IGNORED

Super Pro Space Invaders

1980gamer

Hello all,

Just want to thank @Revfor pointing out the release of some new roms over at @intvdave site, intellivision.us

I grabbed the 3, I was missing.  I have played the first one today.  SP Space Invaders. 

Way back when, I could not wait to get Space Armada.  Yes, I played it a bit but never loved the game.  Disappointed actually.

Maybe I stunk at the game and that is why I didn't get to higher levels?  I remember the guided missile and the invisible invaders.

But never thought the game was that fun.

Played SP Space Invaders this morning.  

WOW, This is really not a graphical change to Armada.  It is a new game! Seems so much more responsive and quick.

So, just to try it out, I played an easy level with 4x4 invaders.  ( you can select rows of 4 to 8 invaders as well as columns of 4 to 8 as well )

With the smaller grid, you can progress through the levels pretty quickly.

This has made playing a lot more enjoyable.

Also, the difficulty ramps really nicely.

Maybe some of the "new" enemy weapons and attacks existed in Armada, I never saw them ( again, I stunk at it )

But I am betting these are new treats from David.

I don't want to describe what goes on.  No spoilers.  But I will say, I was shocked and impressed.

Go check them out.  I am looking forward to trying the other 2 games later today.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have been enjoying it as well. I have been trying out various combinations of options to see which one provides a nice challenge without being too difficult.  I'd be interested to hear what combinations others are using. So far I like:

- Beginner / Slow / 8x4 -> Basically default Space Armada. It's easy to clear 10+ waves before it becomes difficult.

- Super Pro / Fast / 4x4 -> Max speed with minimum Invaders isn't too difficult at but is fun and you complete levels quickly.

Has anyone cleared a single screen of Super Pro / Fast / 8x8?  I only tried a couple times, but it's tough!

• Like 2

I'm a BIG fan of Space Armada. Had it as a kid and have loved it ever since. Yes you are correct, getting to the higher levels makes Space Armada much more fun. There are two all invisible levels that are next to impossible to get through if you don't stick with the game. I have a system that I used to conquer these two levels and now I get through them probably 95% of the time. For me the game starts when the red saucer descends to wipe out the barriers, this is where the BIG points come from. If you can continually shoot that thing you can score BIG. 

I would love to try out the SP Space Invaders / Space Armada. I'm hoping this is in cartridge format to buy because I have issues trying to put roms on my LTO Flash. I have Windows 10 on my laptop so I have had all kinds of trouble getting the laptop to recognize my LTO Flash software. I actually had to have someone else load all my games for me on my LTO Flash cuz doing myself was not working. 🙄

Please provide a link to this new game. Sounds awesome. Can't wait to play it. 

Cheers!!! 🍺

10 minutes ago, mthompson said:

You can purchase the ROM now at http://intellivision.us/roms.php. I think a boxed version is a possibility.

image.thumb.png.3150e73db503c69d23b5bb6f2ccca827.png

Thanks, the site is blocked by my companies firewall.... 🤬 I will have to check it out at home later....

Does this game throw new weapons at you like Space Armada does or is it just the same every screen like Space Invaders? 🤷‍♂️

I will try to get the boxed version if available, if it's not I will find a way to make the ROM work with my bad setup..... 👍

Edited by Rickster8
Added a little more text.

I hope you guys all download and enjoy SP Space Invaders.  I helped David with beta testing countless versions of it.  He did a fantastic job on it and it was a well needed upgrade.  The original Space Armada was a good game, but like many others have said, I was always disappointed with it as well.  Something about the scaling, the look, sounds.. etc just didn't grab the over-all look of the original.

David nailed this new version with all kinds of twists from the original game in it as well.  It's good to see it finally come out for all to enjoy as I was hoping one day he would publish it.

As for a box?   In respect and appreciation to him that he asked me to beta test for him, I made this box art for him months ago. I don't care if it doesn't get used, whatever license issues on it might exist. I just thought he did such a great job on the game that it deserved a true throwback boxart to the original game.  It's a combination of Space Invaders II and Space Invaders Deluxe arcade monitor bezels.

Spce_Invaders.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/14/2022 at 1:31 PM, 1980gamer said:

Hello all,

Just want to thank @Revfor pointing out the release of some new roms over at @intvdave site, intellivision.us

I grabbed the 3, I was missing.  I have played the first one today.  SP Space Invaders. 

Way back when, I could not wait to get Space Armada.  Yes, I played it a bit but never loved the game.  Disappointed actually.

Maybe I stunk at the game and that is why I didn't get to higher levels?  I remember the guided missile and the invisible invaders.

But never thought the game was that fun.

Played SP Space Invaders this morning.  

WOW, This is really not a graphical change to Armada.  It is a new game! Seems so much more responsive and quick.

So, just to try it out, I played an easy level with 4x4 invaders.  ( you can select rows of 4 to 8 invaders as well as columns of 4 to 8 as well )

With the smaller grid, you can progress through the levels pretty quickly.

This has made playing a lot more enjoyable.

Also, the difficulty ramps really nicely.

Maybe some of the "new" enemy weapons and attacks existed in Armada, I never saw them ( again, I stunk at it )

But I am betting these are new treats from David.

I don't want to describe what goes on.  No spoilers.  But I will say, I was shocked and impressed.

