IGNORED

Mattel Intellivision Fuzzy Image

Patrick1123

Recently I  have received a Mattel Intellivision from one of my parents friends, who kept the boxes and manuals to every single game. I running into a fuzzy image, even when I clean the cartridge slot I still have to fettle with it to work. Some games work fine, while others are completely unplayable even when they do work. From my research so far it may be a chip issue or bad capacitor. I also don't have the best soldering skills. I am using a hdtv, but I do not think that would matter because I have Atari 2600 and its image is crystal clear. Could anyone link me to a repair service that I can send my system to. I would really appreciate it.

10 minutes ago, Patrick1123 said:

I am using a hdtv, but I do not think that would matter because I have Atari 2600 and its image is crystal clear.

Intellivisions are much fussier about getting a good picture than Atari. Are you running straight to the HDTV or through another device? And if yes, what is your set-up?

It is possible that your INTV needs a good cleaning and needs some parts, but it would first be best to know the set-up you are using. Also, you can try other channel to see if same results.

Usually to make an INTV work with a HDTV, they need a Mod Kit installed, or be run through a VCR, DVR, or anything with an analog Coax input and Composite output to run to HDTV.

Also, click follow topic so you will know when anyone replies to it. You'll get an e-mail notification then.

What are you using for an AV cable?  It should be RF shielded.  A regular composite video cable can have interference.  Are you using a switchbox or direct to the TV RF input.

Cartridges not working is a separate issue.  Can you give examples of cartridges that work and cartridges that don't work.

Also if the RCA jack on the console is a little oxidized then take an emory cloth or really fine sand paper and give it a good wipe. Both the exterior and if possible get inside it so the RCA cable makes a good contact with the jack. 

My Atari 2600 had a fuzzy image, but after I cleaned up the RCA it worked well. The 2600 has a hard-wired cable on the console end, but I cleaned up the male end at the end of the cable. 

Also, I am using an old CRT. As others here have mentioned, if you are going directly into a modern HDTV then that ain't gonna work well. Modern TVs are looking for a digital signal and not the old boob-tube signals of the good ol' days.  So if your Atari is crystal clear on it then lucky you. 

When I connect my consoles to my modern TV I have use a vcr to connect to the consoles and use composite out of the vcr into my modern TV. 

• Like 1