IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

11 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Well this is what the FCC says about use of numbers).

2.5 FCC Logo
Devices authorized under the SDoC procedure have the option to use the FCC logo to indicate compliance with the FCC rules, 12 and the logo may be included in the instruction materials or as part of an e-label. The FCC logo shall only be used on a product that has been tested, evaluated, and found to be compliant in accordance with the SDoC procedures. The use of the FCC logo on the device does not mitigate the requirement to provide a means to uniquely identify the product or to provide the required compliance information statement. The FCC logo cannot be used on products that are exempt from an authorization by rule (e.g., Section 15.103 exempt devices, or Section 15.3 incidental radiators) unless the SDoC procedure has been fully applied for the product.

Last I checked they did not provide a way to uniquely identify the device (fake numbers).

So this says the company is required to go through the SDoC procedure in order to use the symbol on a product.  Unlike the certification procedure, testing for the SDoC procedure can be at any lab, doesn't have to be an FCC accredited lab, and the results are not uploading to the FCC database. It's a self declaration.  SDoC applies only to the unintentional rf emissions portion of fcc authorisation, which they claimed to have successfully tested.  I thought the photos of the prototype had model numbers on the label.

8 hours ago, MattPilz said:

But it also would had been one of the least involved efforts to check off a major milestone if they were truly ready, as the CEO implied would happen within a few weeks...back in 2021. The cost of the table and logistics for their High Octane award (“Best Consumer Technology Innovation”) could had alternatively covered the final FCC expenses if cost was the concern. And by 2021 Tommy and an engineer explained on video how since the hardware and console was entirely finished, they had extra time to kill so could focus on extra polish like how much noise the clicks were when docking a controller.

They were quick to get games ESRB-rated and approved even long before the games were complete, and used that as a promotional point to illustrate how close they were in preparation of launch. They did not do the same for FCC, apparently.

image.thumb.png.27ff68f2f664c0c3aa4634727b3d9068.png

Hardware may have been ready but they had no plan in place for manufacturing.  They claimed successful testing for rf emissions according to the fcc SDoC procedure, so that would be checked off.  That does leave fcc certification of the intentional radiators, e.g. Wifi, bluetooth, but those power levels can be software controlled and easily adjusted.

Edited by mr_me
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Hardware may have been ready but they had no plan in place for manufacturing.

To the best of my knowledge that has no material relevance to FCC certification. But on that subject...

"no plan in place for manufacturing" seems contrary to a lot of statements made by Intellivision since 2020. I would argue they had very specific and detailed plans in place, at least publicly and throughout their 2020-2021 trajectory.

Here was Tommy's response to your own question about manufacturing, from 2020:

Already secured $150M for manufacturing.  That is separate from our "raise" of $30M to get us to launch. :)

Every pitch video and fundraising campaign painted a very clear picture that they were on the cusp of manufacturing. We know they did drop over $1M to one manufacturing company, announced in September 2020:

"Ark's commitment to deploying a comprehensive suite of manufacturing services to Intellivision resonates well with our home entertainment product strategy," said Michael Lang, EVP, and Chief Revenue Officer of Ark Electronics. "The combined passion and transparent relationship with Intellivision go well beyond the traditional vendor relationship and we're delighted to manufacture a truly revolutionary and family-oriented gaming system that will bring families together worldwide."

^ This sounds more than "no plan" to me, and any failures of these plans are, hmm... After raising $17M to $150M depending on which version we believe, it should had certainly been enough to get the system (rocket) off the ground.

image.thumb.png.62a6e993608668282287506b4248d7f1.png

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 3

Their plans definitely changed since 2020.

The $150M was a manufacturing line of credit they claimed to have had, it would have been short term debt had they used any portion of it.  The $17M raised is funding e.g. equity investment, revenue share investment, convertible loans, etc.  

Edited by mr_me

8 hours ago, MattPilz said:

To the best of my knowledge that has no material relevance to FCC certification. But on that subject...

