IGNORED

80's Arcade Games on INTV

42 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

@Rev, I wonder if this was ever released CIB?  ;)

For PONG, is it Paddle Party or 4tris?

Hmm, SNAFU is 1/4 TRON Arcade.  Deadly Discs, an advanced version of Discs Of Tron.

Brickout was released CIB

Pong:   Ultimate Pong

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

@Rev, I wonder if this was ever released CIB?  ;)

For PONG, is it Paddle Party or 4tris?

Hmm, SNAFU is 1/4 TRON Arcade.  Deadly Discs, an advanced version of Discs Of Tron.

Paddle Party is kind-off inspired by Pong, but Ultimate Pong was an actual home-brew release that ported the original Pong and added many variations.  Both were released CIB.

4-Tris is just another Tetris clone, so I wouldn't treat that as an arcade port.

And SNAFU is based on Snakes (or something like that), not TRON.  The light-cycles part of the arcade is incidentally similar, in that they both display as lines on a grid and have similar mechanics.

They were probably both inspired by the same game, but I wouldn't say that one is a port of the other.

I would imagine that for this effort, you would be interested to list actual, purposely made ports of original arcade games, and not any game that sort of, kind of looks like or could be related to something seen in an arcade.  Otherwise, where do you draw the line?

Is Beauty And The Beast a port of Donkey Kong?

Is B-17 Bomber a port of 1941?

Is Christmas Carol a port of Pac-Man? (Well, at some point in time it wanted to be ... ?)

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

Paddle Party is kind-off inspired by Pong, but Ultimate Pong was an actual home-brew release that ported the original Pong and added many variations.  Both were released CIB.

4-Tris is just another Tetris clone, so I wouldn't treat that as an arcade port.

And SNAFU is based on Snakes (or something like that), not TRON.  The light-cycles part of the arcade is incidentally similar, in that they both display as lines on a grid and have similar mechanics.

They were probably both inspired by the same game, but I wouldn't say that one is a port of the other.

I would imagine that for this effort, you would be interested to list actual, purposely made ports of original arcade games, and not any game that sort of, kind of looks like or could be related to something seen in an arcade.  Otherwise, where do you draw the line?

Is Beauty And The Beast a port of Donkey Kong?

Is B-17 Bomber a port of 1941?

Is Christmas Carol a port of Pac-Man? (Well, at some point in time it wanted to be ... ?)

dZ.

I forgot about Ultimate Pong!

4tris should be on the list.  Tetris was an arcade game.  It also has Pong hidden in it.

I was being silly with the TRON stuff.  Because I like TRON! 

Oh, Space Armada is certainly based on space invaders,  I guess you could wait for D.H. to put out Super Space Armada.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175342144249?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338590836&toolid=10044&customid=5867e185c9f21b9cf798835fb5572948

Edited by 1980gamer
Added Ebay link

8 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

I forgot about Ultimate Pong!

4tris should be on the list.  Tetris was an arcade game.  It also has Pong hidden in it.

But that's sort of what I meant before:  Tetris was a game before it was an arcade game, and there are many versions of it on many platforms -- 4tris is one of them, and the arcade was another.  I do not think 4tris is a port of the arcade version, but just another variation of the classic Tetris.

I hear they are making a board-game version of Wordle now.  Will that make all the clone apps that exist "a port of the board-game"?

See what I mean?  Where do you draw the line?

I was being silly with the TRON stuff.  Because I like TRON! 

Gotcha! :lol:

Oh, Space Armada is certainly based on space invaders,  I guess you could wait for D.H. to put out Super Space Armada.

Yes, Space Armada is Mattel's version of Space Invaders without a license.

I do not know if you got these already, but Lock N' Chase, Bump N' Jump, Loco-Motion, Mission X, and BurgerTime were all ports of arcade games too.

Right, the arcade that came after the many versions of the game that were making the rounds in many other platforms already.  An arcade version that was trying to cash-in on the already-existing Tetris craze.  :roll:

-dZ.

Just now, 1980gamer said:

@DZ-Jay Any traction on the Music Keyboard project?

You mean the Intellivision Music Tracker?  Unfortunately, no. :(

I encountered some issues with the synth effects I was trying to add, and had to come up with a different approach.  (I did eventually, but I haven't gone back.)  I'm actively working on a project, though, so there's that. :)

It's so annoying having so many projects active at once and so little time to work on any of them.  And that pesky day job keeps getting in the way!! :mad:

-dZ.

• Haha 1