IGNORED

New games that successfully capture the spirit of old ones

There have been many games in recent years which attempt to capture the spirit of older games, but of course some end up having a lasting impact more than others and I was wondering what you guys think the best ones were. I think that probably a prime example of them that I've seen are the ones published by Devolver Digital. They tend to be pretty good about delivering familiar, yet fresh action/platformer games that have enough of an energetic "pow" to them that could encourage you to keep on playing beyond the initial burst of nostalgia.

SHsnFrx.jpg

I won't just limit the thread to 80s games though, as any newer game that feels like an older one to you in general is valid.

Edited by electricmastro
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, zzip said:

Are you talking about the games with the "8-bit" pixelated style of graphics?

Many 8/16/32 bit 2D pixelated graphics games are actually decidedly modern, and would be an odd duck among actual older games. Doesn't mean they can't be fun, but retro style is more than just 2D graphics. And some games, like the New DKC ones, have a more retro feel even if the graphics are slightly more modern.

Cyber Shadow is a good example of a game that looks and feels almost exactly like a game of the past, but it's very hard as well. Games by Joymasher are also great examples of this.

I tend to prefer games like Huntdown, that probably look better than the best pixelart games on the Saturn, but it's just awesome.

I'm not very fond of games with a more stylized/modern pixelart though, such as Hyper Light Drifter or Valfaris above.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Cyber Shadow is a good example of a game that looks and feels almost exactly like a game of the past, but it's very hard as well. Games by Joymasher are also great examples of this.

I tend to prefer games like Huntdown, that probably look better than the best pixelart games on the Saturn, but it's just awesome.

I'm not very fond of games with a more stylized/modern pixelart though, such as Hyper Light Drifter or Valfaris above.

Huntdown seemed stylized to me, at least in a "colorfully futuristic Terminator" sort of way.

Edited by electricmastro

4 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Huntdown seemed stylized to me, at least in a "colorfully futuristic Terminator" sort of way.

Yes, but I meant it doesn't "cheat" with tons of transparencies and other effects like Valfaris (which also uses pre-rendered stuff I think), and characters/backgrounds are basically drawn like they were in the 90s. Hyper Light Drifter (for instance) doesn't look like game from the 90s at all, that's what I meant.

• Like 1

So this guy in the vid keeps me up to date on my classic system homebrew/hacks games because AA started having lots of subforums I don't frequent. (pretty good channel for that purpose, actually)

But sometimes, like today, he has a new game, like Exolon REDUX which captures the spirit of not just exolon, but that whole genre of super-slow action platformers that I honestly didn't care for--but I haven't seen a new one in ages, and it's time.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Teleglitch is one of my favorites.  It does not really feel like any particular old game,

Actually I feel like it's one of the few games that manages to do a classic/modern fusion really well

It's a twin stick shooter with stealth, need to conserve ammo, crafting, roguelike levels, dynamic lighting, permadeath and it's hard as hell

image.thumb.png.adab15d48947f1b2ef8c1c405fa0b39a.png

I really enjoyed playing "Infernax", which took inspiration from Zelda II and Simon's Quest.  Specifically, there are a lot of Castlevania references/homages in the game.  I liked it so much that after first completing the game, I went back for the "Ultimate Good" ending.

Shovel Knight, as Punisher5.0 mentioned is another great game that I would recommend as well.  I've played and completed "Shovel of Hope", "Plague of Shadows", and "Specter of Torment".  Reminds me that I need to get back to "King of Cards".

Infernax 1.jpg

Infernax 2.jpg

Infernax 3.jpg

On 7/5/2022 at 1:47 AM, electricmastro said:

Valfaris, which is like a darker/grittier combination of Turrican and Metroid:

Just like to mention this one hit the latest fanatical bundle (here).

it and 5 other games for $3.50, and it's 'Deck Verified.'

Haven't tried it yet, but looks solid enough, especially at that price.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Oniken and Odallus on GoG(etc) for PC does the trick, a nice 8/16bit style game you should look into if you want the whole something new, doing something old well.

Also that recently released TMNT Shredder's Revenge fits the bill, despite the modernization a little with the online mechanic to basically fake a 4P arcade cabinet in various ways, it very much does play like those 2 old arcade cabinets, the 2 and 3 on NES and the 16bit pair (SNES/Genesis) too as they really played their hand well not trying to go too far and get cute with it.

Project Warlock a FPS on GoG (has a sequel coming) has a distinct early look to it like the Wolf3D/Doom/Heretic era of gaming of that franchise and it works well, and was nicely received if you like the genre that is. :)

If you were a RARE junkie as far as N64 platformers or later era SNES side scrollers go the pair of Yooka-Laylee games stick to the format well, too well, that it can even get grating that they're so stuck in their part of the decades in the 90s it hurts if you've moved beyond that stuff, but if you haven't it more than captures the feel.

• Like 1

VVVVVV - Platformer indie darling with a retro feel, rated "Overwhelmingly Positive" on Steam

It's also available for free - the source code has been made public and is available for Debian/Retropie

http://distractionware.com/blog/2020/01/vvvvvv-is-now-open-source/

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/24552/new-port-vvvvvv

Downwell - a curious game about a young person venturing down a well in search of untold treasures with only his Gunboots to protect him

https://store.steampowered.com/app/360740/Downwell/

Papers Please - Congratulations. The October labor lottery is complete. Your name was pulled. For immediate placement, report to the Ministry of Admission at Grestin Border Checkpoint. An apartment will be provided for you and your family in East Grestin. Expect a Class-8 dwelling.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/239030/Papers_Please/

This game is available for free on Steam - You Have to Win the Game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/286100/You_Have_to_Win_the_Game/

Run, jump, and avoid deadly pitfalls as you explore the ruins of a lost world in search of hidden treasures and rare artifacts!

Experience the thrill of four-color CGA graphics and monotonic PC speaker sounds! Or take a peek at the future of home entertainment with the SIXTEEN-COLOR EGA GRAPHICS option!

LOVE - reductive platforming game with a retro aesthetic and a focus on a challenging difficulty

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269270/LOVE/

https://kuso.ge/LOVE//

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The new TMNT Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game Shredder's Revenge!

And I second Sonic Mania!

And not really a new game in 2023 but Contra IV on the original Nintendo DS captured the spirit of the old school Contra games on the NES, SNES and Sega Genesis!

Edited by Pink

• 2 weeks later...