"no plan in place for manufacturing" seems contrary to a lot of statements made by Intellivision since 2020. I would argue they had very specific and detailed plans in place, at least publicly and throughout their 2020-2021 trajectory.

Here was Tommy's response to your own question about manufacturing, from 2020:

Every pitch video and fundraising campaign painted a very clear picture that they were on the cusp of manufacturing. We know they did drop over $1M to one manufacturing company, announced in September 2020:

^ This sounds more than "no plan" to me, and any failures of these plans are, hmm... After raising $17M to $150M depending on which version we believe, it should had certainly been enough to get the system (rocket) off the ground.

image.thumb.png.62a6e993608668282287506b4248d7f1.png

Yeah they lied about their progress. Boards may have been designed but were not finalized as noted by the revisions they had to do at least 3 month after their launch. 

They lost that $1 million by not keeping their end of the deal. This is a Tommy says they have a plan vs Tommy doesn't actually do anything.

When they passed up the opportunity in February 2020 to have all parts sourced and manufactured, is a sign they had no intention of ever doing this.

According to the RetroBro they also got an injection of money late 2021 and should have been able to manufacture then to.

This isn't about "plans changing" like delusional morons say. It is about gross incompetence or flat out scam actions. I would argue both. Here is the definition of scam.

Screenshot_20230623_074302_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2247252dc7840bc58cc49cad6c85370d.jpg

Dishonest scheme is exactly what @Tommy Tallarico did. They lied about their progress 100% (hardware not ready until MAYBE 2021, still not certified so I'd argue still not ready). Lied about their finances and used crowdfunding. 

The console officially failed at the end of 2019 or early 2020. It had nothing to do with Covid. It had everything to do with they were incompetent and no one wanted their tripe.

Some idiot(s) needs to learn that lying and that lie not coming true DOES NOT EQUAL plans change. It is called the liar changing the lie and making excuses for his lies. 

tumblr_f722739824b2e135d7ec650decfd862b_45bd9857_400.gif.00c923c13cf77fac21efdea3b690e53d.gif

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

When they passed up the opportunity in February 2020 to have all parts sourced and manufactured, is a sign they had no intention of ever doing this.

According to the RetroBro they also got an injection of money late 2021 and should have been able to manufacture then to.

This isn't about "plans changing" like delusional morons say. It is about gross incompetence or flat out scam actions. I would argue both. Here is the definition of scam.

How can they go to manufacturing in February 2020 when they weren't ready, hardware or software.  They made a big announcement in August 2020 that they weren't ready.  

The company risk disclosure shared in 2022 detailed how board members put in hundreds of thousands of dollars in the second half of 2021.  Enough for a possible small production run, nowhere near what they originally had planned.

Their plans changed because they were forced.  For example, the manufacturing line of credit disappeared, manufacturing costs were up, funding came short, development slowed, and no doubt mistakes were made.

Edited by mr_me

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I've seen Indiana Jones in many different films. @Tommy Tallarico is no Indiana Jones. But I suppose with all his lies, he's also a fictional character. 

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones

I hear when you open an Amico box all the nearby gaming fascists' faces melt.

Indiana Jones Life GIF

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

How can they go to manufacturing in February 2020 when they weren't ready, hardware or software.  They made a big announcement in August 2020 that they weren't ready.  

The company risk disclosure shared in 2022 detailed how board members put in hundreds of thousands of dollars in the second half of 2021.  Enough for a possible small production run, nowhere near what they originally had planned.

Their plans changed because they were forced.  For example, the manufacturing line of credit disappeared, manufacturing costs were up, funding came short, development slowed, and no doubt mistakes were made.

They were talking to a manufacturer in February 2020. They could have struck a deal for the manufacturer to not just male the console but source all parts, AND they would have still turned around $100 of profit per console. They screwed up and passed on the deal.

