IGNORED

Tears of the Kingdom

bluejay

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

Using keese or aerocuda eyeballs attached to arrows helps a lot, as well as using the multi-shot bows dropped by Lynels. When you've got a gleeox down to about 1/3 or less HP, they'll change up the attack pattern and fly waaaay up, which means the method you use to get high enough to hit them will depend on which type you're fighting. Fire gleeoxes will shoot down a massive fireball that will burn any surface hot enough to cause an updraft, which you can then ride up high enough to hit them. Ice gleeoxes will shoot down ice shards that you can get on top of and then use recall on to ride up into the sky. Electric gleeoxes shoot down bolts of lightning that will then open up fissures in the ground that have updrafts. If you happen to be fighting the King Gleeox, he will use a combination of all three types of attacks. They're pretty easy once you've figured out the attack patterns, and if you're using strong weapons as well as Savage Lynel Bows, you'll beat them pretty quickly.

Yeah I need to get down to the depths and get some real weapons instead of this rusted crap I have before I try that.  I have a Savage Lynel Bow but I save that for emergencies because it's awesome. 

Is it worth using shock/flame/frost proof armor when fightning them or should I go with my highest defense armor?

11 hours ago, Tempest said:

Yeah I need to get down to the depths and get some real weapons instead of this rusted crap I have before I try that.  I have a Savage Lynel Bow but I save that for emergencies because it's awesome. 

Is it worth using shock/flame/frost proof armor when fightning them or should I go with my highest defense armor?

That armor can help, although if you become adept at quickly hitting their heads and wailing on them when they're down, it won't really matter which armor you use. I've found that increasing damage output is the best option when fighting strong monsters like the gleeox. Really though, you shouldn't back away from farming some Lynels, their bows are simply second to none, and having them helps immensely in taking down any gleeox quickly. White and silver lynels also have awesome shields, plus they both drop Savage Lynel Bows, which are the strongest bows you'll find in the game. It'll take some getting used to fighting them, though.

BTW I managed to finish up all of the shrines last night and now have the Aspect of the Hero armor. It's certainly going to take some time to get it upgraded fully. And just when I thought I would go ahead and finish up the main quest...

I've been farming Lynels but guts are few and far between.  I've gotten pretty good at getting to high ground and pummeling them with a savage lynel bow with bones from those desert zombies that I had a stockpile of since they add 40 damage.  I'm running low on them though so I'm going to have to switch to something else.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

I've been farming Lynels but guts are few and far between.  I've gotten pretty good at getting to high ground and pummeling them with a savage lynel bow with bones from those desert zombies that I had a stockpile of since they add 40 damage.  I'm running low on them though so I'm going to have to switch to something else.

It never even occurred to me to try that. Lynels are still the toughest monsters in the game, same as from BotW. However, you should be able to beat them easily if you know how to fight them properly. One common strategy is to hit them in the face with an arrow, which will stun them, and then mount their back and wail on them with your strongest weapon until they shake you off. One nice thing about this is that the weapon you use DOES NOT wear down when hitting them while mounted. I think this only works with a one-handed weapon. I usually keep a pretty strong weapon in my inventory just for this purpose, and only use it to hit Lynels when I'm mounted on them, and switch it out with another when I'm not. If you're having trouble with getting face hits on them, the ol' keese eyeball arrow trick helps a lot. 

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

It never even occurred to me to try that. Lynels are still the toughest monsters in the game, same as from BotW. However, you should be able to beat them easily if you know how to fight them properly. One common strategy is to hit them in the face with an arrow, which will stun them, and then mount their back and wail on them with your strongest weapon until they shake you off. One nice thing about this is that the weapon you use DOES NOT wear down when hitting them while mounted. I think this only works with a one-handed weapon. I usually keep a pretty strong weapon in my inventory just for this purpose, and only use it to hit Lynels when I'm mounted on them, and switch it out with another when I'm not. If you're having trouble with getting face hits on them, the ol' keese eyeball arrow trick helps a lot. 

