IGNORED

Tears of the Kingdom

bluejay

Ah I haven't done the actual quest yet, I just explored a little under the labyrinths and to get into the lost woods.  I'll have to do that then.

I do have a ton of zonaite from my limited time down there though, but I didn't know what to use it for.  I don't have auto hold yet either, I guess I need to do more of the main quests.  Right now I somehow got roped into the water temple quest because I wanted to Zora armor.  I'm so doing things out of order... 

Building an efficient hoverbike makes a lot of the game MUCH better.

Explore the underground, get zonite, and expand your battery... and build a hoverbike with two fans and a control stick.  You'll be able to fly nearly anywhere.

1 minute ago, DavidD said:

Explore the underground, get zonite, and expand your battery... and build a hoverbike with two fans and a control stick.  You'll be able to fly nearly anywhere.

I've got the zonite, how do I expand my battery?  I think there was a machine by one of the early shrines that did something with zonite.

Just now, Tempest said:

I've got the zonite, how do I expand my battery?  I think there was a machine by one of the early shrines that did something with zonite.

It's a two step process:

1) In the underground, there are several mines near large circular pads with a furnace nearby.  Each furnace has a robot that will swap zonite for "processed zonite."  You want to swap your zonite for as much processed zonite (NOT CHARGES) as you can.

2) On the surface, near the entrance of the central town near Hyrule Castle, there is a small pillar with a robot on top.  He'll turn your processed zonite (crystals?) into battery upgrades.  After you fully expand your battery, you can upgrade each cell to a double charge.

I can literally fly from the surface to the upper cloud islands using the 3 part hoverbike.  It makes the game a lot less annoying.

Thanks for sharing that info, DavidD!  I was a bit fuzzy on how to go about that myself.

I've just been hopping from tower to tower, opening the map and finding glyphs and any easy-to-get-to shrines. I'm making my east now and just liberated a village from "pirates" (tough moblins and what not).  My weapons are not powerful but I felt compelled to try.  After a few attempts of tryin' and dyin' I got a good rhythm of killing with my bow while using the huge amount of chill berries I acquired.  I grabbed some big baddie's horn which looked like a battle axe.  This is when it dawns on me-I can slap these suckers on my melee weapons!  I've gotten into a habit of attaching horns and such to my arrows that it never occurred to attempt to use them with anything else!  Ugh, I felt so dense.  I was able to mop up the pirates and then helped an architect rebuild the major buildings of the village. 

There are times I question why I'm playing this game as it feels too much like BOTW at times.  But the puzzles, new ways to get past adversaries and the endearing characters keep me coming back.

7 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

There are times I question why I'm playing this game as it feels too much like BOTW at times.  But the puzzles, new ways to get past adversaries and the endearing characters keep me coming back.

Sometimes TotK does feel like a large expansion pack or 'second quest' for BotW, but the new powers do help make it feel like a new game.  Either way, I don't mind.  I've spent waaaay too much playing this game so far and I don't think I'm even a quarter of the way through it. 

14 hours ago, Tempest said:

Sometimes TotK does feel like a large expansion pack or 'second quest' for BotW, but the new powers do help make it feel like a new game.  Either way, I don't mind.  I've spent waaaay too much playing this game so far and I don't think I'm even a quarter of the way through it. 

TOTK feels more "structured" than BOTW, but at the same time I feel like there are so many different side quests it's easy to get lost...

My best advice is that you should feel free to "cheat" -- beat puzzles/quests in any way the game lets you.  Go places that interest you early, even if it looks crazy.  Use your weapons freely, and keep grabbing "better" ones from the underground.

On 7/13/2023 at 3:58 PM, DavidD said:

I've never got my hover bike to work properly.  I always drift to one side even though I have it constructed (angles of attachments) the way many videos show.  There is some X factor that I'm missing when I'm putting the fans to the control stick. I tend to construct a big 4x4 monster truck construct to roam around the Depths.

I love TotK.  The first time down in the Depths was...amazing.  Someone on the development team has a passion for spelunking or cave diving because of the way the Depths depict the darkness, how the little bit of light ghosts things, and the scope...*Chef kiss*

I enjoyed BotW, but was never wowed by it.  I finished the main story and then explored around.  I put in about 170-ish hours into it.  The problem I found in BotW was that there were many places to explore, but they always ended in a Shrine or Korok seed.  Oh great, another Shrine.  Yay!  I enjoyed myself but after a while the thrill was gone and things became more run of the mill.  TotK has so much more and builds so well off of BotW.  Now things just don't end in a Shrine, there are so many caves, Shrines, Wells, Monsters, and quests.  TotK doesn't feel as empty as BotW did.

