IGNORED

800 memory expansions?

Larry

I recently acquired a very nice 800 with 48K (16+32).  The 800 was my first computer back in 1982.  I would like to get an expansion card for it that would add at least 256K and Axlon compatibility.  Hopefully it would replace the current 32K card.  512K would be OK, but no Incognito for this 800.  Are any cards like this currently available?  Preferably it would use a modern SRAM IC.  Any recommendations?

7 hours ago, Larry said:

I recently acquired a very nice 800 with 48K (16+32).  The 800 was my first computer back in 1982.  I would like to get an expansion card for it that would add at least 256K and Axlon compatibility.  Hopefully it would replace the current 32K card.  512K would be OK, but no Incognito for this 800.  Are any cards like this currently available?  Preferably it would use a modern SRAM IC.  Any recommendations?

@reifsnyderb sells an Axlon compatible 1056K board for the 800 on Tindie. Here is the link. If you have any questions about the product, I am sure he would be able to answer them for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Panos board looks very interesting, especially if the MyIDE works well!  But can additional OS be added in the usual way -- using for instance a 27512 type and then using switches?  BITD I had an Omnimon mod, and remember that it had a switch to chose between the regular OSA or B and Omnimon.  But I don't remember if other mods were required to install the Omnimon.

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Panos board looks very interesting, especially if the MyIDE works well!  But can additional OS be added in the usual way -- using for instance a 27512 type and then using switches?  BITD I had an Omnimon mod, and remember that it had a switch to chose between the regular OSA or B and Omnimon.  But I don't remember if other mods were required to install the Omnimon.

The mod uses an AT29020 flash, much easier than uses EPROMs, and you can load whatever you want in the first half of it.  Switching is accomplished through software, but unfortunately the ability to launch the config tool from the flash memory did not work out in this version, so you need to load the config utility manually.  This mod does not require any modifications to the Atari, and this includes not installing switches.

• Thanks 1

I checked, and Panos still had one available, so I bought it.  It sounds really nice!  I'm most intrigued by the MyIDE.  I think I had a version 3.1 internal many years ago when the interfaces were being produced by Metalguy66.  Yes, love the idea that I will not have to disassemble the 800 and solder.

• Like 1