IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Is Evercade profitable, or is it a hobbyhorse for a rich person who subsidizes it?

Anything is possible, but I've never heard a peep about some rich benefactor. Seems like a pretty standard business structure and history from the available information, including LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/people/?currentCompany=["29305577"]&origin=COMPANY_PAGE_CANNED_SEARCH&sid=_L4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Bill, that's as I thought. Like Analogue, they seem to get things done without the need for showing off "worldwide offices" and other flourishes. 

I heard thru the grapevine that BBG Entertainment's owner is a wealthy individual who has invested in VR versions of "Dynablaster" for VR and Hans Ippisch's peculiar VR-in-the-car boondoggle called Holoride. He cashed out his early mobile company in a sale to Disney almost 20 years ago. 

It seems like there's a lot of money to be made in business-to-business deals like that, and perhaps the biggest mistake Intellivision made was going straight to customers in the public before they were ready. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

Sigh… and you were SO close but just had to get in the last word again… Holy shit dude did you just compare TT with Faust (the guy that signed a deal with the devil, raped a girl, killed her brother and the baby from said rape, and causes the death of her mother… I could go on) in a positive way? Jesus, you really DON’T care about morality or ethics at all do you? Why do you want a family friendly system if you think a Faustian bargain is considered a good thing? You obviously don’t believe in ethics so much as redemption, in the hamfisted “I apologize so accept it and move on” bullying style seen often. Sad take, dude.

Maybe you should consider reading the second part of Faust.

Edited by Creamhoven

4 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

Yes I’ve read it, which makes it even more hilarious that you seem to think that Faust’s arc is in any way similar to TT.  At this point you might as well just get TT’s face tattoos on your chest. What’s your fixation with him? 

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Yes I’ve read it, which makes it even more hilarious that you seem to think that Faust’s arc is in any way similar to TT.  At this point you might as well just get TT’s face tattoos on your chest. What’s your fixation with him? 

No I don't think that they are similiar. I just think that flawed people can trancend their spirits and reach higher states of minds despite themselves. I don't think we will agree on everything but I think we can agree on alot of things. Tommy Tallarico has a moral flexibility that is very unfortunate. I hope we can find some agreement.

Edited by Creamhoven

1 minute ago, jerseystyle said:

I don't want to pick on him or anyone else, but he's weirdly not alone. I don't get the worship for the guy (even if Amico didn't happen). And it's certainly not like he availed himself well publicly even before the Amico thing crashed and burned, so that's even less of a reason to continue to try and elevate the guy. He's not worth it and never was.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Also I suspect that most of them are not as much fans of Tommy as they just want him to succeed, because they don't like "the big 3" and want an alternative. At least that's what I get from what Creamhoven is saying. Most of the Amico fans hate modern gaming and hate Nintendo because NES killed the 2600, the ColecoVision, and the Intellivision, so they won't be happy until someone crushed them, Microsoft, and Sony. Good luck with that. 🙂

Also Tommy reminds me more of Crime and Punishment's Rasknolnikov; he committed a "crime" (against good taste) because he felt entitled to do it, and now he'll spend the rest of his life eaten alive by remorse. ☺️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Also I suspect that most of them are not as much fans of Tommy as they just want him to succeed, because they don't like "the big 3" and want an alternative. At least that's what I get from what Creamhoven is saying. Most of the Amico fans hate modern gaming and hate Nintendo because NES killed the 2600, the ColecoVision, and the Intellivision, so they won't be happy until someone crushed them, Microsoft, and Sony. Good luck with that. 🙂

Also Tommy reminds me more of Crime and Punishment's Rasknolnikov; he committed a "crime" (against good taste) because he felt entitled to do it, and now he'll spend the rest of his life eaten alive by remorse. ☺️

But remember at the end of crime and punishment his mother was very proud of him (and he got the girl). So, maybe… TT was right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

NES killed the 2600, the ColecoVision, and the Intellivision

The video game industry was completely dead by 1983, well before the NES arrived. See here:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

The NES, however, completely revitalized the dead gaming industry a couple years later. Just to be clear on that history.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

But remember at the end of crime and punishment his mother was very proud of him (and he got the girl). So, maybe… TT was right?

Well, the point of the book is that prison is not that bad compared to the remorse you're supposed to feel being an murderer. But sometimes I'm wondering if I wouldn't be the only one person feeling remorse in that case. 😔 Anyway, it was a bad idea to compare Tommy to my favorite book. 😅

2 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

The video game industry was completely dead by 1983, well before the NES arrived. See here:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

Oh I agree (well, not completely dead, but the console market was in the US), I was only saying what they think is true.

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

That cornhole gameplay footage from MM was honestly worse than I thought it would be and I had low expectations.  Horrific animations and physics system. 

To be fair I suspect it was disheartening for Tommy and Co to realize it was not as good as they hoped. Like many people who think WiiSports and casual games as a whole are cheap, quick ventures for developers, they probably thought it was easy to come up with a game like that.

• Like 4

On 6/6/2023 at 11:04 PM, jerseystyle said:

Yes those were the days…

They really were. So many were so thermonuclear butthurt that anyone other than that thread could have fun.

