IGNORED

The gaming advertising thread

We should have a thread dedicated to advertising of our beloved classic games, computers, consoles, etc.  We can share television commercials, print ads, circulars, etc.

I'll start us off with this Commodore 64 television commercial.

I remember seeing this commercial on television that touted how amazing of a gaming machine the Commodore 64 was.

Of course, if those kids came knocking down the door at my house, I'd call the cops.  :D  

Welcome to 1985/86 -- before things really had any set idea of direction still.  Will you be the one to experience this? (It's the launch window ad, doesn't say deluxe set yet.)

Also has a few follow ups too (30sec spots) from the same period/black box only stuff.

Here's a spread of 21 Classic ads of theirs and even some rare to see third party spots all NES based so 1985-91.

But if you have too much free time, here's a 36min blowout of 75 ads

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I love these comic book ads from Parker Brothers for Qbert, Popeye, etc.  They'd show screenshots of the various conversions of the game for the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Colecovision, etc.

I actually ran down to my local store to ask for these games...the staff looked at me weird.  :D 

Q-Bert ad.jpg

• Like 1

The ads, both television & print, boasting Intellivision's superiority to Atari was right on - rather than tell, George Plimpton actually gave a side-by-side comparison of the two systems.

Now that's what a video game ad should be.  Don't tell me your product is better than the competition - SHOW ME!!

Video Game History.gif

Found this right now on Pinterest - it's an ad for Toys R Us touting all their video games available.  I'm guessing this is from the late 1980s.

Look at all those video games!  It's not just Nintendo Entertainment System titles - there's also Sega Master System, Atari 2600, Atari 7800 and Atari XE titles too!

Classic Video Game Advertising.jpg

• Like 2

Dr. Jerry Carroll, radio DJ, pitches video games in this 1981 commercial for Crazy Eddie's.

I'll have to explain this more; I grew up with these commercials in the New York City metro area.  Crazy Eddie was an electronics chain founded in 1971 in New York City by Sam and Eddie Antar.  They had many commercials, both radio and television, performed by WPIX-FM radio DJ Dr. Jerry Carroll who emphasized the main selling point of Crazy Eddie - his prices are insane!

Crazy Eddie boasted having the lowest prices and would beat competitor prices.  Sadly, this led to the chain's downfall.  Part of it was due to Eddie Antar's criminal activity (Wikipedia has more details here: Crazy Eddie - Wikipedia).  But a lot of it was due to cutting prices; Crazy Eddie and one of its competitors Newmark & Lewis cut prices so much that they had small profit margins on their electronics.  Crazy Eddie went out of business in 1989 and was liquidated.

And now the TV commercial of the above Mario Bros comic book ad.

It's hilarious that this is touted as Mario Bros from ATARI - nowadays, they are known to be Nintendo character for certain.

I still love this game even though it is before the brothers having super mushrooms, fire flowers and stars.

• Like 1

That ad I still remember because it was just catchy.  Atari got away with it because of that agreement that ate it thankfully, much like how Philips got away with 2 decent and 1 god awful Zelda game and the pretty nice hotel mario too despite Nintendo wanting no hand in it at all.

Also a rare case where Luigi in a way got top billing, check the hat. :D

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

One of my favorite games ever, and I loved how the ad showed the character as just some pudgy balding dude. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bf92e7420a026ac8fe4bce558746d88a.jpeg

I actually bought the game because of that ad!   I think it's because it took the time to explain the game and made me want to play it.

Most game ads of that era made some bold but vague claim that took up half the page, and then at most have tiny blurbs about the game and/or a screenshot if you were lucky.    I bought some of the games mentioned in the ads below, but it was in spite of the ad, not because of it.

AHad.png

infocomAD.png

pnguinad.png

DatamostAD.png

• Like 2