IGNORED

BubbleShooter for Atari XL/XE

Saberman

On 7/16/2022 at 7:01 PM, MrFish said:

This could have easily been an ABBUC top contender. Thanks!

If it came on 2x 130k disks yes, but since it comes on 1x 360k disk NO!

The magazine always comes on 130k disks and regarding the software contest there are these rules as well:

"2.1.2 to be submitted on a maximum of two unprotected 90KB or 130KB 5.25“ floppy disk sides or ATR-Images."

11 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

We 5200 owners would love to see some form or version of this, not everyone has the $$$ to (re) acquire an XEGS but if I HAD TO I will certainly save up the dough to get one, I had one for about a year before I ran into financial troubles and thought it was great, I've had 5200 units since my 17th birthday in May 1983 but know very well that not all XL/XE games can run on her due to Big Sexy's 16K of RAM.

For you every A8 topic needs to begin with a beg for a 5200 version, for me this needn't be!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

The magazine always comes on 130k disks and regarding the software contest there are these rules as well:

"2.1.2 to be submitted on a maximum of two unprotected 90KB or 130KB 5.25“ floppy disk sides or ATR-Images."

I was just speaking in general about the game. Obviously it would have to conform to the rules. 

2 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

if the last xBIOS with its ZX0 decompressor were used, the game would fit on 2 floppy disks

9 minutes ago, pajero_pn said:

More efficient was used - packing 36%

what method did you use? Can you send a sample compressed and uncompressed file for testing the ZX0 / ZX5 compressor?

Great game! I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to see the NTSC version.

If you don't mind, I have some suggestions that I think it could improve the experience:

- Make more difference on the tone between orange and red. Sometimes I got confused by the colors being so similar. I see that there is more contrast using the NTSC-50 color pallete.

- Do the animation launching the bubble and feeding the next one at the same time. I think it will look more agile that way.

- Add an acceleration routine while moving the aim line. That is, if you maintain moving to the left or right, it starts to speed it up, until you stop pressing left or right.

- Adjust the color pallete for NTSC-50 machines. The green looks a little blueish to my taste.

Keep going! Congratulations for this tremendous work!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 7:10 AM, BIGHMW said:

We 5200 owners would love to see some form or version of this, not everyone has the $$$ to (re) acquire an XEGS but if I HAD TO I will certainly save up the dough to get one, I had one for about a year before I ran into financial troubles and thought it was great, I've had 5200 units since my 17th birthday in May 1983 but know very well that not all XL/XE games can run on her due to Big Sexy's 16K of RAM.

the author of the game burned 100+ xegs/5200 ($ value speaking) just to code this awesome gem. 

what is your play here?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, solo/ng said:

the author of the game burned 100+ xegs/5200 ($ value speaking) just to code this awesome gem. 

what is your play here?

Same as every post per 6 or 7 days.  To get more ports to the 5200.  It won't stop until every single 10,000+ release for the A800 is also on the 5200.  Failing that, better YouTube numbers and a return call from Cindy Margolis.

• Haha 4

On 7/21/2022 at 2:17 PM, Wilheim said:

Great game! I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to see the NTSC version.

I don't have an Atari NTSC version.

What palette is correct for Altirra? Default NTSC (XL)? 

Computer video standard NTSC or NTSC-50 ?

Maybe it's just me. But I'm having a hard time with the bubble colors. I'm slightly color blinded and I would need some more solid colors. A pity - this game features such nice graphics, but the pixelated non-colors of those bubbles make it really hard for me to enjoy the game..

grafik.thumb.png.0235ed2da36acef95dc29ba9e67cd457.png

I'm sure it has a technical background to overcome some restrictions.

Anyway. Great stuff.

56 minutes ago, pajero_pn said:

I don't have an Atari NTSC version.

What palette is correct for Altirra? Default NTSC (XL)? 

Computer video standard NTSC or NTSC-50 ?

As far as tests with beta testers of my games showed me, Altirra standard palette in NTSC is almost correct. 

NTSC(-60) is correct for US based ATARIs. NTSC-50 (Hz) simulates a PAL machine with NTSC ANTIC build in. PAL-60 is more common in rl, I think. Many of the later games and demos (from 90s) are for PAL machines and thus not working on NTSC. People built in PAL ANTIC to be able to play. 

Edited by pps

12 hours ago, twh/f2 said:

Maybe it's just me. But I'm having a hard time with the bubble colors. I'm slightly color blinded and I would need some more solid colors. A pity - this game features such nice graphics, but the pixelated non-colors of those bubbles make it really hard for me to enjoy the game..

grafik.thumb.png.0235ed2da36acef95dc29ba9e67cd457.png

I'm sure it has a technical background to overcome some restrictions.

Anyway. Great stuff.

@twh/f2 I think it's down to the technique of PAL blending in order to get more colours on screen that they aren't more solid. I guess in principle you could have a slightly different pattern to each of the coloured bubbles to help distinguish them from each other - but that might be a tall order.  In the meantime I wonder if you could play around with your display's contrast and saturation to help enhance the colours?

On 7/16/2022 at 8:04 PM, Thelen said:

Very enjoyable game! Great work, thanks! And the music is great.... I know the title song...from who is that? Works perfectly fine here on Altirra with vbxe enabled.

the song is "When Love Takes Over" David Guetta Feat Kelly Rowland 

And Many thanks to the programmers of this good game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And it seemed. There will be lawsuits?

10 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@twh/f2 .....I guess in principle you could have a slightly different pattern to each of the coloured bubbles to help distinguish them from each other - but that might be a tall order.  .....

he middle parts of the bubbles are different!

Edited by pajero_pn

• 2 weeks later...

NTSC version trials

Much less time on the frame.
I had to remove the color changes. On top.
It is not enough.
At the same time, only 30% of the animation
I'm looking for a solution

uc?export=view&id=1pk5kuCBU9pXm14ggwpawa

I released PAL version 1.05 On the  www Madteam

In order not to play from the beginning - when the update comes out - just replace the file "BS_UROVN.IFA" is a save of the game !!

BubbleShooter - Full Version History
------------------------------------

v.1.05
- atr:  360kB MyDos format, try two (thanks to Pigula)
- atr:  experimentally 2x 180kB
- loader: no file - flip disc
- game: second trajectory fixes
- game: crosshair rotation - faster after a while

v.1.04 only test

v.1.03
- atr:  360kB MyDos format
- game: small trajectory corrections

v.1.02
- game: upper bubble color corrected (PAL blending)
- game: a change of some texts (thanks to JAC!)
- game: replacing illegal jumps to ROM - about NTSC system detection

v.1.01
- loader: replacing illegal jumps to ROM (works with AltirraOS)

v.1.00
- premiere at the LOST PARTY 2022 event

Edited by pajero_pn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody has discovered or announced that there are   Easter eggs   in the game, i.e. hidden from the content user.

So I will reveal the first secrets

#1 Each season has its own individual musical setting (as well as the jingle announcing the change of the season every 15 levels).
         You don't have to wait, the Ctrl+1 to Ctrl+4 keys will trigger the appropriate music

#2 There are not four songs, but ten.

The next ones are run by Ctrl+5 to Ctrl+0

Edited by pajero_pn
  • Like 8