What hard to come by materials should I be saving for armor upgrades and which ones should I use/sell?  I've got a ton of silver bobkin/moblin/captain construct IV/etc. parts that I've never done anything with because I'm afraid that some armor upgrade is going to need them.  Same with all the gems I'm hording.  My Link is starting to look like Smaug at this point with all the treasure he's carrying.

Swift Violets are going to be the death of me.  Each bit of climbing armor needs 20 to max it out and I only found them in one place and only 5 at a time.

17 hours ago, Tempest said:

What hard to come by materials should I be saving for armor upgrades and which ones should I use/sell?  I've got a ton of silver bobkin/moblin/captain construct IV/etc. parts that I've never done anything with because I'm afraid that some armor upgrade is going to need them.  Same with all the gems I'm hording.  My Link is starting to look like Smaug at this point with all the treasure he's carrying.

Swift Violets are going to be the death of me.  Each bit of climbing armor needs 20 to max it out and I only found them in one place and only 5 at a time.

That depends entirely on which armor you're trying to focus on upgrading. Some sets, like the Hylian armor, were extremely easy to upgrade to four stars, which I was able to do pretty early on. Others, like the Flamebreaker set, seem impossible to upgrade to max unless you just spend ungodly amounts of time hanging around certain areas in Eldin. Personally, my favorite set has turned out to be the Fierce Deity armor, as it's attack bonus fully upgrade lets you deal out insane levels of damage with each hit, and upgrading it to max wasn't very difficult. The Miner's Armor is something you'll definitely want to upgrade as quickly as you can, as the full glow effect will be helpful when exploring dark areas in the chasms. The Rubber Armor will be a must later on in the main quest, so finding it early and upgrading it as quickly as you can would be a good idea. Also, for some sets like the Climber's Armor, you don't really need to upgrade it fully in order to take advantage of its special effect. Just getting all three pieces upgraded to two stars will do it, and will be fine if you just want to use it for climbing and not fighting. Anyways, here's a list of all of the armor in the game and the materials needed for upgrades.

Oh, as far as Swift Violets are concerned, you can buy them at the general store in Zora's Domain (yes, they're a pain to farm, so it's worth buying out the stock every day if you don't want to spend a whole week collecting enough).

• Thanks 1

Im still in explore mode so I practically live in the climbing armor so that's why I was trying to max it out.  Fierce Deity is next on my list, but I can't seem to get dragon claws no matter where on the foot of the dragon I shoot.  Arrows just seem to bounce off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Im still in explore mode so I practically live in the climbing armor so that's why I was trying to max it out.  Fierce Deity is next on my list, but I can't seem to get dragon claws no matter where on the foot of the dragon I shoot.  Arrows just seem to bounce off.

i switch between the climbing armor and the froggy armor depending on the weather :)  i love the way the froggy armor looks!

3 hours ago, digdugnate said:

i switch between the climbing armor and the froggy armor depending on the weather :)  i love the way the froggy armor looks!

Same.  I just wish it had the less stamina when climbing bonus.

There's froggy armor?  Dang.  I haven't expanded Link's wardrobe much and don't have anything complete.  Furry pants here, the wing-shirt there, rubber shirt for raves, the miner's shirt to be a poor man's Iron Man, Fierce Diety boots for stompin' and the Hylian shirt Zelda tucked away for me.  I found one stinkin' fairy and she wants musicians.  I found a horn blower that I freed from a pit but haven't tripped on anyone else in the troupe.

38 minutes ago, Gamemoose said:

There's froggy armor?  Dang.  I haven't expanded Link's wardrobe much and don't have anything complete.  Furry pants here, the wing-shirt there, rubber shirt for raves, the miner's shirt to be a poor man's Iron Man, Fierce Diety boots for stompin' and the Hylian shirt Zelda tucked away for me.  I found one stinkin' fairy and she wants musicians.  I found a horn blower that I freed from a pit but haven't tripped on anyone else in the troupe.

Froggy armor is from completing all 12 side uets at the various stables for the lucky clover gazette.  It takes time and is kind of a pain in the butt.  The four fairy side quests are worse because you have to cart the musicians to each fairy and you can't go too fast or get too bumpy or they complain. I wanted to murder them by the end.

Is there a good place to farm fire keese wings?  Can't seem to find many even around the volcano area.