Go check them out.  I am looking forward to trying the other 2 games later today.

Thanks!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

I hope you guys all download and enjoy SP Space Invaders.  I helped David with beta testing countless versions of it.  He did a fantastic job on it and it was a well needed upgrade.  The original Space Armada was a good game, but like many others have said, I was always disappointed with it as well.  Something about the scaling, the look, sounds.. etc just didn't grab the over-all look of the original.

David nailed this new version with all kinds of twists from the original game in it as well.  It's good to see it finally come out for all to enjoy as I was hoping one day he would publish it.

As for a box?   In respect and appreciation to him that he asked me to beta test for him, I made this box art for him months ago. I don't care if it doesn't get used, whatever license issues on it might exist. I just thought he did such a great job on the game that it deserved a true throwback boxart to the original game.  It's a combination of Space Invaders II and Space Invaders Deluxe arcade monitor bezels.

Spce_Invaders.jpg

That looks pretty good, almost as good as the final version. 😃

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IMBerzerk said:

Spce_Invaders.jpg

I like this version better. Really good work. Much more colorful... except i think it would look better without the line around the Armada and blending the stars in instead. Just my opinion.. but looks awsome.

• Thanks 1

Yes I will buy a CIB copy too. Can't wait to play it, BIG BIG Space Armada fan here. Me, my brother and my Father used to all play it back in the early 80's. We had competitions. My brother was probably 10 or 11 and he made up funny names for all the different warlords and bombs. Even the Red Saucer had a funny name.... 🤣

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

I like this version better. Really good work. Much more colorful... except i think it would look better without the line around the Armada and blending the stars in instead. Just my opinion.. but looks awsome.

I chose to make it look like the arcade monitor bezels the artwork came from.  There is a tremendous amount of custom changes in it around the middle and top. 

I just felt the game is a great and respectful throwback to the original arcade version and instead of beating around the bush, I went for the full on arcade look.

When he was designing the aliens, I kept begging him to use the "Missle Head" alien.  Not only did he do that, he sized the other 2 original style sprites to fit the Intv scaling perfectly.  Adding in the one original Space Armada alien just looks great. 

When I first saw Space Armada on my friends Inty, and having played Space Invaders on another friends 2600, I was pissed at the quality of Space Armada.  I never understood why the scaling of the aliens needed to be so big, compared to what it was supposed to look like.  As crappy as the 2600 looked, it just played better and looked right compared to our Intellivision design.

Not any more. If you're a fan of this classic arcade game, get this one.  It's a blast with all the added in Space Armada tweaks as well.  I played it for hours, and still do.

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind post. I hope you all enjoy the game be it on ROM or CIB (should be soon.. come on Rev!!!)

@IMBerzerk, sorry we did not use your artwork.

I understand I am going off topic but I did not care to start a new thread. Just wanted to chat with those interested in my games.

I just completed another project; converting "all" the ECS games to be playable by controller only. This has been in the making for 5 years. The games are: Mind Strike, Scooby Doo, Super NFL Football, and Super Series Baseball (a.k.a. World Series). All but football have been updated beyond controller only. Attached is the manual I put together. They still require the ECS.

Mind Strike and Scooby were slow to me: fixed. Scooby could now be considered a Super Pro game. It is very fast now and, to me, plays much better (which is always my goal).

The game that started this project is World Series. This game was described as a simulation. No longer! I find it fun to play with the updates. To me, it is the cream of this crop. Mind Strike is second. If you every tried Scooby, you have to give this version a try.

I will be making available a custom version of baseball with your name in the line up if requested.

My goal is to have this available shortly then I will start releasing more games that have been completed but not released. I need to get my website updated with more videos.

And then, I will start working on

ECS_Bundle_Manual.pdf

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

32 minutes ago, intvdave said:

Thanks for all the kind post. I hope you all enjoy the game be it on ROM or CIB (should be soon.. come on Rev!!!)

I understand I am going off topic but I did not care to start a new thread. Just wanted to chat with those interested in my games.

I just completed another project; converting "all" the ECS games to be playable by controller only. This has been in the making for 5 years. The games are: Mind Strike, Scooby Doo, Super NFL Football, and Super Series Baseball (a.k.a. World Series). All but football have been updated beyond controller only. Attached is the manual I put together. They still require the ECS.

Mind Strike and Scooby were slow to me: fixed. Scooby could now be considered a Super Pro game. It is very fast now and, to me, plays much better (which is always my goal).

The game that started this project is World Series. This game was described as a simulation. No longer! I find it fun to play with the updates. To me, it is the cream of this crop. Mind Strike is second. If you every tried Scooby, you have to give this version a try.

I will be making available a custom version of baseball with your name in the line up if requested.

My goal is to have this available shortly then I will start releasing more games that have been completed but not released. I need to get my website updated with more videos.

ECS_Bundle_Manual.pdf 169.44 kB · 1 download

Wow. That sounds great. A custom version of baseball that's more playable is right up my alley. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, intvdave said:

ECS_Bundle_Manual.pdf 169.44 kB · 6 downloads

Soon everyone! Working on getting previous orders out. 🤓

62CD029C-E342-47ED-9465-AE3919A287C7.jpeg

Edited by Rev
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1