolling the dice in dice games, bonus clues in shark shark etc. The interactive lightning in the console (as well as controllers) that could be used for getting visual clues/warnings as well as many other game mechanics it could be used for (i.e bomb squad etc). 

Literally everything you described can be done on a phone or a 3DS or a Switch.

And since those products, you know, actually exist, it's much easier.

6 hours ago, famicommander said:

Nope, none of the things you mention would be able to do everything that I mentioned. 

And, yes, I am aware it is not launched, I answered the hypothetical question “if it miraculously would come out, then who would it be for”.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Maybe they have untold zillions in pre-orders at Montgomery Wards.    😛

Montgomery Wards actually (still) exists in some capacity, unlike the Amico which has never

Montgomery Ward | Buy Now Pay Later Credit (wards.com)

Same with Circuit City

Welcome to Circuit City

And i'm sure everyone by now is familiar with the last Blockbuster remaining in Bend, Oregon.

• Like 2

It was KB toys that had the preorders I bet.

Also here is the type of data that IE used I'm sure. :P

Image-1.thumb.png.e27000198d31791f1aa99d536245e1d4.png

4 hours ago, theswede said:

Nope, none of the things you mention would be able to do everything that I mentioned. 

And, yes, I am aware it is not launched, I answered the hypothetical question “if it miraculously would come out, then who would it be for”.

It's not for you...

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, MattPilz said:

They talked about focus group testing, including things like the controller non-gamers prefer and the orientation they naturally use.  We don't know how extensive it was, and focus group testing ultimately has to be proven in the market.

The computer can be very helpful for a game of poker, not everyone has a set of poker chips, and someone needs to know when and how much to raise blinds.  It's also good for electronic versions of board games, the computer acting as administrator as some can be complex.  Not to mention saving clutter and making it easier to distribute games. New games can be developed combining board game strategy and some onscreen action.

15 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

If you watched the videos for Missile Command and Bomb Squad, and thought they looked easy and fun to play, you’re a much better gamer than me.  I thought Skiing looked good, and I was all in on Cornhole but they butchered that game.

What is it that you don't like about Amico Cornhole?  You'd have to see the completed game for Bomb Squad, the leaked video was specifically demonstrating a bug, development has been put on hold anyway.

14 hours ago, theswede said:

Missile Command is still one of my favourite games.  A versus version of Missile command could have been interesting.

12 hours ago, famicommander said:

You'd lose the big screen linking handhelds and you'd need multiple systems for multiple players.  It is possible and there are examples of combining handheld systems and TV consoles but you'd have to put the pieces together and someone has to create the games for it.  The Amico system supports it out of the box with two controllers.  They are creating a platform specifically for developers to create these types of games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mr_me said:

What is it that you don't like about Amico Cornhole?  You'd have to see the completed game for Bomb Squad, the leaked video was specifically demonstrating a bug, development has been put on hold anyway.

Oh Jesus man don’t make me relive that nonsense. I have had MULTIPLE posts on the old forum about how excited I was about Cornhole and would buy a system just to play it, then the promo video looked good… then they showed that “adjustments” video which looked like garbage, they screwed the gameplay… TT and I had lots of back and forths about it on this site. He promised an updated video which would justify their choices and it never came.  They fucked ‘er bud. That’s when I lost interest. 

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, mr_me said:

1. The computer can be very helpful for a game of poker, not everyone has a set of poker chips, and someone needs to know when and how much to raise blinds.  It's also good for electronic versions of board games, the computer acting as administrator as some can be complex.  Not to mention saving clutter and making it easier to distribute games. New games can be developed combining board game strategy and some onscreen action.

2. You'd have to see the completed game for Bomb Squad, the leaked video was specifically demonstrating a bug, development has been put on hold anyway.

1. If you need the computer to manage it for you maybe you aren't smart enough to play the game to start? Also name one boardgame on Amico that takes up more space than their footbath shell? 