They weren't forced you ignorant clod. Stuff didn't magically disappear. They were lying in 2019 about their progress and lost that line of credit because they didn't have the amount of orders they claimed. They didn't have the number of consoles ordered to show they could actually start paying back that loan. They never had that line of credit. It was always contingent on them.

It wasn't forced. It was failed. They've lied for a very long time. It is sad you can't admit that. Your beloved Intellivision is having its bones picked clean because they would rather act like they haven't lied to keep collecting a paycheck, than shut down shop.

Which is why when the investor pulled out and their preorders were less than the quirky Playdate, they should have called it quits instead of crowdfund and blow people's money, KNOWING they had zilch.

You really should change your name to mr_meLLLLLLLLLLL.

:D

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

According to ex-Intellivision hardware engineer Andre LaMothe, the Amico hardware was ready by the end of 2019.

Since, as we have already established during the FCC certification discussion, engineers never lie, it would seem that they absolutely could have manufactured it starting February 2020. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

According to ex-Intellivision hardware engineer Andre LaMothe, the Amico hardware was ready by the end of 2019.

Since, as we have already established during the FCC certification discussion, engineers never lie, it would seem that they absolutely could have manufactured it starting February 2020. 🙂

This is a stupid question, but do we need to specify hardware?

Like just boards vs I hit power and device powers up and functions at the intended level?

It seems like people forget that it's the software part of hardware that is hard. Fundable said hardware was 100% but OS and firmware were not. Boards seem pretty useless without those two things.

Remember when all their job postings were for accessories? 🤭

ezgif.com-resize.gif.d1760724f7f7a18b6db464e579a8dce7.gif

You don't necessarily have the software finished to put the hardware in production, indeed practically nobody does these days. You just need to have something good enough to accept an OTA update on launch day.

I just get the impression that the Amico was never ready for production mostly because getting it ready never seemed to be much of a priority to the management, and it still isn't going on Phil's latest pronouncements.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Andre Lamothe was a consultant, he engineered the controller, not the console.  Company engineers later redid the controller design.  You can read what one of the company engineers said about it here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Intellivision_Amico/comments/wbxxds/comment/iikyb6z/

They finalised the design and had working prototypes around end of 2019, e.g. changes to controller orientation, board layout, storage memory.  Not necessarily a production ready prototype.

4 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

They were talking to a manufacturer in February 2020. They could have struck a deal for the manufacturer to not just male the console but source all parts, AND they would have still turned around $100 of profit per console. They screwed up and passed on the deal.

They weren't forced you ignorant clod. Stuff didn't magically disappear. They were lying in 2019 about their progress and lost that line of credit because they didn't have the amount of orders they claimed. They didn't have the number of consoles ordered to show they could actually start paying back that loan. They never had that line of credit. It was always contingent on them.

It wasn't forced. It was failed. They've lied for a very long time. It is sad you can't admit that. Your beloved Intellivision is having its bones picked clean because they would rather act like they haven't lied to keep collecting a paycheck, than shut down shop.

Which is why when the investor pulled out and their preorders were less than the quirky Playdate, they should have called it quits instead of crowdfund and blow people's money, KNOWING they had zilch.

They were still making engineering changes to the hardware in 2021, fcc rf emissions testing not passed until summer 2021 is what we were told.  There's no question there was a screw-up with their manufacturer, it cost them over a million dollars.  That deal shows that their concept for an inexpensive console was not out of line. 

If their plan fails then they would be forced to come up with a different plan. Scrapping the project might have been the right thing to do.  Lots of products in development go pretty far but get shelved for any number of reasons.  I don't have to admit anything, i have nothing to do with the project.  And I've already written here about several things they've said that wasn't right.  This is a company that's named after an old game system. They are not the game system that people owned in the 1980s.

Preordering, actually prepaying for a Playdate was the only way to get one.  We were initially told that putting in a deposit on an Amico was optional, that you could buy one after it was released.

Edited by mr_me

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I've seen Indiana Jones in many different films. @Tommy Tallarico is no Indiana Jones. But I suppose with all his lies, he's also a fictional character. 

