IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

9 hours ago, 5-11under said:

So past tense. When you stated they are making games, that gives the impression they are working on games right now.

And now you've done it again, with "the company funds most development work". I'm guessing that's past tense, based on the next part of the sentence, but it would have been more accurate to say that "in the past, the company funded most development work".

Think of how crappy it is to make games for them and never get released to get some money.

This is your Back Talk Party dev.

11 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Think of how crappy it is to make games for them and never get released to get some money.

Its only about the friends you make along the way…..nothing else matters!  

Edited by Rev
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

Its only about the friends you make along the way…..nothing else matters!  

Translation. The console flopped and are rationalizing it. I mean I didn't waste a bunch of money or invest in this dumpster fire and Iade friends who won't backstab me because I have a difference of opinion on a toy.

So yeah, that line is a lot of copium. Speaking of DJC his last video was kind of sad when he said, " If it doesn't come out, what was it all for?" Lot of copium and sunken cost fallacy.

My guess is they will scrounge together some units. Probably less than 100. And give them to the YTers who still talk to them behind the scenes. The story will be, "Look guys it's real! Don't listen to haters!" IE will use this as a last ditch effort to leverage these channels who will spin the console however IE tells them too. They will act like it is the beginning of the FE production amd are 'on their way', when it reality it isn't. It will be their last chance to get an investor, or someone to buy them out.

Assuming that pitch thing on reddit is legit, the exit strategy makes me think they've been hoping for a buy out from pretty much the start of this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I think it's safe to say the marketing showed IT'S NOT FOR HIM™️

Amico has shown it will sell not-games. So having 3 games ready doesn't fit into their not-games console.

Not-games are perfect type of games for non-gaming soccer moms and boomers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going back to NFT. “Every game is an NFT” was said by IE at one point. May not be precise quote. 

The last update from IE said they was value engineering right? My guess NFT goes away quietly in the night…..

And if it does, its more bait and switch. 

• Like 1

Bait and switch with NFT?  It can be useful down the road but I don't see it mattering much if it's there on system release or not.

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

They also did Blank Slate.  Were they not paid?  The company has done payment in advance of royalties type deals.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Bait and switch with NFT?  It can be useful down the road but I don't see it mattering much if it's there on system release or not.

Yea, IF the games are not NFT and the NFT marketplace/store or blockchain isnt operational, they baited everyone with the promise of having this jawdropping new technology, then value engineer it out of the console.   Remember, “IF”its not there…im purely speculating.      Wether we like NFT or wanted it is irrelevant. It was a confirmed feature.   

What else besides value engineered removal of a controller in lower tier package will there be?    And of course we pay more for less. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2

Why do "we" think NFT in some form, will not be part of the initial rollout?

It is part of the download feature set.  Weather it is monetized at launch is a different story.

What I am talking about is:  The blockchain ties the game to the console and buyer and ( the console is tied to the controllers ) Part of the pairing people mocked.

The simple answer was we want the controller to pair to the correct console.  But it really had to, your game list is also on your controller.

(well, I would think, the controller belongs to a console, the console belongs to a user and the user has a history of game purchases etc.)

The next question should be...  Is the store ready?  I know we can search the store and select games and download those games.

But do they have payment processing in place?  I don't know if anyone has seen this functionality?

Of course, it is easy enough to plug in a credit card processor, they will handle all transactions and all PCI etc. 

Don't forget taxes.  For every location they have an office or employee, that is a nexus and state and/or local taxes must be collected.  Avalara is the only company I would recommend for this.

However, these things cost $.  At the scale I have used, it is well worth paying and not worrying about security and compliance.

They could roll their own and pay less per transaction.  But that is a tall order.  At least at the start, I would just plug in a proven product.

Edited by 1980gamer

I'd just see the NFTs as a desperate bandwagon jump at a time when crypto bros were throwing stupid money at them in the mistaken belief that they could only increase in value. Now that the boom is over and we're well and truly into the bust it's just another thing that they'll be on the hook to deliver though, and unlikely to either attract new investment or customers. Ah well, you can mint them for the price of a few cents so it's comparatively little money wasted compared to their other expenses.

What's particularly funny to me though is that it happened right when gamers started a furious backlash against the use of NFTs to the extent that pretty much all the big publishers have dropped plans for them indefinitely. That rather leaves anyone still intending to use them looking like a bit of a pariah so, er... maybe just quietly forgetting about them is actually the way to go.

Mainly though, I don't think anyone's ever offered a satisfactory explanation as to why NFTs would be useful in any video game, let alone Intellivision.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

The next question should be...  Is the store ready?  I know we can search the store and select games and download those games.

But do they have payment processing in place?  I don't know if anyone has seen this functionality?

Of course, it is easy enough to plug in a credit card processor, they will handle all transactions and all PCI etc. 