10 hours ago, Tempest said:

Froggy armor is from completing all 12 side uets at the various stables for the lucky clover gazette.  It takes time and is kind of a pain in the butt.  The four fairy side quests are worse because you have to cart the musicians to each fairy and you can't go too fast or get too bumpy or they complain. I wanted to murder them by the end.

Is there a good place to farm fire keese wings?  Can't seem to find many even around the volcano area.

Oh gosh, the musicians.  I did that as soon as I could realistically and, yes, major pain in the butt.  I actually preferred to do the side quests for the froggy armor, lol

I had the most luck around the volcano, strangely, for fire keese wings.  around NW of the base is where i found the most.

5 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I had the most luck around the volcano, strangely, for fire keese wings.  around NW of the base is where i found the most.

Thanks I'll check around there.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with 99% of the shrines now.  There are a few I can't get to at the moment though.  One needs the power from the Goron hero to get into the cave where it is and another one is in the sky in the Rising Islands Chain but is too high for me to get to (although I probably could by rocket or something).   Unless there are shrines in the depths I'm pretty darn close (I'm rescanning the map to make sure). 

EDIT: Looks like there are 152 total and I'm at 139.  Looks like I need to check out the sky more.

On 7/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, Tempest said:

Keep in mind that with each dragon, you can only take a piece of it once every ten real-world minutes (not counting the horn shards you can just pick up on the back). If you're trying to farm claws, make sure you aren't hitting any other part of the dragon before trying to hit the claw.

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Keep in mind that with each dragon, you can only take a piece of it once every ten real-world minutes (not counting the horn shards you can just pick up on the back). If you're trying to farm claws, make sure you aren't hitting any other part of the dragon before trying to hit the claw.

Yeah that must have been it, I must have accidentally gotten a scale the first time without knowing it and then couldn't get the claw.

I hit all the shrines and got my Aspect of Hero which sounds cool but is going to be a bitch to upgrade.  I might just stick with the fierce deity armor.

16 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Yeah that must have been it, I must have accidentally gotten a scale the first time without knowing it and then couldn't get the claw.

I hit all the shrines and got my Aspect of Hero which sounds cool but is going to be a bitch to upgrade.  I might just stick with the fierce deity armor.

Well that's one thing I haven't done yet, actually. I've definitely gotten most of the shrines, but I'm going to have to really dig to find any that I'm currently missing. I just looked up the upgrade requirements for that armor, and yes, upgrading it to max is going to take a LOT of work. Some of the upgrade materials are ones that are among the most powerful fuses with weapons, so I'll have to hold off on using them. Time to go hunt down some more gleeoxes (ugh).

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well that's one thing I haven't done yet, actually. I've definitely gotten most of the shrines, but I'm going to have to really dig to find any that I'm currently missing. I just looked up the upgrade requirements for that armor, and yes, upgrading it to max is going to take a LOT of work. Some of the upgrade materials are ones that are among the most powerful fuses with weapons, so I'll have to hold off on using them. Time to go hunt down some more gleeoxes (ugh).

I think figuring out which shrines I was missing took longer than doing the actual shrines!  There's no record of which ones you've visited other than a map icon which makes it impossible to cross check a list by name.  It's quite an oversight.

so how do you take down gleeox?  He always flies up in the air and there's no good way to get up to him.   

51 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I think figuring out which shrines I was missing took longer than doing the actual shrines!  There's no record of which ones you've visited other than a map icon which makes it impossible to cross check a list by name.  It's quite an oversight.

so how do you take down gleeox?  He always flies up in the air and there's no good way to get up to him.   

Using keese or aerocuda eyeballs attached to arrows helps a lot, as well as using the multi-shot bows dropped by Lynels. When you've got a gleeox down to about 1/3 or less HP, they'll change up the attack pattern and fly waaaay up, which means the method you use to get high enough to hit them will depend on which type you're fighting. Fire gleeoxes will shoot down a massive fireball that will burn any surface hot enough to cause an updraft, which you can then ride up high enough to hit them. Ice gleeoxes will shoot down ice shards that you can get on top of and then use recall on to ride up into the sky. Electric gleeoxes shoot down bolts of lightning that will then open up fissures in the ground that have updrafts. If you happen to be fighting the King Gleeox, he will use a combination of all three types of attacks. They're pretty easy once you've figured out the attack patterns, and if you're using strong weapons as well as Savage Lynel Bows, you'll beat them pretty quickly.