IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

On 7/6/2022 at 3:00 PM, MrBeefy said:

Here found where this all came from. Pat on a Twitch stream said that Chameleon was the height of the channel. ...

... and now SmashJT privated the video where the quote falsely attributed to Pat the NES Punk actually originated from (i.e., Pat did not actually make the quote).

Yeah, I know this issue was pretty much wrapped up a couple weeks ago, but this warranted mentioning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

... and now SmashJT privated the video where the quote falsely attributed to Pat the NES Punk actually originated from (i.e., Pat did not actually make the quote).

Yeah, I know this issue was pretty much wrapped up a couple weeks ago, but this warranted mentioning.

Scrubbing the internet?   ?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Rev said:

Scrubbing the internet?   ?

Damn that hater Beefy for pointing crap out! I guess Smash listened to the previous week's CUPodcast. ?

Any tech savvy people here know what atmosphere is and why they might be running it on Amicos? Everything I try and look it up I get talk about it being for loading Android onto your Swich. :P

Screenshot_20210714-122653.thumb.png.2265f53111d98d5fd1c53a67de6023f4.png

30 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Damn that hater Beefy for pointing crap out! I guess Smash listened to the previous week's CUPodcast. ?

Any tech savvy people here know what atmosphere is and why they might be running it on Amicos? Everything I try and look it up I get talk about it being for loading Android onto your Swich. :P

Screenshot_20210714-122653.thumb.png.2265f53111d98d5fd1c53a67de6023f4.png

Maybe @Kevtris can explain what Atmosphere is doing on the Amico menu. 

My wild conspiracy is that (some) playable Amico consoles had something other than an actual Amico PCB in the shells at one point emulating the unfinished OS. Again, thats just my theory. Dont quote me!

At the events the Amicos appeared to have a cable running to a laptop, which may of been passed off as a video capture.    Have we ever actually seen a plain Amico hooked up to a TV with only 1 HDMI cable to a TV and no other wires?  Dont think so. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, number6 said:

Finally, I am -not- saying the example above applies here. I just offer it to illustrate that conclusions made in forums tend to be somewhat simplistic.

Maybe somewhere down the road you'll get more info and therefore a better understanding of what went on inside Intellivision. Today is just not that day.

I really think it's a mixture of things to be honest and not necessarily a "crap chip".

Even something as simple as Farkle showed issues with lag. That isn't a game that would push the hardware to its limit.

I think they were having issues with their controllers which is why a bunch of footage always showed phones. Even at the events it was not uncommon for controllers to drop connectivity. There is also footage from Bombsquad and IGN ME that shows them to be irresponsive/laggy some.

I think they thought the hard part was designing and making the board and not the firmware and such.

It will be fun when NDAs come up and if anyone wants to discuss their experiences. Maybe they can be a different type of deep dives. ? 

17 minutes ago, Rev said:

My wild conspiracy is that (some) playable Amico consoles had something other than an actual Amico PCB in the shells at one point emulating the unfinished OS. Again, thats just my theory. Dont quote me!

At the events the Amicos appeared to have a cable running to a laptop, which may of been passed off as a video capture.    Have we ever actually seen a plain Amico hooked up to a TV with only 1 HDMI cable to a TV and no other wires?  Dont think so. 

Well in this picture you can see the game selection screen is the top left icon which makes me think that it was just an

apk they had installed.

I know RetroBro now questions what he was actually playing on. Another one of the inner circle said none of them were production ready models. Pat's inside source gave him the impression that early stuff was on an Orange Pi board. We know in the early days, he was using an Aurdino board to show flashy lights on the shell.

I would hope at that point they were using their own boards.

Evercade vs Atari VCS vs Amiga A500 Mini vs Intellivision Amico

Interesting to me in that his approach excludes the top 3 and states up front that he is going to discuss what he has, not what he has read about.

So it is a kind of class that he sees fit for some comparison.

To me the somewhat different approach here is covering each in categories such as availability and even innovation in addition to h/w, s/w, controllers talk that you would expect.

As we go deeper into a period where people are looking at what disposable income means to them, this may be even more relevant.

