IGNORED

Best Dos.Win 95 games

AtariYoungin

Oh man, I can't believe I (and everyone else) forgot to mention Tank Wars and Scorched Earth! These are the two best Artillery clones of all time. Scorched Earth is probably the superior game, but I always liked Tank War's more simplistic nature. Both are freely available.

Another that I just remembered is Abuse... it's a platform game with a very "Aliens" theme to it, but you have a gun and you aim with the mouse (therefor allowing you to fire in any direction while running/jumping). The game has since become open source, and I think the levels are free to download (unlike Doom and Quake where the levels are not freely available). You can get some pretty cool weapons such as a flamethrower and grenade launcher (and I think a light saber even, although I've yet to see it), and the levels have some nice puzzles in them.

--Zero

Tyrian.

thats exactly what i was going to say when i saw this topic post, you my friend earn some cookies :D such a great game, its a shame that you cant play it with sound on the newer machines

That's why I downgraded my legacy machine from a SBLive to a PCI128. Now I can get sound, though I think the SB16 emulation is a tad glitchy since it crashes occasionally(very rarely).

As soon as I quit lounging around and get me a good ISA soundcard I'll have 100% compatibility.

Another that I just remembered is Abuse... it's a platform game with a very "Aliens" theme to it, but you have a gun and you aim with the mouse (therefor allowing you to fire in any direction while running/jumping). The game has since become open source, and I think the levels are free to download (unlike Doom and Quake where the levels are not freely available). You can get some pretty cool weapons such as a flamethrower and grenade launcher (and I think a light saber even, although I've yet to see it), and the levels have some nice puzzles in them.

--Zero

Someone besides me's played that?

I liked the demo version plot better than the release version though.

It was originally a kicking the alien invader ass back to their home planet-type thing.

The release version was some garbage about an artificial virus that turned people into monsters that got turned loose in a prison. I deemed it retarded.

Another old game that wasn't as well known, called "Strife".

Based on a highly modified DOOM engine, the game featured the travelling between maps feature of Hexen with a futuristic feel in a really cool futuristic/almost medieval feel with brick walls, pubs but computers and hi-tech weapons.

As long as you didn't make a sound and alert the guards, you'll be safe. And don't just shoot everyone. You needed to talk to people to get them to open areas to access and of course, eventually you HAD to shoot a gun and when you do, enemies would warp to your vicinity. (As well as public places going into Lockup. THAT was a cool feature. Like real life. A business owner sees a madman with a gun running around shooting people, they lock their gates until the alarms turn off.)

The Demo was great and I wish I had played the full thing. It was so much cooler than DOOM at the time. Though DOOM was a straight FPS, this was more RPG/Strategy based.

I remember trying with all my might to use my DOOM editor to open the files in the WAD file. Some with no luck because of the different formats. But I was able to cheat and look at the maps.

It was the DOOM engine's last licensed game. Sadly, as mch as the creators would love to, they can't release the source due to licensing restrictions. But I pray some day they can port it like DOOM has been ported.

Read about the game here.

Pharaoh's Tomb

I used to LOVE that game!

In the late '80s, instead of getting an NES, I just bought cheap games that were available for my Tandy 1000 EX (one of Radio Shack's earliest PC-compatibles).

My other favorites were Castle Wolfenstein and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein (the REALLY old ones, not 3-D), Round 42 (a 42-wave top-down shooter somewhat like Megamania), and Digger!

All of these are really old (PC XT-era) games that either ran on DOS 3.x (not Windows 3.x...) or even booted directly from the disk and ran their own micro-OS. So they probably don't really fit in this discussion. But I wanted to share anyway... :D

Well, I love most of theold fighting games - Wolf, Duke Nukem, ROTT (i was so happy to see others mention it), Heretic, Shadow warrior.

By keeping my old computer w/ 3.11 for workgroups running I can still have my old dos based games running w/ out worrying about windows 95+ errors.Even installed a second hard drive. 8)

I could never get into quake 2 myself. Anyone else play either Jazz Jackrabbit, Mech2 or The Need for speed(1st one)?

Miniclip.com is a cute website to play on when you are bored that has simple games on it for pretty much all genres. :D

I just purchased a IBM TP 760 133mhz machine bought soley for running win98 and my older games. here are the ones installed:

Need For Speed I - good driving arcade game

Indy Car Racing II - great car racing game more realistic than NFS

3D table sports - a rare game but it has an air hockey game in it that cant be beat

The NeverHood - super puzzle/RPG game done in claymation

Descent I - we all know this one

Lords of the Realm II - great turn based and real time strategy game

Out of this world - super game from 1995 with good graphics for its time

Full Throttle - excellent RPG

Flight Unlimited - I only have the demo installed, but its enough because it has the best plane and the location is Springfield, VT - my home town!