On 6/7/2023 at 4:31 AM, Pink said:

All of you people that are criticizing Cornhole's physics in Mullis' latest video, how many of you have actually played it yourself??? 🤡

🤣🤣🤣

nick played it.png

tumblr_7ca9fb13174c808d443fd286dcd05364_a7062941_400.jpg.285938034a1ea23e9c1fa58fc8ab69fc.jpg

19 hours ago, famicommander said:

Even if Tommy had delivered literally everything he promised with the Amico we still wouldn't have another "competitor" to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. The Amico's most optimistic, wildest dreams of lifetime success would still be a minuscule percentage of a single year's worth of the third place console's sales. 

Even if you are nice and count preorders as sales, it didn't even get close to the Playdate. Which Tommy claimed was not as popular or something equally dumb.

16 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

He is fun to watch, especially when he's not selling something. 

tumblr_6f4426a95908be6f4a097434367a2097_8d07efce_400.gif.50d511e92586d788de2e3b0157f9a215.gif

He reminds me of a Fred Willard character in more ways than one. 

2019042092_Screenshot2023-06-07at3_35_59PM.thumb.png.26164a949659e3cd9ecb523d89152072.png

Pretty sure Tommy has been on that rocket too long. His eyebrows are in a fixed position...

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.807ff021aeb24cdf794739bcd120e679.gifezgif.com-video-to-gif.thumb.gif.60696967dc4c3542b4187af289abfac5.gif

14 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

It really did seem like a lot of the Amico support came from some weird, "Nintendo killed my childhood console" vibe. The people here at AtariAge super fanning for Amico seemed super out of touch. Heck I didn't even own a Switch until after the pandemic was in full swing, and I could tell most of the anti-Switch talk was BS.

Which is funny because my wife was the main push to get a Switch, and then my mother wanted me to look for one for her too! 🤣

5 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

That cornhole gameplay footage from MM was honestly worse than I thought it would be and I had low expectations.  Horrific animations and physics system. 

Yeah the kids making fun of the physics and glitch were the best part of that footage. Makes me wonder if Mike made fun of the game off camera and that's were the kid picked up on it. Sunken cost and love of TT probably prevents him from being honest.

Also I hear he's predictably using his kids as a shield. The guy is an idiot for publicly posting them like that and not blurring them out. Smash also should have blurred them out knowing Mullis would have a middle schooler like breakdown. 🙄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

The NES, however, completely revitalized the dead gaming industry a couple years later. Just to be clear on that history.

The gaming industry changed.  The Commodore 64 was released in 1982, Atari computer sales started in 1979 but started picking up steam in the early 80s, Apple IIs were starting to show up more and more.
At least for me and all my gaming friends, we didn't stop playing games but we did start playing them on home computers. 
NES came along and proved a game console could still entertain the masses with a smaller investment. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

Maybe you should log out and never come back. Perhaps you will find like minded folks elsewhere on the internet. Clearly you have found none here nor will you. AtariAge is clearly not the place for you.  Don't know how you have not come to that realization yet. There is probably a group for you but this one isn't it.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rowsdower70 said:

The gaming industry changed.  The Commodore 64 was released in 1982, Atari computer sales started in 1979 but started picking up steam in the early 80s, Apple IIs were starting to show up more and more.
At least for me and all my gaming friends, we didn't stop playing games but we did start playing them on home computers. 
NES came along and proved a game console could still entertain the masses with a smaller investment. 

As far as I understand it, the idea of the gaming crash is a american phenomenon. In japan and europe it was a different story. Perhaps because computers were more popular in europe at least.

• Like 1

The Crash happened and it primarily affected the US, but gaming sales, even those for consoles, never did fully stop. It was lean for about a year+ until the NES picked up steam, but a lot of us still gamed on consoles. Of course, many of us also enjoyed using computers. There was definitely a feeling of "computers are the future" and "videogames were a fad" from the gaming press and in general, but again, if you look at the actual sales, timing, stock, etc., it was a very short deviation, even in the US.

It's also important to remember that there was a huge market correction on the computer side of things as well. Quite a few computer platforms came and went between 1982 - 1985. The C-64 effectively dominated and all but eliminated most of the competition on the low end in the US. In Europe, there was far more competition because they were far more price conscious than we were here. It's one reason why tapes remained a thing over there through the early 90s when here in the US they were effectively a dead medium after 1984. In any case, other markets tended to lag behind the US in terms of computer progression/adoption (with us having fewer major platforms faster and standardizing on PCs), until things pretty much standardized across all territories in the mid-90s. So yes, absolutely, the histories of the major territories were all quite different the first few decades of the industries being born.

To tie this all back to the Amico, I suppose it might be interesting for someone (not me!) to write a book one day that entirely consists of vaporware consoles and computers. Not so much the ones solely announced and not much work done on them (I'd make an exception for Coleco Chameleon), but the ones that were either close to release, had public demos, or had very limited releases, and then speculating on in what way, if any, they might have impacted the market had they actually seen release. There are at least half a dozen candidates that immediately come to mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rowsdower70 said:

Right. I enjoy video game history, so I am very aware of all of that. And I remember that time very well! Oregon Trail filled the gap in those years, which was so fun. That market correction was needed, and now look at how successful the video game industry is today.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

30 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

TT isn't even worthy to wear that Calvin and Hobbes shirt. It's likely a bootleg.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Watterson ever allowed any official C&H shirts, so they'd all be bootlegs.  

But you know Tommy... Watterson's likely a dear, close friend and had one specially made just for him.

• Haha 10