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones

Tommy reeks of class in that picture 😎

5 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I hear when you open an Amico box all the nearby gaming fascists' faces melt.

To be honest, that's already what happens to my face when I watch some of Amico games' graphics. Especially Finnegan Fox's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Andre Lamothe was a consultant, he engineered the controller, not the console.  Company engineers later redid the controller design.  You can read what one of the company engineers said about it here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Intellivision_Amico/comments/wbxxds/comment/iikyb6z/

They finalised the design and had working prototypes around end of 2019, e.g. changes to controller orientation, board layout, storage memory.  Not necessarily a production ready prototype.

No, he specifically said that they were "sitting on finished hardware for a year and a half" as of June 2021.

CDN media

That's Amico for you. Even the engineers contradict each other, let alone the management.

It's bullshit all the way down.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The hardware did look pretty well baked at the end of 2019, when tommy accidentally showed the PCBs hanging on the guy's cube walls.  It was the complete board set for the amico, and two revisions of the main board no less.  The controller design was finished at this point by the look of it (as in using the disc and all that).  The only possible change was them swapping the touch screen out.  He showed some PCB CAD, and a few pcb shots of the controller on the desk. 

My question is WHY did intellivision spend over a million dollars as a deposit on manufacturing, knowing full well they were not going to make it?  They had to know it was dead before they paid.  We know tommy was fond of wasting money on licenses that they had absolutely no way to use (since there were no games written yet that could possibly use them).   I am pretty sure the games generally are done, or close to done when the license deal is struck (possibly needing some assets changed/modified to accommodate the license) because time is usually of the essence.  We know that time ran out on some of those, because the latest box design is missing several.

Also, to beat the certification horse some more, their engineers claimed they "would pass" the testing on their second go, but this means nothing because they would've had to actually get it tested a second time to pass.  We know they didn't.  Their word means nothing, simply because you cannot self-certify, and it doesn't pass until it's tested.  Full stop.  I don't care what they said. 

I am 99% sure the main failure with amico (besides the (mis)management) was simply down to a lack of software development.  I am guessing they didn't have the code for it close to done until well into 2021.  Without the code, they were kind of screwed.  Maybe they could've manufactured some, but they'd be about as good as a leaky foot bath without code to run it.  Sure you can do day 1 updates, but you need enough brains in there to actually be able to do the update.  So I am going with the combination of failed testing and software issues being the ultimate failure of the hardware itself.   Tommy was too worried about his image and fighting the haters and pounding the pavement that he didn't take time to actually find good developers. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

A primary reason why small businesses fail is a lack of funding or working capital. In most instances a business owner is intimately aware of how much money is needed to keep operations running on a day-to-day basis, including funding payroll; paying fixed and varied overhead expenses, such as rent and utilities; and ensuring that outside vendors are paid on time; however, owners of failing companies are less in tune with how much revenue is generated by sales of products or services. This disconnect leads to funding shortfalls that can quickly put a small business out of operation.

A second reason is business owners who miss the mark on pricing products and services. To beat out the competition in highly saturated industries, companies may price a product or service far lower than similar offerings, with the intent to entice new customers.

While the strategy is successful in some cases, businesses that end up closing their doors are those that keep the price of a product or service too low for too long. When the costs of production, marketing, and delivery outweigh the revenue generated from new sales, small businesses have little choice but to close down.

Small companies in the startup phase can face challenges in terms of obtaining financing in order to bring a new product to market, fund an expansion, or pay for ongoing marketing costs. While angel investors, venture capitalists, and conventional bank loans are among the funding sources available to small businesses, not every company has the revenue stream or growth trajectory needed to secure major financing from them. Without an influx of funding for large projects or ongoing working capital needs, small businesses are forced to close their doors.

To help a small business manage common financing hurdles, business owners should first establish a realistic budget for company operations and be willing to provide some capital from their own coffers during the startup or expansion phase.