Prince of Persia I and II - every classic gaming machine needs these

AppleWin - Apple IIe emulator

Mame 32 with selected classic games

Hasbro Atari Arcade Hits #1 - again any computer should have this installed

Xwing - great old Star Wars simulator

So there you go these are the games that should be installed, dont have one of these? I could find you a copy if need be.

Wow, so many awesome DOS games, so little time. :D I'm glad to see someone mention Abuse. I still love to fire that game up and blast away the mutant monstrosities. If you're in a military/tactical mood, Microprose's Airborne Ranger is a good bet. It's a nice blend of action and strategy. So is EA's Seal Team, which involv special forces actions in Vietnam. It can be pretty tough, but it's quite engrossing once you get into it. Just the other day, I found several Seal Team cd's at the local EB Games for $1.99 each! Staying with the warfare theme, Accolade's The Train:Escape to Normandy is a blast (literally). IF you're more in an RPG mood, Paragon Software's Twilight:2000 remains one of the best computer RPG's around. It's very challenging and involving.

Speaking of Paragon, if you dig the superhero thing, you might give The Punisher a try. It's a great game that's very true to the source material. Dr. Doom's Revenge, a fighting game starring Spider-Man and Captain America is also a hoot. Activision's Die Hard for PC is an interesting 3D action title that's very true to the movie. Just be prepared to spend some time with it, it's quite a challenge to finish.

When it came to adventure games, I really enjoyed the early entries in Sierra's Police Quest series. Being a big fan of text adventures, I also enjoyed just about anything Infocom produced. The detective games are particular favorites of mine.

Although it isn't a DOS title, an older FPS that's still worth checking out is LucasArts' Outlaws. If you like the old Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, you'll really get a kick out of it. Great fun.

Although it isn't a DOS title, an older FPS that's still worth checking out is LucasArts' Outlaws. If you like the old Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, you'll really get a kick out of it. Great fun.

Outlaws is FANTASTIC! I was always wondering what took game makers so long to do a western themed FPS, as the FPS seemed the correct platform for a western.

I'd love to see The Good, THe Bad and the Ugly turned into a FPS for one of the modern cosoles.

NAM is another one, if you play around with the engine its basicly a Duke Nukem hack.

So Doom/DukeNukem3D based engine games would be...

1. DOOM

2. DOOM 2

3. RISE OF THE TRAIDS

4. HEXEN

5. STAR WARS - DARK FORCES

6. DUKE NUKEM 3D

7. BLOOD

8. TEKWAR

9. SHADOW WARRIOR

10. NAM

11. REDNECK RAMPAGE

12. REDNECK RIDES AGAIN

Thats most I know, but there were another 2 more, wish I can remember the name of them both, these 2 were simular to Hexen.

I also onced owned a Christmas Duke Nukem 3D... :ponder:

Strife! I already mentioned it! It was the last game to use the Licensed DOOM engine. Unfortunately released when Quake was already making waves so the graphics were sorta out of date. But the game was fucking great.

I forgot all about Strife! and silly me also forgot WitchHaven or something, I wish knew the correct name so I can make my list complete.

Updated:

1. DOOM

2. DOOM 2

3. RISE OF THE TRAIDS

4. HEXEN

6. DUKE NUKEM 3D

7. BLOOD

8. TEKWAR

9. STRIFE

10. SHADOW WARRIOR

11. NAM

12. REDNECK RAMPAGE

13. REDNECK RIDES AGAIN

There at least another 2 more (Witchhaven? need to comfirm it), im also trying to get my list in the right order as when they were published. :ponder:

I just realized that almost no actual Windows games were mentioned here... everything looks to be Dos only. Well, then I guess I should mention Castle of the Winds. It's a top-down, random-dungeon-generator, kill-monsters, find-treasure-and-sell-it kind of RPG with a pretty decent interface. It's sort of a roguelike game, although it has it's share of uniqueness to it. There's also a sequel, and both of them might actually run properly on new computers (although I think CotW1 was made with Win3.1 in mind).

I also remember a little game called Jewel Thief. I honestly can't remember where I got it from... it might have been part of one of Microsoft's entertainment packs (which were also pretty fun... SkiFree was good for a laugh). You controlled a jewel thief by moving the mouse, and the window would be populated with gems (which got more precious as you got to higher levels), as well as guards who would run around randomly trying to catch you. Each level had a different background, and different types of guards. There was no end to the game, it was just another "play for high score" kind of game.

