IGNORED

Dragonwood - little game for the Atari 8 bitters

Steril707

On 9/12/2022 at 11:51 AM, Beeblebrox said:

One of the things I always loved about the Flashback game, (the sequel in many respects to Another World), was the level design and clever use of a faided jungle background to give the illusion of depth:

Flashback Longplay (Amiga) [50 FPS] - YouTube

Incidentally I had a go at a Rastaconverted image at last year or so just for fun:

Both great games, but I did always wish they were scrolling instead of screen-to-screen, then they could have added some parallax scrolling to the backgrounds for much more depth perception. Of course I always feel like there aren't enough scrolling platformers with background parallax, something the Atari is pretty good at from what I've seen in demos and some games over the years. Even magazine type-ins...

• Like 2

And one more little video. 

Added some animations and other stuff. 

Will have the Dragon shot a flame tomorrow, add a death animation for the player, and over the next week create the rest of the screens, and then I will get my little demo out for you guys to try.

It's been a bit of a longer ride than I anticipated (although I had some long breaks inbeetwen), but it was a lot of fun so far. 

The A8s are really nice machines, and my 600XL is here to stay.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

And one more. 

Added a death sequence and couple of other small things that might be not noticed immediately but are needed for the game to work.

As you can see, a couple small glitches are still in there as well..

Getting rid of this, having projectiles (player's and Dragon's) and the player duck under them  are the last steps, then my demo is finished.

Edited by Steril707
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Steril707 said:

Hey mate.

Have been through a bit of a rough patch lately, so didn't have time to finish my demo.

If you want, you can check it out, with bugs, weird jump behaviours that I didn't attend to yet, and a screen where nothing happens yet.

dragonwood_alpha_01.xex 17.28 kB · 0 downloads

Sorry to hear that. Hope things are better?  

:)

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 2:44 AM, Steril707 said:

Hey mate.

Have been through a bit of a rough patch lately, so didn't have time to finish my demo.

If you want, you can check it out, with bugs, weird jump behaviours that I didn't attend to yet, and a screen where nothing happens yet.

dragonwood_alpha_01.xex 17.28 kB · 51 downloads

Dear Steril707 in your honor of your effort Atari 8 bits for ever wants to share its full game play of your great preview game. Best wishes for you. Keep on doing your best.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone creating a video. It's kind of fun to just post a xex here, and on the next day there are already three videos of it on youtube... :D

That said, my "nom de guerre" as a game coder is "Tigerskunk", not Steril707 which I just use for this forum.

Thanks... ;)

Edited by Steril707
  • Like 4