IGNORED

Help needed with Atarivox+

RaymanC

Hello friends !!

I have been trying to connect an Atarivox+ to my computer and use it with Stella but so far it doesn't work. The Atarivox+ has been tested with my Atari 2600 and it works fine.

I have tried connecting the Atarivox+ to the serial port COM1 of the computer with no luck. Also I have used an USB to DB9 cable to connect the Atarivox+ to my computer but nothing works.

Any ideas !!!

My computer has Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and I'm using Stella 6.7 64 bits.

Carlos

1 hour ago, RaymanC said:

I have tried connecting the Atarivox+ to the serial port COM1 of the computer with no luck.

A PC serial port and an Atari controller port use the same connector, but other than that there are no similarities. They're meant for completely different signals and the pinout doesn't match. Plugging an Atari controller/peripheral into a serial port will never work and is potentially dangerous for the devices. Don't do that!

1 hour ago, RaymanC said:

Also I have used an USB to DB9 cable to connect the Atarivox+ to my computer

What kind of adapter exactly? DB9 is just the shape of the connector (DE9 is the correct name for it, actually).

If it's a USB to serial adapter, then you fall into the same situation as above, if it's an Atari joystick to USB adapter, it won't work with the AtariVox unless it has been specifically designed to do so.

The 2600-daptor II can be used with an AtariVox, when it's flashed with a special firmware. You have to revert to the standard firmware to use it again with Atari controllers, it doesn't do both at the same time.

There also was an AtariVox to USB interface made by Richard Hutchinson, but I think they're not available anymore.

Finally, if you can solder I remember that a few schematics to build DIY adapters (to connect to either a serial port or USB) were posted on the forum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
18 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I have speakers with an ipod dock and an audio in jack but no headphone jack, plus a blue tooth speaker with a headphone jack.  Neither of them seem to work with my new Atarivox so I guess I’m going to have to buy some pc speakers.

That bluetooth speaker should work fine. Where are you connecting your Atarivox? What games are you testing it with?

53 minutes ago, RaymanC said:

That bluetooth speaker should work fine. Where are you connecting your Atarivox? What games are you testing it with?

5B84419F-C25D-4688-A125-5C45AEDC3783.thumb.jpeg.dd920c03217b9ebe9cf9a6322f053799.jpeg

This is the Bluetooth speaker and the cable.  I’ve since turned the volume down on the Atarivox and tested it on the iPod dock speakers.  I didn’t get as many lines on the screen but the digitized voices come out of the tv and not the speaker.  I haven’t tried the Bluetooth speaker again.  I thought that was the one that was least likely to work.  As you can see on the video, I tried Wizard of Wor.  Also tried Juno First.  Same problem.  Perhaps I’ll try again with the Bluetooth speaker but I thought the same thing happened in that the voices came out of the tv and not the speaker.  I have the Atarivox plugged into joystick port 2 as per instructions and the cable running from the back of that into the one and only Jack on either speaker system.  Now I really must focus on cooking dinner.  Doing this and chicken with zucchini and pasta in white wine is just too much.  Later.

Aaaaactually, you can’t see it’s Wizards of Wor from the video.  Will definitely check the Bluetooth speaker again now I’ve turned down the Atarivox volume unless I hear from you first that no, that particular speaker or my cable is no good.  Cheers.

Edited by insertclevernamehere

So I connected the Bluetooth speaker again like so.  The digitized voices are still coming out of the tv and NOT the speaker.  Nothing comes out of the speaker.  It also still has white line interference on the tv screen every time there’s digitized speech.  Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a proper pc speaker but if I’ve been told the Bluetooth speaker should work, I’m worried it’s a problem elsewhere and I’d just be wasting my money buying more speakers.  I don’t understand why with either speaker connected, the digitized voices come out of the tv and not the speaker.

66D4BC19-94D4-4B37-A1B9-019B9EF815A8.thumb.jpeg.ff3960440fbd6ce16fb250d0595a5c04.jpeg

17 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

The digitized voices are still coming out of the tv and NOT the speaker.

Are you sure that the digitized voices are coming out of the tv?? 

Can you verify if your games can produce digitized voices without an Atarivox?

Where is the audio cable that comes out of the Atarivox connected to?

On 2/25/2023 at 2:47 PM, RaymanC said:

Are you sure that the digitized voices are coming out of the tv?? 

Can you verify if your games can produce digitized voices without an Atarivox?

Where is the audio cable that comes out of the Atarivox connected to?

Yes, I am sure.  They are DEFINITELY coming out of the tv and not the speaker.

No, Juno First and Wizard of Wor cannot produce digitized voices without an Atarivox.  Nor do they produce any digitized voices with the AtariVox plugged in UNLESS the AtariVox is also plugged into the speaker.  BUT the digitized voices come out of the tv and NOT the speaker.

The audio cable is plugged in the back of the AtariVox and the back of the speaker.