IGNORED

Elite on atari vcs 2600

herlock

hello I am writing to you because I have a sir reddit scan quite some time ago a so-called rar scan of the elite games on atari vcs 2600 from 1978 I know it is a fake since the game was released first times enb1984 on ancorn bbc micro but I wonder is it possible to adapt it on atari 2600 in 2d or 3d.

here is the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ikt4r1/rare_scan_of_an_advert_for_the_original_1978/

I am also looking for a similar game in 2d or 3d for atari vcs 2600

p1ebr8xtqlk51.png

Edited by herlock
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, herlock said:

I know it is a fake since the game was released first times enb1984 on ancorn bbc micro but I wonder is it possible to adapt it on atari 2600 in 2d or 3d.

With a Harmony Encore, possibly.

11 minutes ago, herlock said:

I am also looking for a similar game in 2d or 3d for atari vcs 2600

Check out Star Raiders.  You'll need a keypad controller for it, but it's one of the games that was the direct inspiration behind Elite.

• Like 1

Over a decade ago @Thomas Jentzsch did an Elite graphics demo. Impressive display, though sluggish as unassisted 6507 is spending most of its time updating TIA to draw the screen.

It could definitely be done using a Harmony/Melody's ARM cpu as a coprocessor.  We even have a 128 pixel bitmap display kernel that could be used for it, which was figured out over a number of years in this 32 character text display topic:

@solidcorp posted his initial kernel in 2011. While legible, it had some text alignment issues - some letters are too close together (like the SC in SCOTT), and some letters are too far apart (like the TW in TWO).

Text32.png

a month later @eshu figured out a kernel that would show 32 characters without any alignment issues.

32charnew.bin.png

though it couldn't be used for a 128 pixel display as 3 copies of players on the right don't line up correct. Text in those positions are shifted 1 pixel to the left to compensate.

32charnew2.bin.png

About 5 years late @cd-w figured out a kernel where each of the 128 pixels could be controlled.

128.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

With a Harmony Encore, possibly.

Check out Star Raiders.  You'll need a keypad controller for it, but it's one of the games that was the direct inspiration behind Elite.

hello thank you but I already know star raiders but I wanted to know if there were others in homebrew which are in 2d or 3d.

• 1 year later...

Elite as a text adventure for Atari 2600.  

Ex. 1  "You arrive at the starbase.  What do you want to do?"

A.  Go to cantina.

B.  Go to the library.  

C.  Repair your ship.

D.  Buy/Sell parts for your ship.

E.  Buy/Sell cargo.

F.  Leave the space station.

Ex. 2  "Your ship is warping to star XYZ.  Scanners detect a pirate ship approaching you.

What will you do?"

A.  Ignore it.

B.  Open a communications channel and hail the ship.  

C.  Increase speed/Try to outrun it.

D.  Change course/Evasive maneuvers.   

E.  Try to hide in a nearby nebula or asteroid field.  

F.  Attack the pirate ship.

This is my serious suggestion.  In my opinion, the size of the 'sandbox' and the gameplay mechanisms of choosing an occupation, buying a ship, flying to a destination, deciding how to handle random encounters en route, deciding what to do at the next starbase, and then repeat; and periodically upgrading your ship; and possibly taking a special detour such as A) participating in a space race for prize money or B) enlisting in the galactic military for a while; and then returning to your previous occupation again.  My feeling is that the size of the Elite 'sandbox' and the Elite gameplay mechanisms could be brought to the Atari 2600 in the form of a text adventure.  Some people don't like text adventures, but people who like text adventures will point out that they let you use your imagination.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

Do you think that a totally new version will ever be released for PC's? Isn't the current version like 10 years old? I played ED for a long time but after a while the payoff for the grind just got to be to much. I was playing on a PS4 though which isn't as good as the computer version.

BTW, I also had another idea.  Totally different.

Maybe do Elite on Atari 2600 in a 2D view, kind of like the solar system map view in Gravatar.

IMG1_320x240.jpg.a680c7eab2116dfee87a2e0c2b1ad31e.jpg

Kind of like that, except the sandbox would be bigger than one screen.  Multiple screens.

Whatever the 2600 hardware would allow.  Could it be 8x8=64 screens?

There would be no 3D views.  Just this one, static 2D view.  

The stars and space stations would be spread all throughout this vast, 2D world.

When pirates would come, they would look like another little ship flying toward your ship.

The basic gameplay mechanisms would be the same as in the regular Elite. 

You would fly through this vast sandbox, going from one space station to another, delivering cargo, getting the money, improving your ship, etc.

What do you guys think of this idea of a 2D Elite for Atari 2600?

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 2