IGNORED

clock question

dudeguy

I don't foresee an issue, assuming the battery on the controller board is fine.

Pretty any Dreamcast that hasn't had its internal battery replaced will need a new one. I am not sure how long they last, but it is important to get the right kind (ML 2032).

Edited by cybercylon
edited for grammar.

9 hours ago, dudeguy said:

If everything functions 100% correctly, should I be able to set the time, turn the Dreamcast off, throw it in my closet for a year, open it back up a year later and have the time still be accurate?

That will depend.

The original battery is a rechargeable type and the way it was designed to work, was that it required you to power on and use the DC from time to time to keep the battery charged. In my case, I've found as little as a month of non use is enough to kill the clock/date setting and I have a newish (Installed like 2 years ago) rechargeable battery installed in a holder in my DC.

Now if you instead were to install a non rechargeable type, cut the power that would normally try to charge the battery and just put a standard 2032 in there, it might last longer, but I don't know how much longer as the RTC in these consoles tends to be the biggest power item on the batteries.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Speaking of the RTC... I heard rumors back in the day... that there were games for the Dreamcast that changed depending on the time of day and the time of year?

Like, if you were playing a specific RPG, and it was winter time, it would be snowing outside in the RPG... etc. Is this true?

6 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Speaking of the RTC... I heard rumors back in the day... that there were games for the Dreamcast that changed depending on the time of day and the time of year?

Like, if you were playing a specific RPG, and it was winter time, it would be snowing outside in the RPG... etc. Is this true?

I remember Sonic having a winter/Christmas theme in the main town around that time and being blown away by it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 8:33 AM, 82-T/A said:

playing a specific RPG,

Phantasy Star Online has lit up Christmas trees that appear in the hub ship around Christmas.

Seaman uses the clock to grow your Seaman from day to day. Also to kill him off if you don't turn it on and pay attention to him and feed him everyday. Really clock manipulation is how to play Seaman without having to turn it on for 10min a day everyday. 

On 4/26/2023 at 3:32 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

Sonic

Really? I'm blown away I didn't know that. I may have to check that out now.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2023 at 8:33 AM, 82-T/A said:

Metropolis Street Racer is one... the time of day would be based on the real time you were playing it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2023 at 7:33 AM, 82-T/A said:

Christmas Nights into Dreams.  If you set the clock to December 25 it has special graphics (including Santa) and Christmas music

• Like 1