IGNORED

Is Skyhammer the most ambitious Jaguar game?

Cobra Kai

On 10/3/2022 at 4:46 AM, JagChris said:

Doesn't MC3D use transparency?

I meant alpha channel transparency. I think it can do shadows. So my bad. So pixel count is not fixed. I just propose to instruct the art department to use solid polygon models and avoid grids or lattice or jagged textures. Also I we need to read destination data anyway for z - reject. I  am not sure about the color coding for transparency. Only thing is that a solid span can end up in the middle of a phrase, but we don't need to read. I don't get why it is not consistent. It is just another point to try occlusion culling on the GPU ( Doom ) and sadly not use the z-buffer. I mena, if they want us to read the destination anytime, and pixel mode is like 5 cycles per pixel, why not have naivé 4 bit multiplication for alpha. Ah no, Atari did not manage to control the carray between the color components ..

I mean: Just dial back on fireballs and explosions in the battle as they are a little too expensive on the jag. Even the OP hogs the bus while it draws one pixel per cycle into the linebuffer. You know: for a zoomed in 16 color sprite which probably already sits in the two source data registers ( 16 bytes ). Use triangles for explosions .. stars .

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ArneCRosenfeldt said:

I meant alpha channel transparency. I think it can do shadows. So my bad. So pixel count is not fixed. I just propose to instruct the art department to use solid polygon models and avoid grids or lattice or jagged textures. Also I we need to read destination data anyway for z - reject. I  am not sure about the color coding for transparency. Only thing is that a solid span can end up in the middle of a phrase, but we don't need to read. I don't get why it is not consistent. It is just another point to try occlusion culling on the GPU ( Doom ) and sadly not use the z-buffer. I mena, if they want us to read the destination anytime, and pixel mode is like 5 cycles per pixel, why not have naivé 4 bit multiplication for alpha. Ah no, Atari did not manage to control the carray between the color components ..

I mean: Just dial back on fireballs and explosions in the battle as they are a little too expensive on the jag. Even the OP hogs the bus while it draws one pixel per cycle into the linebuffer. You know: for a zoomed in 16 color sprite which probably already sits in the two source data registers ( 16 bytes ). Use triangles for explosions .. stars .

Why have you come to Earth, alien!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 9:09 PM, JagChris said:

This has got to be one of the largest collection of programmers to work on a single Jaguar game. 

@Lost Dragon you ever talk to these guys about the development of this game?

1664136443982-817953684.jpg

Sorry Chris, only just seen this. 

From memory, I think i initially did make some megre attempts to contact Rebellion staff who worked on Skyhammer and Legions Of The Undead, without much success, some years ago. 

Then during investigations into Jane Whittaker's claims about his roles and work at Rebellion, it was suggested these people were contacted by members of the team with FB, LinkedIn etc, but i never heard anymore. 

The only Skyhammer extras i came across were the early design documents, which I think i passed onto Atarimania and others. 

It's been so long ago, I really can't remember. 

I know I would of loved to of heard more insights into Jaguar development by voices other than Kingsley Bros, Whittaker and Beaton. 

😭

• Thanks 1