IGNORED

Request to fix a couple of disk images

Allan

I copied a rare disk (both sides) today with a bunch of CRC errors and bad sectors with Disk Wizard II. It was from a magazine disk-serves from back in the day. They have small ads in the back of Antic. Most of the files are from magazines like Antic, Analog, Compute, etc., but there are some unique files on them. I was wondering if any one of you disk image wizards could try to recover any of them.

Active_Computer_Enterprises_Leisureware_Jan_1985..jpg

Active_Computer_Enterprises_Leisureware_Jan_1985_Side_A.atr Active_Computer_Enterprises_Leisureware_Jan_1985_Side_B.atr

• Like 1

First look at them and both are a roy-al mess with the extra cheese. Somehow what looks like to be Atari ROM character set data has overwritten the file links and while also becoming a part of the file where the file links are still intact remarkably. Boggles the mind wondering just what did happen and when/how.

Especially on these two, if you have ONE or TWO needful things off these - speak up and give them a name because this will be severe work to recover anything of any part of them. Those files will have holes in them and no way to recover what was in the hole before the shotgun went off.

Unless...

Is there any chance you can make other ATRs using a different method or program/hardware line up? It would be interesting to compare those results with these results. But I hold little hope at the moment.

• Like 1

When it comes to flaky sectors which should be good, I find using a sector editor to repeatedly read a bad sector and watching it display on screen shows me which parts of the data read consistently and which doesn't. It would behoove us all to have a sector editor with a buffer capable of storing multiple reads so we can see which bytes from various reads are likely the correct bytes and allow reconstructing the best sector to write to backup media.

Of course it helps to start with a clean read head and properly spinning drive.✔

• Like 1

Active_Computer_Enterprises_Leisureware_Jan_1985_Side_A.atr

Files that are ok now on this disk are: (these just had 1 or 2 bad bytes/nibbles in the sector links)

DOS.SYS

AUTORUN.SYS

TEXT.FNT

ED.FNT

SOON.ACE

CLASS.ACE

The other Basic programs have 1 to xx bad bytes in the code, so those need fixing.

DOUBLE.BIN has bad sectors links from sector 369 and on. Most "Next Sector Links" are 1 to 2 sectors off.

Next update will be Side B...

• Like 4

Active_Computer_Enterprises_Leisureware_Jan_1985_Side_B.atr

Repaired all bad sector links.

POPCORN.BAS had 3 sectors of junk that affected some DATA Statements of hex data. I repaired those, but lines that contain "X" in the data needs re-entry of data.

Files that now appear to be ok are:

OVERLAY1.BAS

DRUM.BAS "SYNDRUM.BAS"

BASS.BAS "BASYNTH.BAS"

AUTORUN.SYS

PULSE.ACT

PALLET.BAS

TAG.BAS

EXCHANGE.BAS "CURRCAPE.BAS"

BEEP.BAS "QUIET.BAS"

SAM.BAS "SAMHANDL.BAS"

SAM.ASM

HITLER.BAS

Files still with bad token data:

ROBOT.BAS "ROBRAID.BAS" on line 10000

OVERLAY2.BAS from 230 to 260

KOOKY'S "QUEST.BAS"

MENU.BAS
NOTES.BAS "MUSFLASH.BAS"

DOS.SYS

• Like 5

13 hours ago, invisible kid said:

This might not apply here, but when I was reading in many of my old disks, I would sometimes need to clean the drive head with rubbing alcohol in-between disks. Might be worth giving the head a fresh clean and trying again.

Yes. It's why I keep my drive cover off and plenty of q-tips and alcohol nearby. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Maybe call the phone number on the disk label and see if they can send a replacement 😉   This disk intrigues me because it has Kooky's Quest on it (co-authored by me).  KQ was published in the Feb. 1985 issue of Antic, but the date on this disk label is Jan. 1985.  Still waiting on the royalty check!

Edited by rra
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1