IGNORED

Colecovision HSC Season 15 - Round 18 - Qbiqs

Colecovision-logo.jpg

HIGH SCORE CLUB

Season 15 Round 18

image.png.bdc2c2bdabe5bf025b91e9e01dbdb6b7.pngQbiqs for Colecovision Box Artimage.png.09d611c3433e3ef39ae1dbb2237d3122.png

Game Information

Game Name: Qbiqs

Released by: Original Release: Z80ST Software 2010CV: Team Pixelboy/Fernando Lopez Ostenero 2019.

Settings: Start on first level.

CV HSC High Score: First time playing Qbiqs in the CV HSC..

This game was chosen by Ikrananka.                                                                  

Qbiqs Bonus Points: Play the game & post a score= +3

Score 1,000= +2, Score 5,000= +3, Score 15,000= +4, Score 30,000= +5, Score 60,000= +7, 

Score 120,000= +10, Score 200,000 & up= +12                                                          

Break or set a new CV HSC High Score= +10

Round Ends: Sunday August 7th at 8pm (PST) 11pm (EST)

Everyone who posts a score throughout the season will be entered into a drawing at seasons end for a special prize!

The same rules and scoring system that have been used the past few seasons will be in play this season as well. Season 15 rules: http://atariage.com/...1-cv-hsc-rules/

our-vision.JPG

Good Luck!

Final Qbiqs Scores

1)58,870 Ikrananka +3 +5 +10 Record Setter :-o

2)52,940 DuggerVideoGames +3 +5

3)19,580 OriginalJohn +3 +4 

4)16,450 Krytol +3 +4

5)13,390 zaphro72 +3 +3

6)11,770 Colecovision +3 +3

7)  7,490 fakecortex +3 +3

8) 6,360 ed1475 +3 +3

9)  5,720 chuckwalla  +3 +3

10)     480 jblenkle  +3

Round 18 Totals - Including Bonus Points

1){118} Ikrananka

2) {98}  DuggerVideoGames

3) {40}  OriginalJohn

4) {35}  Krytol

5) {29}  zaphro72

6) {26}  Colecovision

7) {19}  fakecortex

8)  {17}  ed1475

9) {16}  chuckwalla

10)  {6}   jblenkle

Season Standings - After 18  Rounds

1)1597 DuggerVideoGames

2)1181 Ikrananka

3)  906 Northcoastgamer

4)  718 Colecovision

5)  559 ed1475

6)  552 jblenkle

7)  515 zaphro72

8)   411 JEFF31 

9)  358 fakecortex

10)  245 testa

11)  219 chuckwalla

12)  201 Krytol

13)  120 Serguei2

14)    98 patbb

15)    87 OriginalJohn

16)    80 mark griff

17)    75 xdurable

18)    27 timepilot

19)    16 roadrunner

20)     8  jetset

qbiqs-2019.rom

Edited by Northcoastgamer
Final Score Update

Seeing as there isn't a manual available online for the game I thought I'd post some relevant details from the physical manual that I have:

Control

During the game, you can move your ship left and right and you can shoot cubes by pressing the fire button.  Press the joystick up to increase the speed of incoming QBIQS or press down to slow their approach.

How to Play

Your ship can shoot cubes up the screen.  These cubes will merge with the clumps of QBIQS when they make contact, making the clumps bigger.  Your constant objective is to aim your cubes in order to form perfect rectangular shapes.  When a rectangle of QBIQS is fully formed, it is automatically removed and you score points.

The game is separated into levels.  Clear a level of all its QBIQS and you move onto the next level automatically.  There are 10 levels to complete.

COMBOS

Encasing multiple QBIQS into a single rectangle will increase your combo meter as well as give you bonus points.  Combos allow you to decelerate the QBIQS speed if you press the joystick down.  The combo counter will decrease if you hold down the joystick for a while.  Once your combo meter drops to zero, QBIQS will resume approaching at normal speed.