It is imperative to research and secure financing options from multiple outlets before the funding is actually necessary. When the time comes to obtain funding, business owners should already have a variety of sources they can tap for capital.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Tommy reeks of class in that picture 😎

To be honest, that's already what happens to my face when I watch some of Amico games' graphics. Especially Finnegan Fox's.

I actually don't hate FF graphics. It was pretty rough to watch DJC play because it looked boring and he wasn't good at playing. 

7 hours ago, Matt_B said:

You don't necessarily have the software finished to put the hardware in production, indeed practically nobody does these days. You just need to have something good enough to accept an OTA update on launch day.

I just get the impression that the Amico was never ready for production mostly because getting it ready never seemed to be much of a priority to the management, and it still isn't going on Phil's latest pronouncements.

Day 1 updates go against the simplicity idea of the Amico though. 

You are right about the priority of the company. The priority was to do nightly interviews. 1.5 hours of which was the CEO talking about himself, and the next 1.5 hours making shit up for a fantasy cosplay of a game company.

5 hours ago, Matt_B said:

No, he specifically said that they were "sitting on finished hardware for a year and a half" as of June 2021.

CDN media

That's Amico for you. Even the engineers contradict each other, let alone the management.

It's bullshit all the way down.

That's because the company was being ran by a chicken who had its head cut off. And even then a chicken without it's head may have had more focus and direction.

1 hour ago, kevtris said:

Also, to beat the certification horse some more, their engineers claimed they "would pass" the testing on their second go, but this means nothing because they would've had to actually get it tested a second time to pass.  We know they didn't.  Their word means nothing, simply because you cannot self-certify, and it doesn't pass until it's tested.  Full stop.  I don't care what they said. 

I am 99% sure the main failure with amico (besides the (mis)management) was simply down to a lack of software development.  I am guessing they didn't have the code for it close to done until well into 2021.  Without the code, they were kind of screwed.  Maybe they could've manufactured some, but they'd be about as good as a leaky foot bath without code to run it.  Sure you can do day 1 updates, but you need enough brains in there to actually be able to do the update.  So I am going with the combination of failed testing and software issues being the ultimate failure of the hardware itself.   Tommy was too worried about his image and fighting the haters and pounding the pavement that he didn't take time to actually find good developers. 

Oh yeah but have any of your products been featured in Best Buy Canada's blog? You know nothing of the process to make claims about a console and not delivering. They are doing something on a different scale you wouldn't understand. They are the console of hopes and dreams. Try manufacturing that! 

2 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

hey everyone, water's wet so's that's why the Amico didn't come out.

Didn't Phil's last update mention talk on forums? Sounds like the company still has its head up its ass if they are worried about haters.

Too bad they can't shut us up by making the product as promised. I mentioned this on a stream chat but if they want me to shut up they can send me a test unit. :P

I'm sure my family can put it through its paces much more effectively than the 0% progress we've seen from current testers. 🤣

• Like 1

Another common reason small businesses fail is a lack of business acumen on the part of the management team or business owner. In some instances, a business owner is the only senior-level person within a company, especially when a business is in its first year or two of operation.

While the owner may have the skills necessary to create and sell a viable product or service, they often lack the attributes of a strong manager and don't have the time to successfully oversee other employees. Without a dedicated management team, a business owner has greater potential to mismanage certain aspects of the business, whether it be finances, hiring, or marketing.

Smart business owners outsource the activities they do not perform well or have little time to successfully carry through. A strong management team is one of the first additions a small business needs to continue operations well into the future. It is important for business owners to feel comfortable with the level of understanding each manager has regarding the business’ operations, current and future employees, and products or services.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Another common reason small businesses fail ...

Does a small business ever fail because they weren't prepared for global dominance and lacked the foresight to set up offices stocked with high level executives in Southern California, Utah, Dubai, Western Europe and Asia in advance? At least give Amico some credit for having that issue covered.

• Haha 6