I never thought to do that either.  I'll have to try that because not every Lynel has a rock or cliff you can climb up (they will find you if there's a slope).  The easiest Lynel to do this on is the one in the tropical area by where the pirate ship is.  He's down in a valley with steep cliffs.  There's another one in a swap near that area with tall fat trees that you can snipe from.

• Like 1

I never thought to do that either.  I'll have to try that because not every Lynel has a rock or cliff you can climb up (they will find you if there's a slope).  The easiest Lynel to do this on is the one in the tropical area by where the pirate ship is.  He's down in a valley with steep cliffs.  There's another one in a swap near that area with tall fat trees that you can snipe from.

That one on Faron is a Silver Lynel, which is the toughest one in the game, not counting the ones with rock armor down in the chasms. Sniping from far away is probably the best strategy with those, as they tend to carry two-handed weapons and do a spin attack that's nearly impossible to dodge if you're up close. I'll have to try that and see how well it works for me.

I just got through the Water Temple this weekend.  Since I've been gallavanting around Hyrule and in the sky, I picked up some Zonai hydrants which made the boss battle a lot easier IMO.  I've now completed the Zora armor set.

I ran into a glitch with a dog and Mizo's (?) Treasure Hunt.  When you feed dogs to befriend them, they will follow you and sniff out treasure and such. The dognear this treasure cave would just turn around and walk back to camp as soon as you two approached the opening. I found the chest anyway.

I finally got around to exploring the depths and have been working on my battery.  Much like the Korok seeds, I'll never max it out but I think I have it as large as I need.  I also dealt with the ninja leader and all that which was fun (I always imagine his voice sounds like Wallace Shawn for some reason).  Now I'm doing the Call From the Depths quest to get that last heart container before continuing with the main quest.  I think I'm pretty much done with the side quests unless they have significant story attached to them.  I don't need to do 500 fetch quests for 20 Rupees and a 'thanks' comment, but some of the side quests I've stumbled upon (like the ninja side quests) were fun because there was some actual plot to them.  I wish there was a way to know which ones were worth doing.

I got the lightning helm as a reward for one of the ninja quests and thought it was pretty pointless since I have the full rubber set, but I found that it's extremely fun to put it on during a thunderstorm and walk up to enemies and wait for a lightning strike.  It's pretty situational, but I took down some silver moblins that way purely by accident.

I finished up every quest except for the one where I have to find and report every well, as I really don't know which ones I'm missing. Oh well (no pun intended). The main quest is on it's last bit, where I have to drop down into the depths under Hyrule Castle, but I've been holding off on completing it. Guess I just gotta try to finish upgrading armor as much as possible. 

24 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I finished up every quest except for the one where I have to find and report every well, as I really don't know which ones I'm missing. Oh well (no pun intended). The main quest is on it's last bit, where I have to drop down into the depths under Hyrule Castle, but I've been holding off on completing it. Guess I just gotta try to finish upgrading armor as much as possible. 

Easiest way to tell would be to get an online map that shows all the wells and look at your in-game map to see which you're missing.  I don't think there's any ultimate prize for finding them all though.

Easiest way to tell would be to get an online map that shows all the wells and look at your in-game map to see which you're missing.  I don't think there's any ultimate prize for finding them all though.

Yeah, I simply don't see any payoff that would be worth the effort, outside of just being a completionist. In fact, I've probably done just about every armor upgrade that is worth doing, so I'll probably just finish up the main quest pretty soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I found all the wells and got a snow globe from the woman in the well at Lookout Landing.  Been trying to get all the monster metals.  Hard for me to play for very long do to sleep apnea making me drowsy all the time. I wish the sleep doctor would call me for a cpac machine.

• 4 months later...
On 5/12/2023 at 1:26 PM, Sir Guntz said:

Weapons breaking, cooking food and walking endlessly is fun?