Don't forget taxes.  For every location they have an office or employee, that is a nexus and state and/or local taxes must be collected.  Avalara is the only company I would recommend for this.

However, these things cost $.  At the scale I have used, it is well worth paying and not worrying about security and compliance.

They could roll their own and pay less per transaction.  But that is a tall order.  At least at the start, I would just plug in a proven product.

Could you pleae provide the link to the Amico game store where you can search and download games.  I'm interested in seeing what is available.

5 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I'd just see the NFTs as a desperate bandwagon jump at a time when crypto bros were throwing stupid money at them in the mistaken belief that they could only increase in value. Now that the boom is over and we're well and truly into the bust it's just another thing that they'll be on the hook to deliver though, and unlikely to either attract new investment or customers. Ah well, you can mint them for the price of a few cents so it's comparatively little money wasted compared to their other expenses.

What's particularly funny to me though is that it happened right when gamers started a furious backlash against the use of NFTs to the extent that pretty much all the big publishers have dropped plans for them indefinitely. That rather leaves anyone still intending to use them looking like a bit of a pariah so, er... maybe just quietly forgetting about them is actually the way to go.

Mainly though, I don't think anyone's ever offered a satisfactory explanation as to why NFTs would be useful in any video game, let alone Intellivision.

NFT could be useful if it provides a way for users to trade/sell their games independent of the publisher.  It still remains to be seen how Amico implements it and how useful it is.

The backlash with NFT is around their use as in-game purchases or extras.  This is something Intellivision Entertainment does not allow on their system.  Using NFT as a way to manage the game license is completely different.

1 hour ago, rayik said:

Could you pleae provide the link to the Amico game store where you can search and download games.  I'm interested in seeing what is available.

The game store is integrated with the OS game browser.  They could make a general browser based interface, if they did I doubt it would be activated before system release. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

NFT could be useful if it provides a way for users to trade/sell their games independent of the publisher.  It still remains to be seen how Amico implements it and how useful it is.

In what sense could it be independent from the publisher when you've still got to download the game from their online store to play it on another machine? If the server goes down, it doesn't matter who owns the NFT, they're not getting the game.

I don't see how they could implement it otherwise. It's just a bad idea when you look at the details.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mr_me said:

They also did Blank Slate.  Were they not paid?  The company has done payment in advance of royalties type deals.

You should watch the interview. They were talking about projects having funding removed when he then went in the Amico route.

It definitely gives the impression that it is frustrating for having no money coming in.

I know we discuss customers and investors a lot here. We really don't mention how the game devs have also probably been screwed. There is no revenue incoming for all the work they've done.

22 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

You should watch the interview. They were talking about projects having funding removed when he then went in the Amico route.

It definitely gives the impression that it is frustrating for having no money coming in.

I know we discuss customers and investors a lot here. We really don't mention how the game devs have also probably been screwed. There is no revenue incoming for all the work they've done.

I did watch it, most of it.  He talked about how he has been able to support his familiy, single income with six kids, as an independent developer.  He did his Amico games in 2019 and 2020, and they were small projects compared to others.  The project he mentioned where funding was pulled was very recent to the recording of the video, June/July 2022.  The Amico, coming from a new company, is a risk for developers too.  It's why the company offers payment in advance.  In this case, his game being a packin, it might not even have any royalties.  I know developers want to see people enjoying their work, so that must be frustrating.  But saying he didn't get money or developers are getting screwed isn't correct.

Edited by mr_me

Y’all see in those documents how TT listed himself as a hall of famer with the Yankees?  You know, between that, his YouTube army, and the Ferrari parking signs, I’m starting to suspect that maybe the (former) CEO wasn’t really a good choice to run this project…

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I did watch it, most of it.  He talked about how he has been able to support his familiy, single income with six kids, as an independent developer.  He did his Amico games in 2019 and 2020, and they were small projects compared to others.  The project he mentioned where funding was pulled was very recent to the recording of the video, June/July 2022.  The Amico, coming from a new company, is a risk for developers too.  It's why the company offers payment in advance.  In this case, his game being a packin, it might not even have any royalties.  I know developers want to see people enjoying their work, so that must be frustrating.  But saying he didn't get money or developers are getting screwed isn't correct.

You ignore the two non pack in games on your assumptions.

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

In what sense could it be independent from the publisher when you've still got to download the game from their online store to play it on another machine? If the server goes down, it doesn't matter who owns the NFT, they're not getting the game.

I don't see how they could implement it otherwise. It's just a bad idea when you look at the details.

There's no reason software distribution or backups can't be independent of the publisher.  It would't run without a valid license which can also be traded independent of the publisher.  I'm not saying they are doing that but it's certainly possible.

1 minute ago, MrBeefy said:

You ignore the two non pack in games on your assumptions.

Payment in advance of royalties would apply more to the non-packin games.  I don't think they would want to pay royalties on packin games.

Edited by mr_me