IGNORED

I FINALLY beat super mario after 28 years

On 11/25/2022 at 11:47 PM, MaximRecoil said:

"Trivial nonsense"? You're the one who volunteered your anecdote about beating SMB 2 when you were ~12, and described it as "quite easy." How can you remember it being "quite easy" but not remember, even roughly, how long it took you to beat it?

It is “trivial nonsense” to me.  If you or anyone else fills differently, that’s fine too.  With the exception of the very few that stuck with me (usually because there’s a life impacting story along with those) I just never cared to notice and remember if the many, many games I’ve played as a kid were finished in an hour, an afternoon,  a whole weekend, etc.  Never mattered to me.

You’re right about one thing, though.  I did voluntarily stagger into this pissing contest.  That was my mistake. So I’ll go ahead and bounce right out.  Best of luck to you on your quest to convince everyone your way of thinking is and must be The Way.  

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Ahem..

OK.

I like to go back to SMB and see how far I can get with 1 life....  Nice to see if I can still beat the game with 1 life using warps* and then see how far I get warpless.

*Hint: I can't any more.  :)

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, davyK said:

I like to go back to SMB and see how far I can get with 1 life....  Nice to see if I can still beat the game with 1 life using warps* and then see how far I get warpless.:)

It's very much doable if you play smart. Take advantage of that fireflower!

• 2 weeks later...

I got really close a few yers ago but never did finish it as a kid.  Once I got a game genie it was a breeze  but before it was too hard.  But there was a 30 extra lives trick.  And after you loose if you hold the A button down then press start if picks up where you left off.  Like on world 8 for example.  Not 8-1 but at least vbetter than starting all over.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never beat SMB either, and likely why my Retron still works, lol. Threw many controllers at the TV, or spiked them in my brothers' laps. Playing that one, would actually affect how I treated others for days, so I just stopped. I've beaten 3, passed on 2 after one try, but still love the original Mario Bros. I had C=, and Sega, and the boys had the NES, so abstaining was easy. I find vast majority of the library on NES, to be crazy difficult. Then again, my brothers said similar when trying to play my SMS games.

On the upside, I don't miss having to "talk this guy down" anymore. Until seeing this thread today, I'd had the impression I was dealing with a minor.

I've beaten SMB numerous times. With the A+Start trick you can eventually brute force your way to the final level, though personally I find it much easier to complete if you go into 8-1 with a fire flower. The bigger issue I have playing it now is that the movement mechanics are simply less refined when compared to Mario Maker 2 or Super Mario Bros. 35