This was the impression I got from BotW. Id also add- confusing, not sure where to go, endless empty spaces devoid of any action, no enemies that make me think "Zelda", the weapons just did nothing for me, couldn't find any actual dungeons

7 hours ago, dudeguy said:

This was the impression I got from BotW. Id also add- confusing, not sure where to go, endless empty spaces devoid of any action, no enemies that make me think "Zelda", the weapons just did nothing for me, couldn't find any actual dungeons

If you think that's bad do NOT buy tears, don't even download it and emulate it even.  Tears is so damn big even before you get into sky and under with a very murky sense of progression it hurts, when you've walked the map for 2 hours and do a few things to find you got a 0.1% progress...it's a gut punch.  Ever since my week long power outage last July I never went back, it was too too time sucking especially now with the job i picked up the following August.  I wish Nintendo would stick with this format, but if it gets as big and likely (because you know MORE is ALWAYS BETTER RIGHT?!?!) gets even larger I wouldn't buy it at all.  They need to learn a sense of balance.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If you think that's bad do NOT buy tears, don't even download it and emulate it even.  Tears is so damn big even before you get into sky and under with a very murky sense of progression it hurts, when you've walked the map for 2 hours and do a few things to find you got a 0.1% progress...it's a gut punch.  Ever since my week long power outage last July I never went back, it was too too time sucking especially now with the job i picked up the following August.  I wish Nintendo would stick with this format, but if it gets as big and likely (because you know MORE is ALWAYS BETTER RIGHT?!?!) gets even larger I wouldn't buy it at all.  They need to learn a sense of balance.

They've lost their minds. They recently said that the old Zelda model of open world with 5-10 dungeons and some side quests, that whole formula is "outdated." the guy who owes his entire fortune to that formula is saying it's crap.

@dudeguy I do agree it is outdated, but I don't think it should be retired either.  The formula of theirs got very stale much like how you played one Pokemon kind of played them all, wash rinse repeat.  The sales over generation were decreasing with a game or two of the totality being an exception so I get where they're coming from.  I just feel they have enough staff, even now more than ever that they farm out work and killed the console division so they're not splitting assets they could do one of BOTH style just fine to appease whoever.  I'd be ok doing an old one again perhaps, but I prefer BotW these days yet I can't stand the creaking painfully slow demoralizingly large Tears...Tears of the Kingdom, Tears of Making Progress in the Kingdom.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@dudeguy I do agree it is outdated, but I don't think it should be retired either.  The formula of theirs got very stale much like how you played one Pokemon kind of played them all, wash rinse repeat.  The sales over generation were decreasing with a game or two of the totality being an exception so I get where they're coming from.  I just feel they have enough staff, even now more than ever that they farm out work and killed the console division so they're not splitting assets they could do one of BOTH style just fine to appease whoever.  I'd be ok doing an old one again perhaps, but I prefer BotW these days yet I can't stand the creaking painfully slow demoralizingly large Tears...Tears of the Kingdom, Tears of Making Progress in the Kingdom.

Ive always said that if Nintendo made a sequel to Majora's Mask on the N64 and made it an exclusive for the console, they could probably charge whatever they wanted and that game would sell out in seconds. And yes I know there is 0% chance of that happening. Those games were nearly universally loved and most people I talk to say that's when the series peaked (more specifically, OoT)

9 hours ago, dudeguy said:

Ive always said that if Nintendo made a sequel to Majora's Mask on the N64 and made it an exclusive for the console, they could probably charge whatever they wanted and that game would sell out in seconds. And yes I know there is 0% chance of that happening. Those games were nearly universally loved and most people I talk to say that's when the series peaked (more specifically, OoT)

I don't know... if they did this in theory, they'd had to have begged me, then paid me to play that mess. :)  I like the story and concept but that game...  The manga of it is great.

47 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I don't know... if they did this in theory, they'd had to have begged me, then paid me to play that mess. :)  I like the story and concept but that game...  The manga of it is great.