2. You need a citation of your information. It was a hardware and controller issue, not a software bug. The game code was fine. I would be willing to bet you are wrong on the development of it too. I bet you see that before you see an Amico released. Bomb Squad: No stupid touchscreen needed.

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

Oh Jesus man don’t make me relive that nonsense. I have had MULTIPLE posts on the old forum about how excited I was about Cornhole and would buy a system just to play it, then the promo video looked good… then they showed that “adjustments” video which looked like garbage, they screwed the gameplay… TT and I had lots of back and forths about it on this site. He promised an updated video which would justify their choices and it never came.  They fucked ‘er bud. That’s when I lost interest. 

I agree. I was excited for the more casual games. You could just throw with a button push and it wouldn't change how it feels. They couldn't even get the one wii-like game correct. Probably why they were initially calling it CONhole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

1. If you need the computer to manage it for you maybe you aren't smart enough to play the game to start? Also name one boardgame on Amico that takes up more space than their footbath shell? 

In fairness to some folks who've mentioned playing card games, I do have on example where I prefer the digital version. I used to play Magic the Gathering (MTG) : Arena, which is the online version of the MTG card game. Even if you grasp all of the conditional logic involved, especially in a long match, I definitely did not mind having the computer to prevent illegal moves or to perform increasingly tedious calculations.  On top of that, I'm not really interested in collecting / owning the physical cards and MTG Arena had a nice virtual deck management system.  Plus, you could build up a nice set of cards with the rewards that you earned, just by playing.  I guess that they made their $$$ from people who were willing to spend real cash for killer decks, right away. 

That's one example where I would push back a little when people say things like : "Why don't you just play the board/card game?". 

Although, that example wouldn't translate well to the Amico anyway, as managing 7+ cards on that screen would be unworkable. 

Edited by Tommy2D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy2D said:

In fairness to some folks who've mentioned playing card games, I do have on example where I prefer the digital version. I used to play Magic the Gathering (MTG) : Arena, which is the online version of the MTG card game. Even if you grasp all of the conditional logic involved, especially in a long match, I definitely did not mind having the computer involved to prevent illegal moves or to perform increasingly tedious calculations.  On top of that, I'm not really interested in collecting / owning the physical cards and MTG Arena had a nice virtual deck management system.  Plus, you could build up a nice set of cards with the rewards that you earned, just by playing.  I guess that they made their $$$ from people who were willing to spend real cash for killer decks, right away. 

That's one example where I would push back a little when people say things like : "Why don't you just play the board/card game?". 

Although, that example wouldn't translate well to the Amico anyway, as managing 7+ cards on that screen would be unworkable. 

But you know how to play MtG, it isn't too complex for you. You don't need the CPU, you just prefer it.

I like Carcassonne and play it both ways. Each way gives me a different type of experience. If it was too complex it would be less me knowing how to play the game and more me randomly clicking on things to make it work.

20221103_204804.thumb.jpg.2201b481f432ad7e5aaf17e31169e90a.jpg

It seems to be the thoughts behind why this console is good is because people are dumb. Games too complex for you? Buy Amico digital versions! To dumb of a parent to use parental controls? Here's an Amico and rfid card that a child totally couldn't steal! You don't like videogames and want to buy a console without any research (ignoring they would need to ignore all other available products AND know about Amico) here's Amico! You a grandparent who doesn't know what to get your grandkids? Here's Amico! Some of this is just insulting to the intelligence.

Amico: It's not for you, unless you are a dumbass. Then it's for you. Now give us money. When will it release? Aw shucks sometime stop asking questions hater.

I like casual games and board games. Amico has shown nothing to suggest their board games would move the needle. It also ignores that there are options for those games available already.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/cardfight-vanguard-dear-days-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battleship-war-time-to-sink-the-fleet-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/jumanji-the-curse-returns-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/rifftrax-the-game-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/yu-gi-oh-master-duel-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/root-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/fighting-fantasy-legends-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/one-deck-dungeon-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/what-the-dub-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/exploding-kittens-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/the-game-of-life-2-switch/

Okay that's enough. :P

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 4