Scoring

Each disappearing block within a rectangle = 10 points

If you make a combo, the 10 points are multiplied by the number of pieces combined.  For instance, a 4-piece combo means each disappearing block is worth 40 points.

Each hole inside a completed rectangle is worth 100 extra points, no matter ho many pieces are included in the rectangle.

Tips and Hints

The "level" indicator shows your progress in the current level.  Each level has 11 zones labelled 0 to A.  Once you pass zone A, you finish the level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

For emulation on a mac, any suggestions for playing super game module games? I have Open Emu and Mugrat, but no dice.

CoolCV supports the SGM and works on Mac, Linux, WIndows and Raspberry.  Just drag and drop the rom file onto the emulator screen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

CoolCV supports the SGM and works on Mac, Linux, WIndows and Raspberry.  Just drag and drop the rom file onto the emulator screen.

Much appreciated!

This is a neat game. Once you stop yourself from accidentally shooting too much, you get into a pretty good groove. Then again, sometimes you start with some really hard blocks to eliminate. 

qbiqs-7490.thumb.png.1595d5835c08ced01681f442245fe985.png

• Like 2

Just now, fakecortex said:

This is a neat game. Once you stop yourself from accidentally shooting too much, you get into a pretty good groove. Then again, sometimes you start with some really hard blocks to eliminate. 

Yeah, and it can be incredibly annoying when you shoot once (or more) too many leaving you with a whole load more shots to have to take to then complete the larger rectangle you've forced upon yourself.  But like all good games, this is a problem caused by the player and not the game.

I'm actually loving this game so far.  The concept, gameplay, graphics and music are all top notch.  It's also got the classic risk reward feature with the build-up and use of combos.

TIP - for high scores it's really important to try and recognise combo opportunities and complete larger combo rectangles.  The patterns coming down don't always offer combo building opportunities, but when they do you need to try and complete them if you can.

• Like 2

12,210 pts.  There were moments where I swore the shapes should have cleared, but didn't clear.  Unless I'm mistaken, it is my understanding that the a 2x2 arrangement should clear itself.  Kept the browser open to keep coming back here and read Ikrananka's tips in between games.  Imagine my momentary panic when I finally - and unknowingly - cleared the first level and saw blocks coming down at very fast speeds, only to see it was blocks spelling out that the level was cleared.  Haha

Qbiqs 12,210 pts.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DuggerVideoGames said:

There were moments where I swore the shapes should have cleared, but didn't clear.

There were times when I was unsure why blocks were not clearing but when I paused the game and had a good look I managed to figure out why.  There is a clear logic behind it but it can take a bit to wrap ones head around it for the more complex combinations.

Unless I'm mistaken, it is my understanding that the a 2x2 arrangement should clear itself.

Yes, if there is a horizontal rectangular block made up of two smaller blocks then firing an additional block below each of the two to create a 2x2 square will result in it being cleared.  I've never seen it not clear.

Imagine my momentary panic when I finally - and unknowingly - cleared the first level and saw blocks coming down at very fast speeds, only to see it was blocks spelling out that the level was cleared.  Haha

? Same thing happened to me !!!

• Like 2

Somehow I've managed to find a certain groove with this game despite my initial impressions that I'd never get any better.  I have to say that I think this is an astoundingly good game and one I'm thoroughly enjoying playing.  Hoping some other may feel the same.

image002.thumb.png.e6fe61241a7ae952888359ef305ee3a2.png

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Somehow I've managed to find a certain groove with this game despite my initial impressions that I'd never get any better.  I have to say that I think this is an astoundingly good game and one I'm thoroughly enjoying playing.  Hoping some other may feel the same.

image002.thumb.png.e6fe61241a7ae952888359ef305ee3a2.png

I agree, and I'm digging this game.  Only thing annoying me is those few moments where I feel like I'm doing great and I'm about to clear a shape, only it doesn't clear.  Let me put it this way:  it's like rows B and D clear, but rows A and C did not (and I could've sworn they were supposed to, as well).  Then wham, game over.  Ha.  90% of the time, it seems like I have the right read on things.

• Like 1