I don't know what the manga is but I know a lot of people didn't like the time aspect and losing your rupees and items. I love the game, it's a great companion to OoT but I prefer playing OoT because the music is more memorable, I like the characters more, and MM is pretty depressing whereas OoT just seemed more cheerful. and I prefer playing as adult Link than I do young Link

8 hours ago, dudeguy said:

I don't know what the manga is but I know a lot of people didn't like the time aspect and losing your rupees and items. I love the game, it's a great companion to OoT but I prefer playing OoT because the music is more memorable, I like the characters more, and MM is pretty depressing whereas OoT just seemed more cheerful. and I prefer playing as adult Link than I do young Link

The manga is a decently thick Japanese pocket comic that follows the story of the game so you can basically get the total lore, key moments, some interjected other bits to make it transition better and be more smooth without game play being done.  It's a group of two women who conjoined their names into a pen name and have done most the stories from Twilight Princess and before, and that one they went overkill and did like a dozen books instead of just 1-2.  TP aside they rolled up their stuff in the US into a nice box set of 10 originally in standard print but have legendary editions now which are larger size.

I fall into the group that detest the masks and time skip/losses around it, it's a shit mechanics, and most the masks are asinine fetch quests for optional fluff -- garbage to round out a package of a game that's too short because they had to cram something out using the old ocarina engine due to lack of consumer interest.  The game shows it, it's just not fun, the only quality was the story, not the mechanics.  That's why I like the book and other media about that game, not the game itself I've called Majora's Mistake for over 20 years now because that's what it is.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The manga is a decently thick Japanese pocket comic that follows the story of the game so you can basically get the total lore, key moments, some interjected other bits to make it transition better and be more smooth without game play being done.  It's a group of two women who conjoined their names into a pen name and have done most the stories from Twilight Princess and before, and that one they went overkill and did like a dozen books instead of just 1-2.  TP aside they rolled up their stuff in the US into a nice box set of 10 originally in standard print but have legendary editions now which are larger size.

I fall into the group that detest the masks and time skip/losses around it, it's a shit mechanics, and most the masks are asinine fetch quests for optional fluff -- garbage to round out a package of a game that's too short because they had to cram something out using the old ocarina engine due to lack of consumer interest.  The game shows it, it's just not fun, the only quality was the story, not the mechanics.  That's why I like the book and other media about that game, not the game itself I've called Majora's Mistake for over 20 years now because that's what it is.

All I'll say is Great Bay Temple can suck it. I hated that f***ing level with a burning passion. I put the game off for maybe a decade because I couldn't get past it at the time

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 4:27 AM, Tanooki said:

Yeah the manga is super cute, I enjoyed every page of it. I found a fan translation on an old website that now seems to be defunct. The translation was super well done, wish I could find it again. Seems that the archives weren't saved to the wayback machine.

While I haven't read the TP series, I always felt that the rest of Himekawa manga was way too fast paced and just made everything seem so simple and easy (as opposed to epic adventure/quagmire the games were) so it sounds pretty cool that they made it super long I guess? I'll have to check that out.

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bluejay said:

Yeah the manga is super cute, I enjoyed every page of it. I found a fan translation on an old website that now seems to be defunct. The translation was super well done, wish I could find it again. Seems that the archives weren't saved to the wayback machine.

While I haven't read the TP series, I always felt that the rest of Himekawa manga was way too fast paced and just made everything seem so simple and easy (as opposed to epic adventure/quagmire the games were) so it sounds pretty cool that they made it super long I guess? I'll have to check that out.

I mean I could see that I suppose since they're shoving the big game story into a book, two, or half of a book outside of TP that went on to do over 10 volumes.  I used to have 500 maybe 600+ of the books years ago but I skimmed down to around 175 or so and largely because I have not one offs but standing series that go awhile, some fairly long like Dragon Ball and Ranma, Golgo 13 too.  Zelda is another I'd put into that box of plenty and worth retaining.