IGNORED

800 vs XL/XE -- what major chips differ?

Larry

IIRC, the cpu's are different, but are the other major IC's the same?  I'm not really referring to little tweaks, but thinking about whether they can be swapped from an XL into an 800 (or vice-versa) and have things work correctly.

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

GTIA, ANTIC, POKEY, and the PIA can all be swapped between machines.

There are some CPU boards that use 6502C Sally and some CPU boards that use 6502B for the processor.  If the 800 has a 6502C Sally board, the CPU can be swapped.

Thanks.  Exactly what I was looking for!

CTIA should be able to be dropped in.  These are pretty rare though, I'd like to get my hands on one.

Also, I'm not sure if it's been confirmed if a PAL CTIA was produced or not.

It would also be interesting to know the spread of 6502B and Sally 400/800 machines.

5200 used Sally and it was a late 1982 release so it'd be reasonable to assume the computers started using them around that time or before.

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

CTIA should be able to be dropped in.  These are pretty rare though, I'd like to get my hands on one.

Also, I'm not sure if it's been confirmed if a PAL CTIA was produced or not.

It would also be interesting to know the spread of 6502B and Sally 400/800 machines.

5200 used Sally and it was a late 1982 release so it'd be reasonable to assume the computers started using them around that time or before.

I didn't know CTIA's were considered rare. I have a couple myself I swapped out of the CPU boards of my two 800's. I wouldn't have thought anyone would care for CTIA's but I'd be happy to trade for a Pokey...

The Atari 800D had 2 MC6850 ACIAs to control the 2 serial ports on the left hand side of the developer version of the computer...

The late Curt Vendel shows off his 800D at VCF East 2019 below. The 800D starts around the 16:05 minute mark:

• 6 months later...
On 7/27/2022 at 2:34 AM, Lynxpro said:

The Atari 800D had 2 MC6850 ACIAs to control the 2 serial ports on the left hand side of the developer version of the computer...

The late Curt Vendel shows off his 800D at VCF East 2019 below. The 800D starts around the 16:05 minute mark:

We miss you Curt, remember you always,

The serial and printer port would be a great addition to incognito or some such expansion, 3d printing could handle the left side plastics.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1