I think he has tried to be fair here even by including Intellivision Amico in such a discussion and being serious about it.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by number6
Added disclaimer for reason: because

They weren't production ready until at least late 2021.  That's the developer UI you are looking at.  The icon at the top left opens the user UI.  Atmosphere could be anything, it could be some sort of music app. If you google it you'll find a developer framework for enterprise java.

As everyone knows the Amico is based on a Snapdragon soc with 2GB ram.  That's pretty standard for Android.  Developer Amicos and end user Amicos are identical as far as the hardware is concerned, different firmware but based on the same code base.  Much of their work is inside the controllers.

And lots of people have seen, in person, Amicos running without extra cables for the conspiracy theorists.

Edited by mr_me

5 minutes ago, mr_me said:

They weren't production ready until at least late 2021.  That's the developer UI you are looking at.  The icon at the top left opens the user UI.  Atmosphere could be anything, it could be some sort of music app. If you google it you'll find a developer framework for enterprise java.

As everyone knows the Amico is based on a Snapdragon soc with 2GB ram.  That's pretty standard for Android.  Developer Amicos and end user Amicos are identical as far as the hardware is concerned, different firmware but based on the same code base.  Much of their work is inside the controllers.

And lots of people have seen Amicos running without extra cables for the conspiracy theorists.

But in any pics or videos?

1 hour ago, Rev said:

That's actually a really good theory.

At the event I went to at Boomers in Irvine everything was operated from underneath a table with a table cloth covering it.

The games were not started or stopped from the Amico itself sitting on top of the table. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

That's actually a really good theory.

At the event I went to at Boomers in Irvine everything was operated from underneath a table with a table cloth covering it.

The games were not started or stopped from the Amico itself sitting on top of the table. 

Maybe im not a crazy conspiracy theorist after all. 

Will the public tour event videos be the next thing scrubbed?

Edited by Rev
  • Haha 1

Recent unboxing video. 

the Hdmi cable does not go directly to TV.  Maybe part of video capture, maybe not.  Why cant the Hdmi just go straight to tv.  Why would they even need to capture themselves playing one last time before the office was vacated. 

similar set up in the tour videos if you look very close. 

5AF45153-DE59-4B7C-A666-35F838C7B87B.png

17E8969A-5543-44E1-B9DD-0A6B039ABFE0.jpeg

• Like 2

That's a promotional video not an event video, so they're capturing output for the video.  There's actually a promo video, a new years Astrosmash video where you can identify the actual hdmi splitter model and see where the input is coming from and where the outputs are going.

Edited by mr_me

5 hours ago, Rev said:

Maybe im not a crazy conspiracy theorist after all. 

Will the public tour event videos be the next thing scrubbed?

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Might as well be,since they stopped doing anymore public tour events anyway!

Alvarado was under the table running the Amico games switchboard.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Alvarado was under the table running the Amico games switchboard.

I doubt it was that bad. ?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were still running the events using off-the-shelf dev boards, SBCs or phones though. These would be fine in terms of playing the games and could fit inside the cases without need for the obvious telltale of external wiring.

However, they wouldn't want anyone with any technical knowledge opening them up to see what's inside, which would explain why they were only doing events rather than sending them out to YouTubers as preview units. We all know what happens when someone spots that your circuit board isn't what you say it is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rev said:

LMFAO

I have seen many Amico's connected directly to tv's   I have played them.  Actually, I didn't see any computers around at all.

Kind of wish I did both Boston locations instead of just the one.  Still got a good feel for the console and controllers.

Don't know if this was talked about...  But the color of your on screen character was also the color around the outside of the disc on the controller.  Nice little touch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

I doubt it was that bad. ?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were still running the events using off-the-shelf dev boards, SBCs or phones though. These would be fine in terms of playing the games and could fit inside the cases without need for the obvious telltale of external wiring.

However, they wouldn't want anyone with any technical knowledge opening them up to see what's inside, which would explain why they were only doing events rather than sending them out to YouTubers as preview units. We all know what happens when someone spots that your circuit board isn't what you say it is.

I also saw controllers get plopped into the console and start charging.

But even with that, could be room.