That's about the only two decent Windows-based games that I remember.

--Zero

NAM is another one, if you play around with the engine its basicly a Duke Nukem hack.

So Doom/DukeNukem3D based engine games would be...

1. DOOM

2. DOOM 2

3. RISE OF THE TRAIDS

4. HEXEN

6. DUKE NUKEM 3D

7. BLOOD

8. TEKWAR

9. SHADOW WARRIOR

10. NAM

11. REDNECK RAMPAGE

12. REDNECK RIDES AGAIN

Thats most I know, but there were another 2 more, wish I can remember the name of them both, these 2 were simular to Hexen.

I also onced owned a Christmas Duke Nukem 3D...  :ponder:

It'd be nice if you flagged which game used which engine.

Well.. as best as I can do...

1. DOOM - DOOM

2. DOOM 2 - DOOM

4. HEXEN - DOOM

6. DUKE NUKEM 3D - DUKE

9. STRIFE - DOOM

12. REDNECK RAMPAGE - DUKE

13. REDNECK RIDES AGAIN - DUKE, I think

It seens Blood used some DUKE modified engine or something.

Heres wat I know as im an ex-designer of Ken Silverman's build engine.

1. DOOM - DOOM

2. DOOM 2 - DOOM

3. RISE OF THE TRAIDS DOOM? - i think{/b]

4. HEXEN DOOM

5. STAR WARS - DARK FORCES - DOOM?

6. DUKE NUKEM 3D - DUKE NUKEM 3D

7. BLOOD - DUKE NUKEM 3D + modified

8. TEKWAR DUKE NUKEM 3d + modified

9. SHADOW WARRIOR DUKE NUKEM 3d + modified

10. NAM DUKE NUKEM 3D

11. REDNECK RAMPAGE DUKE NUKEM 3D

12. REDNECK RIDES AGAIN DUKE NUKEM 3D

Those were the days when people used 2D sprites in 3D.

It didnt fool me for long though, I noticed withever direction you would

be facing the sprite is always facing the same way.

1 rule of those was you couldnt design a real 2 storey building. (Empty floor above another empty floor). But clever map designers found a way bypass this, and so did i eventually.

;)

Well.. as best as I can do...

1. DOOM - DOOM

2. DOOM 2 - DOOM

4. HEXEN - DOOM

6. DUKE NUKEM 3D - DUKE

9. STRIFE - DOOM

12. REDNECK RAMPAGE - DUKE

13. REDNECK RIDES AGAIN - DUKE, I think

It seens Blood used some DUKE modified engine or something.

Heres wat I know as im an ex-designer of Ken Silverman's build engine.

1. DOOM - DOOM

2. DOOM 2 - DOOM

3. RISE OF THE TRAIDS DOOM? - i think

4. HEXEN DOOM

5. STAR WARS - DARK FORCES - DOOM?

6. DUKE NUKEM 3D - DUKE NUKEM 3D

7. BLOOD - DUKE NUKEM 3D + modified

8. TEKWAR DUKE NUKEM 3d + modified

9. SHADOW WARRIOR DUKE NUKEM 3d + modified

10. NAM DUKE NUKEM 3D

11. REDNECK RAMPAGE DUKE NUKEM 3D

12. REDNECK RIDES AGAIN DUKE NUKEM 3D

Those were the days when people used 2D sprites in 3D.

It didnt fool me for long though, I noticed withever direction you would

be facing the sprite is always facing the same way.

1 rule of those was you couldnt design a real 2 storey building. (Empty floor above another empty floor). But clever map designers found a way bypass this, and so did i eventually.

;)

I thought Dark Forces used it's own engine.

Im pretty sure it was more advanced than either Doom or Build.

Anyways... Heretic was Doom-based, to add a game.

I thought Dark Forces used it's own engine.

Im pretty sure it was more advanced than either Doom or Build.

Anyways... Heretic was Doom-based, to add a game.

Sorry your probably right, but its plays much like a DOOM anyway, never tried making my own maps for Dark Forces.

And thanks I forgot all about Heretic, that was like Hexen if I remember.

Just looking thur the folder, you usually can tell what engine its based on, usually they are inside a GRP file, you extracted all files, and if they have the TILESxxx.ART extenstions and .MAPs. then it definately Duke Nukem based.

Ive also got DUKE NECLEAR WINTER, another duke nukem based, but the damn is stuck in the middle of an old backup cartridge. :(