IGNORED

Atari 7800 versus Atari lynx?

Ecernosoft

52 minutes ago, Astal4 said:

Even the Switch is only 720p, which for 2017 when it released is quite low. Fair point. 

33 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

What about Steamdeck's 800p in 2022, then?

Both have 1080p video output as an option when connected to a monitor. But I think we're old enough to regard 720p as a monstrous resolution :)

10 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

I disagree and I disagree. :)

Seriously, the Lynx has a really low resolution compared to the 7800 and this has a significant impact on the gameplay, this results in a fairly narrow playing field with large sprites or, alternatively, it is necessary to use small sprites with very low resolution and elementary detail (as happens in Ms. Pac-Man).

That's my point!

Even in it's lowest resolution (160C) it has more than 10 times the colors on screen.

And the lynx still can't do a "Fake 480P" (Similar to sega genesis?)

44 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

That's my point!

Even in it's lowest resolution (160C) it has more than 10 times the colors on screen.

And the lynx still can't do a "Fake 480P" (Similar to sega genesis?)

On the 7800 you really don't need to use tricks to get more colors, leave this practice to second generation systems that have monochrome sprites. On 7800 you can have up to 25 colors per scan line (only 16 colors on Lynx) and the resolution 320 (or 160) x 224 compared to 160 x _102_ on Lynx.

11 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

On the 7800 you really don't need to use tricks to get more colors, leave this practice to second generation systems that have monochrome sprites. On 7800 you can have up to 25 colors per scan line (only 16 colors on Lynx) and the resolution 320 (or 160) x 224 compared to 160 x _102_ on Lynx.

That's also true.

Although, you really want to do it at ???*192 due to CRT stuff.

7 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Both have 1080p video output as an option when connected to a monitor. But I think we're old enough to regard 720p as a monstrous resolution :)

Yeah, but going from HD to 720p and back is hard. 

I remember thinking my WII-U was so sharp and clear! Then i saw the switch's 4K output and then the WII-U looked blurry. Everything is relative. 

I haven't used my switch in over a year, though.

55 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

That's also true.

Although, you really want to do it at ???*192 due to CRT stuff.

I wouldn't worry about that, most modern CRTs have no problem displaying a vertical resolution of 224 and some 7800 games use this resolution and have used this resolution as well NES and Master System.

Just now, Defender_2600 said:

I wouldn't worry about that, most modern CRTs have no problem displaying a vertical resolution of 224 and some 7800 games use this resolution and have used this resolution as well NES and Master System.

Modern CRT?

also, when you do, you also deal with more DMA.

24 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Modern CRT?

also, when you do, you also deal with more DMA.

Absolutely, production between 1985 - 2010. I have a Philips HD ready 720p - 1080i CRT with HDMI, 32 inch 16:9 wide, image depth and speed in horizontal scrolling, no drag, destroy any flat screen TV. Zero latency and perfect black color. Believe us.

P.S. Again, the vertical resolution of 192 is a limitation of the second generation systems, the third generation goes up to 240.

8 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Absolutely, production between 1985 - 2010. I have a Philips HD ready 720p - 1080i CRT with HDMI, 32 inch 16:9 wide, image depth and speed in horizontal scrolling, no drag, destroy any flat screen TV. Zero latency and perfect black color. Believe us.

P.S. Again, the vertical resolution of 192 is a limitation of the second generation systems, the third generation goes up to 240.

photo???

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Yeah, but going from HD to 720p and back is hard. 

I remember thinking my WII-U was so sharp and clear! Then i saw the switch's 4K output and then the WII-U looked blurry. Everything is relative. 

I haven't used my switch in over a year, though.

There is some confusion here, Switch does not generate 4K video output, so the TV scaler is intervening. Ideally, the console's video output should be the same as the display's native resolution to avoid artifacts and latency due to video signal processing.
Of course, the size of the TV also makes a difference, 720p isn't bad on 32 inch TV but it won't look as good on 50 inch TV.

23 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

photo???

Good question, unfortunately due to lack of space, I no longer installed it after my last move. I have some CRTs and I use them in rotation, as needed.

https://www.philips.it/c-p/32PW9551_12/cineos-real-flat-da-32-pollici-con-scansione-digitale-da-100-hz