IGNORED

How do I tell if my Super Pro system has the Tutorvision ROM in it?

rietveld

1 hour ago, rietveld said:

How can I tell? 

Fire the system up and if you see the character font look like below, it's a  TudorPro system...

20181208-093844.jpg

Flip the console over and if you can see through the back vents and are able to detect some jumper labels, it's a TudorPro system...

Super Pro Tutorvision 8800 (5).jpg

Super Pro Tutorvision 8800 (8).jpg

1 hour ago, rietveld said:

What advantage is there to it if it does?

Lots of folks here saying...

gy9ed.jpg

• Like 4

While the rounded font and updated titlescreen will tell you that it has the same grom as a tutorvision it doesn't tell you about the exec.  Similarly, looking at the circuit board through the vent will tell you it has a tutorvision board but not necessarily the exec rom.

If you have a flash cartridge you can run a tutorvision game to see if it works.  Or run csumexec to check rom checksums.  A tutorvision exec shows a checksum of "43c145e1" at range $2000-$2fff.

You can also open it up and look at the exec rom chip.  A tutorvision exec rom will be marked "RO9580/P587".

Edited by mr_me

The only advantage to having the exec rom is that it can play Tutorvision cartridges, but they are so rare you might not ever get one.  The extra exec rom can be added through the cartridge port so it is still possible to play tutorvision cartridges.  A couple of tutorvision cartridge roms were modified to include the missing exec portion and runs on these systems missing the expanded exec chip.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 8:38 PM, the1hatman said:

Fire the system up and if you see the character font look like below, it's a  TudorPro system...

20181208-093844.jpg

Flip the console over and if you can see through the back vents and are able to detect some jumper labels, it's a TudorPro system...

Super Pro Tutorvision 8800 (5).jpg

Super Pro Tutorvision 8800 (8).jpg

Lots of folks here saying...

gy9ed.jpg

The Tutorpro is also noticeably lighter in weight due to lack of metal shielding around the board.

20220419_173827.jpg

On 8/10/2022 at 6:19 AM, mr_me said:

While the rounded font and updated titlescreen will tell you that it has the same grom as a tutorvision it doesn't tell you about the exec.  Similarly, looking at the circuit board through the vent will tell you it has a tutorvision board but not necessarily the exec rom.

If you have a flash cartridge you can run a tutorvision game to see if it works.  Or run csumexec to check rom checksums.  A tutorvision exec shows a checksum of "43c145e1" at range $2000-$2fff.

You can also open it up and look at the exec rom chip.  A tutorvision exec rom will be marked "RO9580/P587".

A while back, I snagged a Super Pro System from a local person on marketplace.  I had a hunch from the pics that it looked like a possible Tutorvision.  It’s sat for a while as I’ve had other priorities but today I got around to checking it out.  Looking in the bottom vent, you can see a large capacitor at the bottom and jumper switches.   After a bit of a cleaning to the cart slot, I got it working and the title screen confirmed the grom.  

I don’t have a flash cart so I opened it up to check the exec rom.   If I’m looking at things correctly I found the  "RO9580/P587" on the exec chip.  Here’s a pic from inside.   Can one of you more knowledgeable take a look to confirm?   Unfortunately looks like the pic lost some resolution, but I’m seeing the  "RO9580/P587" on the bottom left chip. 

D65CFD19-0DC6-4DF5-8486-903A8BD82CBE.thumb.jpeg.67047fa8f5da7a6c59de7d3015d40522.jpeg

2 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

I don’t have a flash cart so I opened it up to check the exec rom.   If I’m looking at things correctly I found the  "RO9580/P587" on the exec chip.  Here’s a pic from inside.   Can one of you more knowledgeable take a look to confirm?   Unfortunately looks like the pic lost some resolution, but I’m seeing the  "RO9580/P587" on the bottom left chip. 

The first image is fine, and yes it's an expanded Tutorvision rom.

I've attached the csumexec rom file, should anyone need it.  It's sourced from jzintv and covered by its licensing (http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/).

csumexec.zip

On 8/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, mr_me said:

The only advantage to having the exec rom is that it can play Tutorvision cartridges, but they are so rare you might not ever get one.  The extra exec rom can be added through the cartridge port so it is still possible to play tutorvision cartridges.  A couple of tutorvision cartridge roms were modified to include the missing exec portion and runs on these systems missing the expanded exec chip.

If you also have an LTO Flash, you could try running Little Man Computer, which requires the full GRAM.  I wrote it to avoid the $2xxx address range, so it should run on all Tutor Pro systems, with or without REX.